Non USB streaming

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Non USB streaming

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Apologies if this subject has already been covered and I have not managed to find it. I have almost convinced myself that I want a streaming option that does not include USB connectivity. Now before I go any further I should be clear I have only ever streamed Tidal using my inexpensive Activo CT-10.
I have everything to go to the next USB stage of streaming, new fanless PC, master clock, 2 new Mirage USB cables. But at the back of mind there is constant thought that I will get a better sound by building a streaming rig that avoids USB connectivity. I still have a lot to learn on this front, hence this post. Right now I am attracted to the idea of Raspberry Pi4 combined with a Pi2AES. IS2 connectivity is also an option as I am going to upgrade my Ares2 to a Pontus2 in late September. Any advice, thoughts are welcome, even critical ones 😉 Thanks Paul
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Non USB streaming

Unread post by savvypaul »

In my (limited) experience, there are good and bad implementations of all connection types.

My streamer has one output - USB. My CD transport has one output - coax. I've never lost any sleep over either.

I'd be tempted to look further up the chain before you splash on a more expensive DAC.

I've read user reports that the Pi can be improved quite a bit by a LPSU.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

From the information in my DAC manuals USB allows the highest sample rate, 768 KHz for each one, and it is my understanding that it is the best one to use. I am also limited to USB in the main system because of the streamer. In the second system I have a choice but use USB.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I would say if moving up to a Pontus, you will also have to move up from a Pi (oops now I've stirred it up) but start looking at SOtM Neo 2000, Magna HiFi Mano, Innuous Zen Mini with PS, and anything you can afford made by Auralic, although you would have to use an i-pad or i-phone to control their lightning app. The Stack Audio Link ii I said look at I know is usb only output but they have done some jiggery pokery to it that I don't understand.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Cheers guys, out in the wider forum and review world there does seem to be a clear view that USB connectivity is the most difficult to get right and that the AES- EBU & IS2 specifications offer far more audio potential than USB. Even both of the mentioned standards are very well established in other applications it's relatively early days for them in the domestic audio streaming world.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:47 am I would say if moving up to a Pontus, you will also have to move up from a Pi (oops now I've stirred it up) but start looking at SOtM Neo 2000, Magna HiFi Mano, Innuous Zen Mini with PS, and anything you can afford made by Auralic, although you would have to use an i-pad or i-phone to control their lightning app. The Stack Audio Link ii I said look at I know is usb only output but they have done some jiggery pokery to it that I don't understand.
The Sonore OpticalRendu should also be considered because by all accounts an optical connection is superior to ethernet. I have noticed that there are waiting lists for this streamer so it seems to be in demand. I would be wary of anything from Innuous.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

NSNO2021 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 am Cheers guys, out in the wider forum and review world there does seem to be a clear view that USB connectivity is the most difficult to get right and that the AES- EBU & IS2 specifications offer far more audio potential than USB. Even both of the mentioned standards are very well established in other applications it's relatively early days for them in the domestic audio streaming world.
Have you heard a streamer with AES / EBU / IS2? What are the subjective benefits, in musical terms?

If you haven't heard one, can you try before you buy?
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:47 am I would say if moving up to a Pontus, you will also have to move up from a Pi (oops now I've stirred it up) but start looking at SOtM Neo 2000, Magna HiFi Mano, Innuous Zen Mini with PS, and anything you can afford made by Auralic, although you would have to use an i-pad or i-phone to control their lightning app. The Stack Audio Link ii I said look at I know is usb only output but they have done some jiggery pokery to it that I don't understand.
How would you describe the subjective benefits of those, over the Pi? Which ones have you heard?
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:52 am
NSNO2021 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 am Cheers guys, out in the wider forum and review world there does seem to be a clear view that USB connectivity is the most difficult to get right and that the AES- EBU & IS2 specifications offer far more audio potential than USB. Even both of the mentioned standards are very well established in other applications it's relatively early days for them in the domestic audio streaming world.
Have you heard a streamer with AES / EBU / IS2? What are the subjective benefits, in musical terms?

If you haven't heard one, can you try before you buy?
I have heard a dedicated streamer using AES connectivity in a shop demo and it sounded a bit better than the same system using USB connectivity but it's a shop demo not my kit or my room so it's hardly proof of anything. As for IS2 that's a big fat no. Re the home demo it's early days so I have no idea how that will play out but I won't be throwing money at something without that option.

Ps I had a quick look at Mano Ultra MK2 and it looked very interesting.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

My 2c. I was using a pi with an i2s to spdif hat for a long time. Interest in playing about with sox prompted me to find something faster. I now use an old chromebook pixel (2 core i5, no moving parts, everything but network and USB inactive, maximum power saving mode) as a USB streamer. MPD with libsoxr as the oversampling engine on the pixel, MPD with crude native oversampling on the pi. The pixel is *much* better.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
NSNO2021 (Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:38 pm)