Updating my streamer. From ATB to Pi4

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Updating my streamer. From ATB to Pi4

Unread post by slinger »

As the title says, I've just changed my hardware configuration.

I started, as a lot of us did, with a Pi 3 Model B and after much faffing and farting around with it, managed to improve upon the basic setup by rewriting the configuration file contained within the Volumio software. Long story short, I throttled back virtually everything that could be throttled back and shut down stuff like HDMI that I wasn't using. Less is more, as we all know.

From there I went to an Asus Tinker Board (ATB), which gave me a better sound, but no flexibility as far as rewriting stuff went. No matter, it sounded good.

I've recently bought a new DAC as mentioned elsewhere and decided to go into full "experimentation," mode. All the way through I'd been using a USB connection to my DAC, so I thought I'd see (or hear) what the other options sounded like. to that end, I bought a HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro and a case to go with it, which gave me an optical and a 75Ω coaxial output to play with. The first thing I discovered was that the Digi2 Pro wasn't compatible with my ATB as I half hoped it might be. I know some of the HiFi Berry kit is.

No matter, I'd planned for this, and I'd already decided that if it didn't work I'd just get a Pi 4 Model B.

The next thing I discovered was that between the Pi 3 and the Pi 4, Raspberry, Gawd bless 'em, had decided to completely mirror the USB and RJ45 ports on the "front" of the Pi. My twenty-quid case was now a twenty-quid lump of metal.

I ordered the Pi 4 and a new case (£22.00 this time) and I got the Pi and an apology that the cases had now gone out of stock. I'm still waiting. It was either that or pay £15.00 over the odds at Amazon.

Anyway, back to the *stifles a yawn* exciting stuff.

I slapped the HiFi Berry Digi Digi2 Pro onto the Pi 4 and started testing, sans case. To cut a long story as short as I can, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I was surprised to find that I actually preferred the sound of the optical connection. Again as detailed elsewhere I bought a posh optical cable and I've just hooked it up.

Now. I. don't. want. to. go. overboard. but...

I have to take into account that although an optical cable will not need "burning in" my DAC hasn't yet got many hours on it, and so, technically at least, it's going to get even better.

I bunged my favourite Rostropovich JS Bach Cello Suites on and it sounded rather good. It's lost some of the "rawness" I usually associate with the recording and has become a tad more polite although not in a bad way. I think I'd just got used to hearing it the other way.

This new sound makes me smile.

At least, it does now that I've unleashed my secret weapon. I've rewritten the Volumio config.txt for the Pi 4 as I did for the Pi 3, with the help (all right, technically I cribbed some of his work) of our old mate Archimago. One extra I added myself was the shutting down of the USB ports as I'm not using them. Everything is throttled back and it was probably the extra 5% in quality I wanted.

For anyone with a Pi4 who wants the new config.txt, here it is.

For anyone who wants my updated Volumio config.txt for the Pi4 here it is.

Standard warning: If you don't know what it does, and/or you don't know how to change it, you're probably best off ignoring it ;)
initramfs volumio.initrd

gpu_mem=16
max_usb_current=1
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
disable_splash=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Archimago's CRAAP Pi 4B Settings...
# h #ttp://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/10/musingshow-to-raspberry-pi-4-touch.html
# October 14, 2020

# CPU speed control - normally 1500MHz, min 600
arm_freq=1200
arm_freq_min=300

# CPU voltage control - SYSTEM DEPENDENT!
over_voltage=-3
over_voltage_min=-4

# SDRAM control, normally 3200 - again, watch system dependent voltage
sdram_freq=2400
sdram_freq_min=300
over_voltage_sdram=-3

core_freq_min=200
gpu_freq_min=200

gpu_mem = 256

# Keep it cooler! Throttle at max 75C.
temp_limit=75

#Overclocking Options
force_turbo=1
avoid_pwm_pll=1

sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage_sdram_p=-5
over_voltage_sdram_i=-14
over_voltage_sdram_c=-6

disable_pvt=1

#Force max current to USB
max_usb_current=0

#HDMI Disable
hdmi_blanking=2

#New Power Saving
hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_composite=1

#### Volumio i2s setting below: do not alter ####

dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi-pro
More info here http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/10/musingshow-to-raspberry-pi-4-touch.html

If you're tempted to give it a go don't forget that if you're using a USB DAC you really don't want to disable the USB ports. :roll:

So, delete this bit...
#Force max current to USB
max_usb_current=0
And that's where I am, currently. I just need the case to tidy it all up now.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 pm) • CN211276 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:11 pm) • CycleCoach (Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:11 am)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

antonio66
Great Britain

Re: Updating my streamer. From ATB to Pi4

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well of course now you are using a completely new set up how can you tell where the improvements have come from? :lol:

What made you go with optical over SPDIF?, I can understand you wanting to get rid of usb and all the faff that causes, it is something I will be experimenting with when I eventually try my Auralic Aries. I know it's like the third degree, but what experimenting did you want to do that you were unable to with the Asus Tinkerboard? Not much on the internet regarding the Dac 1, but from what I did find it would appear you have purchased a nice bargain. Thanks for the update

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

antonio66 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:31 am Well of course now you are using a completely new set up how can you tell where the improvements have come from? :lol:

What made you go with optical over SPDIF?, I can understand you wanting to get rid of usb and all the faff that causes, it is something I will be experimenting with when I eventually try my Auralic Aries. I know it's like the third degree, but what experimenting did you want to do that you were unable to with the Asus Tinkerboard? Not much on the internet regarding the Dac 1, but from what I did find it would appear you have purchased a nice bargain. Thanks for the update
Choosing optical over S/PDIF really was as simple as playing the same tracks and swapping between an AudioQuest Forest optical cable and an AudioQuest Forest 75Ω coax cable. I preferred the sound using the optical. Job done. Very scientific that.

