Non USB streaming

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Non USB streaming

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I appreciate your comments, it's real world experience that matters most to me. What's your view of USB v IS2 if used in the same device ?
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

USB streaming using the pi (which i did try), was just awful. My pi had a huge linear PSU and other tweaks. As for the pixel... the closest i'd be able to get to i2s is using the displayport adaptor, which opens up a few other avenues (MHL) to explore as well, but i've not yet tried that.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:54 pm USB streaming using the pi (which i did try), was just awful. My pi had a huge linear PSU and other tweaks. As for the pixel... the closest i'd be able to get to i2s is using the displayport adaptor, which opens up a few other avenues (MHL) to explore as well, but i've not yet tried that.
Which version of the Pi did you try? In the earlier models, the USB output and the power weren't separated, consequently, it sounded rubbish. From v3 onwards they were, and I found some serious hacks to improve SQ by editing the config.txt file. The Asus Tinker Board beats the Pi though, and that's what I'm running now and I'm using a decent PowerBank to power it.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

slinger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:07 pm Which version of the Pi did you try? In the earlier models, the USB output and the power weren't separated, consequently, it sounded rubbish. From v3 onwards they were, and I found some serious hacks to improve SQ by editing the config.txt file. The Asus Tinker Board beats the Pi though, and that's what I'm running now and I'm using a decent PowerBank to power it.
I have v2 i think. Hang on, lets look, pi2 model B v1.1. The USB dacs i tried didn't use USB power. I thought it was something to do with shared network/USB power. Anyway, the pi had a psu i made many decades ago for my WMD6C, regulated, with a 0.5F output cap. Perhaps a pi3 or newer would be better (probably), but i doubt it would work that well oversampling with sox, which i couldn't get it work properly at all, let alone badly. I even tried compiling it myself, but ran out of enthusiasm to debug a multithreaded app.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:59 am
antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:47 am I would say if moving up to a Pontus, you will also have to move up from a Pi (oops now I've stirred it up) but start looking at SOtM Neo 2000, Magna HiFi Mano, Innuous Zen Mini with PS, and anything you can afford made by Auralic, although you would have to use an i-pad or i-phone to control their lightning app. The Stack Audio Link ii I said look at I know is usb only output but they have done some jiggery pokery to it that I don't understand.
How would you describe the subjective benefits of those, over the Pi? Which ones have you heard?
Everything that I've read Paul, and people I've messaged and talked to have said as much, the benefits seem to be a smoother and more detailed sound,. I was not including the likes of Sonos, but purpose built for hifi machines, and since I've been doing lots of research for myself, and wanting one that can play an external hard drive, not having to stream the music from another device. The brands I've mentioned have all all been for sale at ex dem or 2nd hand prices, dealers (even spoke to one on Whatsapp) and a couple of people I trust have been messaged about them, for me it is how will I use one the most, and who will I use to stream music. I did not mention Sonore CN, simply because I haven't looked into them, although I know they have been given good reports.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Magna Hifi Mano has a R core transformer and tentlabs shunt regulators in it :dance: :drool: , as well as i2s out of course. That would be my first choice if buying a streamer..
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

The Mano people will do a two week sale or return, my only concern re the Mano specs is the processing power of the quad core Arm V8 chip set. I simply don't have a clue whether that's plenty or boarder line but hopefully one or more of you more experienced streaming users will put me right on this question.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I could find articles and opinions saying that a given method of connection is 'the best' and a similar number of articles and opinions saying that the same method of connection is 'the worst'. I'm a firm believer that it's the quality (competence) of the implementation that counts. Some DACs seem to be better at certain inputs than others.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 am The Mano people will do a two week sale or return, my only concern re the Mano specs is the processing power of the quad core Arm V8 chip set. I simply don't have a clue whether that's plenty or boarder line but hopefully one or more of you more experienced streaming users will put me right on this question.
If you're not planning to use Roon and / or upsampling, you won't need lots of processor power.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

To start with Roon or upsampling is not part of my thinking, I will probably start with Volumio and take things slow and steady from there.