The speakers you gave up for Cubes

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Re: The speakers you gave up for Cubes

Unread post by Latteman »

I never had a set of speakers I actually felt at home with for years- Wharfedale, TDL, Royd Minstrels, Impulse H7 to name a few- I got a pair of Linn Helix and liked them- then made diy cubettes for a laugh- never looked back 👍🏼
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Cubes seem to be room dependent. I think my room is ideal, but do not think they would have worked so well where I used to live. The situation is far less ideal with the second system where the Cubettes are on top of a cupboard with one in front of a wall and the other a window, but they still sound a lot better than the P&S they replaced and are responsive to improvements in the source.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:55 pm Cubes seem to be room dependent. I think my room is ideal, but do not think they would have worked so well where I used to live. The situation is far less ideal with the second system where the Cubettes are on top of a cupboard with one in front of a wall and the other a window, but they still sound a lot better than the P&S they replaced and are responsive to improvements in the source.
I think you are correct Clive, a bay window is certainly not ideal to have cubes in. I find best results are obtained when the two speakers have a similar wall construction behind them and a room layout around them which is symmetrical. Life gets in the way though so you just have to do the best you can.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I gave up Harbeths (P3ESR) for Cubes. I originally went for the Harbs because I wanted a sealed box design - can't stand farting ports - and because I'd given up on the idea of achieving very much bass output (without boom) in my room. The Cubes were the first I heard in my room that combined the timing of a sealed box with worthwhile low frequency impact.

I agree with others that bay windows and high ceilings are not ideal. Mine fire across the smaller dimension of a 16 x 14 feet room, with a solid wall behind, and 9ft ceilings. I think Cubes are excellent in small rooms as they throw up a large sound with lots of depth, and no requirement to always be in 'the hotspot'.

The Cubes also made the Harbs sound like they were playing music from behind a thick woollen blanket.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The listening area of my large room ticks most of the boxes, small, solid consistent wall and ceiling around 9ft. Get a decent sound at the far end.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I didn't exactly swop from Obelisk's for Cubes, just that I didn't have the Shahinians anymore, and the Cubes were the perfect remedy, made me forget about them:

I think you're being a bit harsh on cubes not working in every room, high ceilings according to RD was a no no, but as long as they are placed against a solid wall I see no reason why they shouldn't work: I had my Shahinian's placed either side of a bay window, worked very well there, cubes would not have, but if I'd have had cubes at that time they would have been placed differently and I'm sure would have worked well :ugeek: