Equipment support

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Equipment support

Unread post by karatestu »

Grumpytim wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:35 pm That looks exactly like the chest of drawers I had as a kid in Scarborough. It was well put together and is still going strong at my brothers house. Ours was an awful shade of pea green which may have looked good in the 50/60's but it looked a lot better after it was painted grey.
This one has a story to tell without a doubt. It had four layers of paint on it (nearly all removed now). God knows how old it is. At least 70 years probably more. My Dad was no good at this sort of thing so it was Grandad or before. I looked all over on the internet to find something suitable to convert in places like Oak furniture land blah blah. I couldn't find anything in the size I wanted. Little did I know the perfect thing was sat right under my nose :roll:

Most things aren't as deep as this (50cm). I won't be using the drawers in this (I have another cunning plan for them ;) ), just some wooden shelves with the circuit boards etc attached to. There will be a removable front panel going on it for access, not sure how I will do that yet. There will be no cases for the electronics as such - the furniture is the case :dance: .Apart from the source components which will be on the top and in their original cases but psu's off boarded.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

At least now I am sticking with two way speakers I will have two fewer psu's to fit in. Or I might put them in and the amp boards just in case :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Get that rack put up for sale, if you want to use a couple of shelves, sell it as a 5 tier rack, perfect
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:27 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:06 pm Get that rack put up for sale, if you want to use a couple of shelves, sell it as a 5 tier rack, perfect
That's a good idea but I can never be arsed to to sell stuff, too much hassle. I've still got all my old Naim gear and LP12 that I modded the arse off. Nobody would want it now. I might do a YouTube video of smashing Nwim electronics with a lump hammer. I checked Google and nobody has yet done a video of destroying a LP12 .

Might be an opportunity there to get a few more followers? Yes this is me about three years ago

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
antonio66 (Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:45 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Turns out my old large chest of drawers will fit in it's intended position with 1cm to spare. Phew that was close.

Now I have removed all the paint it is clear that it is made of pine with a few small knots here and there. It has a bit of rustic character which I like, wife likes it too.

I think it will effect the sound more than the Quadraspire rack due to it having larger panels. It us light for what it is but not as light as the rack. Shoot me now, I can't believe I am talking about the sound of a piece of furniture :obscene-tolietclaw: :sad-roulette: :obscene-moneypiss:
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

"That's a good idea but I can never be arsed to to sell stuff, too much hassle"

Stick an advert on pfm, for sale or swop for decent pair of speakers :lol:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:17 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:52 pm "That's a good idea but I can never be arsed to to sell stuff, too much hassle"

Stick an advert on pfm, for sale or swop for decent pair of speakers :lol:
:crying-yellow: :crying-yellow: Dave , now I'm going to have to send Slinger round to give you a good biffing :grin:
antonio66 (Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:45 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

All the wood us exposed now apart from the feet. A few knots but I don't mind that. Got to expect it with pine, all my interior doors are pine and the knots and grain shapes are the most interesting part. You can find faces in them - might scars the shit out of you if you'd had too much LSD.

Latteman (Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:01 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I also found these little Ikea shelves. They are same as the Lack type shelves, super light.

They are exactly the right size to fit a TT or CDP on. Being 50cm wide I can get two side by side on top of the pine furniture. Unfortunately two of the Quadraspire shelves are too wide to fit. I could put three legs on these lack type shelves.
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

You might like to consider wooden cone isolation feet. The best price I've seen is:
https://www.acornwoodturning.co.uk/wood ... tion-feet/

The ones I have a beautifully finished.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:29 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:18 pm)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).