Although, as it turns out, I couldn't have got a "hat" for the ATB with optical and coax outputs anyway, it was really getting the DAC that sparked the experimentation. This is my second system we're talking about, and to be honest it was really meant to be some basic equipment thrown together for background listening while I was on the computer. Well, we all know how that goes. :lol:

The DAC, unless some ridiculous bargain falls into my lap at a future date, is my "end game" DAC, and now I've got my "end game" cable to go with it.

TBH I can't see me upgrading the Primare Amp and CD player either, but stranger things have happened.

What I have also done, of course, is simplified my system. By removing the USB route I've done away with an Oehlbach XXL Masterclock, a Schiit WYRD, two WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cables, and an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable.

The other advantage is that the Digi2 Pro HAT uses the I2S sound port that connects directly to the CPU without the need for all that messy and additional USB conversion to start with, and Volumio is quite happy recognising that.

I've still got an AudioQuest Diamond 75Ω coax cable between my CD player and the DAC, and an AudioQuest Diamond RCA pair from DAC to amp. Those two cables also count as "end game," as far as I'm concerned. They replaced an AudioQuest Carbon 75Ω coax cable and an Audioquest Red River RCA interconnect.

I should probably stress that although they are "Diamond" cables they are last-generation rather than the new, horrendously expensive Diamond cables that would probably have cost twice what the entire system has cost me. :o

So, that's where I am. I've still got (AudioQuest Indigo) speaker cable to swap out with the cheap basic install-quality stuff I'm using, and I want to try my Monitor Audio Silver 2 speakers in this system. They're currently in my main (NVA) system and I'm really happy with what they do. If they're a good fit for the second system I'll be on the lookout for a used set, and swap out my venerable old EPOS ES 11s.

That's all on hold for now though. I'm a trifle unsteady on my old pins and clambering up stepladders clutching heavy-ish speakers (they're wall-mounted) and cables, with or without my walking stick, is not something I fancy attempting right now.

Actually, there are quite a few changes to be made when I do that. I've got the wood to put in a new base for the system, and some bits and bobs to give it some isolation too. I've also got a load of RDC cones and bases, and some Vibrapods to mount the equipment on, so I'm going to have to completely strip the system down and rebuild it on the new base.

Depending on how that all goes, I've got an Apollo shelf that needs putting up for my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB deck. That may, or may not, get done. I've got shedloads of vinyl, but I'm not sure now that I'd get round to playing it if I'm honest with myself. The deck might end up just being an expensive ornament.

It's good to have something to look forward to though. :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Have you tried the AQ Diamond coax between the Pi and DAC?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Fretless wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:57 pm Have you tried the AQ Diamond coax between the Pi and DAC?
The Diamond works brilliantly with the CD player, and if I swapped it out I'd need to use an optical lead instead, and when I originally set everything up I chose to use the coax on the CD player because it sounded better than the optical out.

I may try swapping them around just for fun when I break the system down, but I'm happy at the moment.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

You've put together some very nice pieces at good prices being mostly patient ;). When I said usb faff in my previous post, you shine a light on that with your surplus to requirements list, and I do remember when you got your grubby hands on the Diamond at good price, no I'm not jealous :angry-fire: :lol: I was most interested in the fact you found the optical better sounding than coax from your Pi, it's just that I always though coax to be the best, even though I've never done a comparison. My Auralic Aries (which I've haven't seen, never mind heard) has coax, opt, AES and usb outputs, I was only going to compare usb vs coax but it might be worth me trying optical, AES could well be the best but my dac does not have that input. Let's hope your new purchase will stop the urge to keep buying, although my money is on you posting 'look what I've picked up at a fab price' in the next 6 months.

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

I'm considering this very set up to replace a failing squeezebox touch into an old (1st edition) Chord DAC 64, which I still like the sound of. Out of interest what do you use to power the Pi? I'm driving my other Pi's with a mix of various chifi supplies as suggested here and elsewhere.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Grumpytim wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:45 am I'm considering this very set up to replace a failing squeezebox touch into an old (1st edition) Chord DAC 64, which I still like the sound of. Out of interest what do you use to power the Pi? I'm driving my other Pi's with a mix of various chifi supplies as suggested here and elsewhere.
Currently, I'm powering it from a USB socket on one of these.

But once everything's settled in I shall try a Power Bank, which is how I had the ATB running, and a Chi-fi LPSU, of which I have several knocking around, to see if there's any improvement to be had. Of course, now I'm running an optical cable to the DAC, instead of USB that's one possible source of RFI kicked to the kerb immediately

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

This is what my (vastly simplified) system should end up looking like...

You may need to right-click the image and "open image in new tab," or whatever your particular browser requires, to actually read some of the legends.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:35 pm) • Fretless (Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Makes my set up look simple. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc