Turn up the treble

All general audio posts go here.
Docfoster
Wales

Re: Turn up the treble

Unread post by Docfoster »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:17 am I like my porridge just right. I like clarity and separation but not distortion.
I tend to agree with this.
When I'm tweaking my own speaker builds, getting the tweeter attenuation absolutely goldilocks is a vital and lengthy (weeks or months) process.
I think I've got it right and then I listen to some recording that tells me that actually it needs trimming back another half of a dB.
As well as too much treble having a wearing effect on my listening, the soundstage is brought forward to the plain of the speakers and its depth compressed, and tonally engaging nuances in the midrange (voices especially) are overwhelmed.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm) • karatestu (Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:41 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Ive spent months getting the top end to sound right on the arm ive designed. I spent months and months getting the top end to do what i wanted because if its wrong, it affects everything else.

With the speakers, i spent months getting the bottom end to do what i wanted, adding bracing to the cabs, little changes to the damping material, damping on the cab wall behind the driver, and eventually going to an aperiodic slot on the top of the speakers rather than a conventional place near the base or on the back.
Then, incremental tweaks to the amount of material in the vent itsself.

Balance the ends and the middle will look after itsself

Treble doesnt need to be loud and everbearing to be extended, detailed and delicate, artificially raising it does not make up for a lack of defenition or it being 'dull'.

Ime if its dull there is a problem somewhere to look at rather than just turning it up
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Most modern Dali speakers are like that = spicy top end.

Used to have Dali Oberon 1. The top was a tad hot at times. Overall a good fun open sounding speaker. They reminded me of Royd's to some extent.

Had to downsize, so sold on the Oberon 1. Now replaced with Spektor 1. Sound quite similar.

S.
Shane Lonergan.