The Scheu Audio Das Laufwerke No 2 Delivered Yesterday

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: The Scheu Audio Das Laufwerke No 2 Delivered Yesterday

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sorry NK, I was not asking for you to tell me the prices you have paid, or even how much each turntable would cost, it was a generalisation remark that they would be in the same 'ballpark' (ooh slipped in a bit of American English to make you feel at home), I will say though you did well with the Dynavector, at least for prices paid over here.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Ah thank you for the kindness, I did catch the end of the Seattle Mariners game last night, there is hope they can make the playoffs this year. It has been 20 years since they played past the regular season, and it is rare that they play any meaningful baseball past August. But the current coaching staff and management may have finally turned the club around.

Even with the Ortofon MC200 cartridge on the Scheu turntable, I have to say I am quite pleased with the overall sound quality I get. I bought the MC200 from a forum member on another site, and the hours are unknown on it but its a cartridge that was released in the late 1970s, and pre-dated the Ortofon MC2000. It cost me $105, and I pretty much listen to it daily. For this kind of cost I will just use it up and then send it off for a diamond only retip.

I put my proxy bid on the Dynavector Karat too low, and it sold for $355. Who knows what the final bid would have been. But I am eyeing an Ortofon MC3000 MK II that happens to have a new diamond installed. The opening bid is $899 and there have been no bids. I am seriously contemplating picking it up, as those series of Ortofon cartridges were revered. The MC3000 is supposed to be compatible with medium mass arms whereas the MC2000 was very high in compliance, had extremely low output voltage, and difficult to pair with an arm. But I suspect that MC2000 owners would still value that cartridge, I suspect it could still be considered a reference quality piece. I almost wonder if I could use one on the Dynavector arm if I went to a low mass headshell for the secondary arm. Well, I think I will watch the MC3000 and bid if its still there at the end of the auction.

All in all the Scheu and Dynavector is a nice combo. As I mentioned earlier, there seem to be several types of Scheu tables for sale in Europe on the secondary market. At their prices I would think they are a good value. I doubt there are significant differences in bearing and motor, which are key components on how a turntable performs.

Here is one example

https://hifiwigwam.com/megastore/produc ... =hifishark

https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649 ... ontroller/

or even this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154475739176?m ... 6462313436

antonio66
Great Britain

Thanks for the links, the first one is most likely sold since the Megastore is years out of date. I hope NK will not mind me posting a link on his thread, but I did see it while looking at his links, just a turntable that is produced using Rega bits plus his own, I would love to hear one of his designs, and they always look good and are well priced https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203519594085 ... SwsFdg2aEV

Neonknight

Well the auction closed and I was the high bidder for an Ortofon MC3000 MK II with oem cantilever and new line contact diamond. Cantilever is straight and from a visual inspection everything looks fine, of course it is returned from the technician and has an hour of run in time on it. I intend to use this as the daily driver on the Scheu turntable, so it should be a fun experiment. In general I like Ortofon cartridges, so I am looking forward to giving it a listen to.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

antonio66 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:04 am Thanks for the links, the first one is most likely sold since the Megastore is years out of date. I hope NK will not mind me posting a link on his thread, but I did see it while looking at his links, just a turntable that is produced using Rega bits plus his own, I would love to hear one of his designs, and they always look good and are well priced https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203519594085 ... SwsFdg2aEV
As an Planar 8 owner I found that link interesting and like you I am wondering how it sounds.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:24 am
antonio66 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:04 am Thanks for the links, the first one is most likely sold since the Megastore is years out of date. I hope NK will not mind me posting a link on his thread, but I did see it while looking at his links, just a turntable that is produced using Rega bits plus his own, I would love to hear one of his designs, and they always look good and are well priced https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203519594085 ... SwsFdg2aEV
As an Planar 8 owner I found that link interesting and like you I am wondering how it sounds.
With a glass platter and a plastic subplatter...my suspicion is that it sounds a bit meh.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

I think you could talk with him and discuss which is the best options for you, especially since those two bits are readily available from 3rd party suppliers. I could be wrong, but I think he just enjoys making tt's, and ends up selling them

Neonknight

So in the past couple of weeks I acquired an Ortofon MC3000 MK II cartridge and installed it on the Scheu table. These are very nice cartridges, and seem to not get the recognition they are due. Perhaps it is because they are from the dark years of analog, and they have not only low output voltage but aluminum cantilevers, so the "technology" of the cartridge appears old. Now these are not cheap, but the quality of sound you get is quite good for the money spent.

Actually I made a comparison one morning between the Well Tempered Reference turntable with a ZYX 4D cartridge on it and the Scheu Audio/Dynavector arm/Ortofon MC3000 MK II and the differences were very minimal. The WTR/ZYX is a bit more rounded on the edges, and the Ortofon is perhaps a bit more capable of teasing out the finest details. But if you had to rate the overall performance levels of both tables, they run neck and neck in my estimation. Perhaps it comes down more to preference than anything else.

Of course this begs the question of why do this at all? Why own tables that are essentially the same? I guess this is why it is a hobby, and its nice to have a casual table that is able to keep pace with your better ones. The ZYX 4D was a $4300 cartridge when I bought it in 2011, and its getting due for a new diamond. Its used value is far lower than that now, but I paid $900 for the Ortofon with a new diamond placed on it, so its essentially a 0 hour cartridge now that it is serviced. I can play it and not feel bad about the hours being racked up on it. But to be honest, it will cost me $500 to get a new diamond on the ZYX, and I could listen to the SOTA while that work is being done. So the Scheu and Ortofon are just an indulgence I really cannot justify. But I do like the sound, so that is that.

antonio66
Great Britain

How many times do I read, it's not that either is better, it's more a case of which one you prefer :grin: As to a second tt as an over indulgence, if you enjoy it do it, you only live once.

Neonknight

antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:33 am How many times do I read, it's not that either is better, it's more a case of which one you prefer :grin: As to a second tt as an over indulgence, if you enjoy it do it, you only live once.
Oh I think you are right, its certainly what we prefer as the listener we have to be the one who is happy with the sound. It has been argued in the past that live unamplified music and instruments should be the target we aim for, and I can see that as a possibility. But to be honest, most of our systems we can afford to own are going to fall short of that and what we can strive for is a sound that makes listening to music enjoyable for us. Isn't that what hi fi started out in the first place, and why we gravitate to it? To make music enjoyable to experience in the comfort of our homes.

Oh the second table I can easily justify. The third table...that is the indulgence that takes a bit more work to come up for a strong argument for. Well except that I have room on my cabinet, and I already got it here. That is what I am going with and sticking with. LOL