Garrard 301/401 v lenco

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Garrard 301/401 v lenco

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I always craved a garrard , once the doc beat me in a auction for £209 for a radiogram with tt, because I was doing his legal work. Not that I am bitter 🤣 . The tt was a garrard 301.

It's the only craving I have left in hifi, Martin Logan's and other electrostatics went by the wayside due to a combination of a bay window and people I respect prefering cubes over them ( hope you are well applemarc and zebbo).

So I've looked at the idler mechanism of a garrard and is there any body who is prepared to say why it is better than a lenco .

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Garrard 301/401 v lenco

Unread post by savvypaul »

I have a 401 and a Lenco.

I think of the 401 as the 'Panzer' - impressively thorough but you wouldn't want to have to fix the gearbox during a battle.

The Lenco is the T34 - solid enough, simple to work on, nothing that doesn't need to be there.

Both turntables are admirable, in their own way, and they both sound very good. I suspect your PTP build might see both of mine off, though.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

I have also wondered on this as the pricing suggests there is quite some difference it's not on my list to chase though (even though the aesthetics are very appealing ☺️) but DQ's posts about his PTP might make me think again about someday progressing on from my modded Lenco but it does work very well as it is.....
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Daniel Quinn

I loved the lenco , the ptp is just better , jaw dropping dynamics.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Sandman (Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 am)

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

I have owned a 401 and a friend is a longtime 301 owner, they are lovely tables. Excellent sound for sure, however if you buy one at this time I suspect you will pay a premium for the Garrard name as its highly valued in the marketplace now. A dozen years ago you could buy a 301 for 700 or 800 USD. About the same for other classic idlers like the 124. Those days are long gone. in the end the Garrard are nicely made, probably the high water mark for the company, and have aftermarket parts easily accessible to restore the table.

I know people who have the Lenco, and have undertaken extensive mods for them. I have not heard their tables but they report that the full monty modded tables are every bit as capable of better than the Garrards and Thorens. But they have modified the chassis to a PTP arrangement, upgraded the bearing, and built a power supply/speed regulation device for the motor. Some have also gone the stacked platter route too. The reality is the table no longer bears much resemblance to a stock Lenco.

Either way makes sense. If you have the DIY abilities the Lenco seems to be a good choice. If you are like me and can barely operate a screw driver then a restored Garrard might be the best choice. Or have a friend who knows how to mod a Lenco.

In the past I have owned a TD124 and a Loricraft restored 401, and both were nice tables. I find I prefer the presentation of a quality direct drive or belt drive table over the idlers. But the idlers do have their charm. In my eye each turntable rig is distinct since there are so many differences in drive units, plinths, arms, cartridges, phono cabling, phono stages, and set up that they will present music in a slightly different manner. So select what you enjoy and revel in the beauty that analog brings to our systems and listening experiences.

Daniel Quinn

I remain sceptical about a power supply .the mains invariably diverts less than 0 5 Hz.

But if Colin manages to do a DIY, I will give it a go

Neonknight

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 pm I remain sceptical about a power supply .the mains invariably diverts less than 0 5 Hz.

But if Colin manages to do a DIY, I will give it a go
Since I no longer own idlers, and never owned a Lenco my knowledge on this is hearsay. As my friend who built one for his Lenco relates it to me its not about deviation from mains voltage that is the issue. But there are artifacts on the AC feed that are spurious hash that has a result of creating vibration within the motor which of course coupled to the platter through the idler wheel. Now this is in the US also, and we don't have your 240V mains, so maybe that comes into play. Apparently this Lenco motor circuit he built, as I understand it there is a DIY circuit and perhaps boards out there for sale, helps reduce the noise floor of the Lenco by optimizing motor performance. Once again I have no first hand knowledge on this, but this person is a pretty practical engineer and he thinks its worth investing in. That is all I know.

Daniel Quinn

A lenco motor takes it speed from the Hz in the mains not voltage. I'm afraid I do not like your friends explanation .

Neonknight

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:53 pm A lenco motor takes it speed from the Hz in the mains not voltage. I'm afraid I do not like your friends explanation .

Yes my mistake. AC motors use the Hz, in the US we are 60 Hz and UK is 50 I think.

Anyways I am in the process of cleaning Mom's house out as she has had to transition to senior assisted care. I am a bit scatter brained.

But here is a link to the boards he used I believe. Also in that page is a link to a lenco thread which has more info. Maybe this is of interest to you. But if not I can be quiet now.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/sharepro ... oller.html

Daniel Quinn

Thanks , I will have a look. Don't worry I make a mistake every hour .