Phono 1 MC

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Phono 1 MC

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

What box are you putting the power supply in .
Mine is in a metal box hidden behind the record shelves.

Contact glue is best, uhu is a bit weak. If your putting it in a metal box you could use the screw and nut fittings that the transformer came with

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

It's going into an acrylic box and it will be visible in my music unit. The box isn't shiny but will not look too out of place, I hope, beside my NVA amps. I will get some Evostik today.

Daniel Quinn

Your using a 500va transformer. Why does it need to be visible. It may be audible. .

Tip. Line your perspex box with copper foil.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Wonfor14 (Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 pm)

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 1ltr/34758

just give it 5-7 days to dry before you glue shut the top ;] - and do not sniff too much as headache guaranteed
These users thanked the author Ithilstone for the post:
Wonfor14 (Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:58 pm)
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

floydfan

Daniel, my equipment is in a shelving unit against the wall so will have to be visible. I have my Phono next to my turntable but have added an extra shelf for the power supply unit. It will be quite far away from the turntable so I hope will not affect the cartridge. One of my A80 Mk 2 mono units does have a hum but I usually listen at high volume so do not notice it. I think rock and heavy metal should be loud. At the moment I am listening to, Metallica, 5 Fingered Death Punch and System of a Down. I hit 70 next year so will probably have to crank up the music a bit more to allow for failing hearing.

floydfan

Finished the new power supply and am having a listening session with a variety of music, from Don McLean to ELO via deep Purple, Pink Floyd next. Daniel was right; there is a big difference with the 500VA transformer. I am not sure why it sounds better but it seems "quicker and bigger", I am not good at review speak.
Daniel, thanks for the help and if you pm your address I will send the loan transformer back to you

Daniel Quinn

Ok, glad you like the mod ,spent all my money on wife's birthday. I couldn't afford to buy your phono 1 🤣