Turntable mat

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Turntable mat

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The lenco idler runs along the bottom of the platter . The rubber mat is there for a reason.

Tried most but always go back to the original mat.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I have made in excess of 10 mats for my Rega P8 and have two that I consider to be improvement over the standard Rega felt mat. There is no doubt in my mind that mats make a difference. I did have an Ancromat but I have no idea what happened to it when I moved and I didn't have it long enough on my old LP12 to form a view.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:32 pm The lenco idler runs along the bottom of the platter . The rubber mat is there for a reason.

Tried most but always go back to the original mat.
Maybe on a single platter model it would be different though the idler is 'rubber' edged in any case
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Just for the fun of it I made another last night this one comprising of 4 layers with a nod to constrained layer damping and it's a winner. I spent a few enjoyable hours testing various mats and this is definitely noticeably better across all frequencies than the standard Rega felt mat and I am quietly chuffed. Maintaining the correct VTA was critical. The 3 materials I used cost very little, definitely less than £5 and took next to no time to cut to size and shape. Onward and upwards 🌧️
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:58 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I couldn’t decide between rubber and acrylic in a minimal design turntable I was doing- trying to keep components and structures to a minimum meaning I wanted a single top layer on the sub platter, so, I bonded a thick rubber matt to an acrylic matt back to back
Gives the acrylic matt weight and gives the rubber matt rigidity
Rubber to the bearing side, acrylic to the record
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources