What is it about a circuit.

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

What is it about a circuit.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Except for one, there is a refreshing lack of foo on forums these days.

Accept for one form ,Even subjectivist's are refreshingly beyond the days when anything was being advocated. Pity the doc didn't live to see it, but he played an important part .

Building amps as alleviated most of my paranoia ,but one thing remains because of lack of knowledge .

I quite happy to accept ,components effect sound and fewer is better. What I don't know is if the circuit effects sound.

Would the same components in s different circuit sound different, if so why?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: What is it about a circuit.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

The basic transistor gain stage circuit is already pretty simple, but the configuration can be changed.
Have a look here https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tr ... amplifiers for some examples. I think choice of components is important, some transistors are noisier than others and some manufacturers transistors, of the same basic specification, are considered better.

I am sure Colin will be along shortly to explain why he would chose a specific configuration. I am so rusty that I need to keep referring back to training materials to refresh my memory. Which doesn't really help with the fine details.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 pm The basic transistor gain stage circuit is already pretty simple, but the configuration can be changed.
Have a look here https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tr ... amplifiers for some examples. I think choice of components is important, some transistors are noisier than others and some manufacturers transistors, of the same basic specification, are considered better.

I am sure Colin will be along shortly to explain why he would chose a specific configuration. I am so rusty that I need to keep referring back to training materials to refresh my memory. Which doesn't really help with the fine details.
Did I hear you call the Devil.

This site is worth a quick look, the root site is also interesting.
Enjoy Dan:-https://vdocuments.mx/search?q=hobby+electronics
Try and pick up the Mullard Books on Electronic in Audio, they may be on Kindle thing.
I have few here on PDF but file are massive so we could try blocking up GMail and send the via email.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Wonfor14 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:14 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 pm The basic transistor gain stage circuit is already pretty simple, but the configuration can be changed.

Did I hear you call the Devil.

This site is worth a quick look, the root site is also interesting.
Enjoy Dan:-https://vdocuments.mx/search?q=hobby+electronics
Try and pick up the Mullard Books on Electronic in Audio, they may be on Kindle thing.
I have few here on PDF but file are massive so we could try blocking up GMail and send the via email.
We Transfer allows files up to, I think 2GB free of charge.

I have some Mullard data books and I think some may be on the internet, well worth a look for Dan or anyone else thinking of going their own way. Such a shame that a failing small signal transistor makes so little noise :grin:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Google "Mullard Data Book" and there are lots of PDFs to download.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Wonfor14 (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:02 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:29 am Except for one, there is a refreshing lack of foo on forums these days.

Accept for one form ,Even subjectivist's are refreshingly beyond the days when anything was being advocated. Pity the doc didn't live to see it, but he played an important part .

Building amps as alleviated most of my paranoia ,but one thing remains because of lack of knowledge .

I quite happy to accept ,components effect sound and fewer is better. What I don't know is if the circuit effects sound.

Would the same components in s different circuit sound different, if so why?
The circuit trumps everything - it is everything, well almost. Circuit board layout is also important and location of wiring.

You need a lot of knowledge to design say a power amp. Well beyond me and everybody else who frequents this forum except Colin ofc and Steve with his valve amp. We are best advised to use the circuits already designed rather than waste our time designing something terrible or average at best.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Wonfor14 (Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I am difficulty believing different circuits with the same parts will sound different.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 pm I am difficulty believing different circuits with the same parts will sound different.
Undoubtedly they sound different but you need more data, Colin suggested Mullard data books, which I have suggested you will find on line. I am too far from recent to know whether you can use the same transistor in all three basic configurations, you would need to consult the data. However I suggest that the most frequently used configurations, common collector and common emitter, are favoured for good reasons but try them and see what you think.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

The Art of Electronics is good book it is a big heavy going book.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:39 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 pm I am difficulty believing different circuits with the same parts will sound different.
Undoubtedly they sound different but you need more data, Colin suggested Mullard data books, which I have suggested you will find on line. I am too far from recent to know whether you can use the same transistor in all three basic configurations, you would need to consult the data. However I suggest that the most frequently used configurations, common collector and common emitter, are favoured for good reasons but try them and see what you think.
Common Base, Common Collector ,Common Emitter , how about Kerchov config, that makes 4.????