Equipment support

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Equipment support

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Whats even worse is the amount of other equipment thats in cupboards and on tops of wardrobes....
I havent even got space in the living room for the reel to reel which is the most interesting thing to look at.
Then there are the cartridges, boxes of bits, valves, there is a breadboarded sv811-3 valve amp on top of the wardrobe in our room (sounds gorgeous but is highly dangerous :mrgreen: ) the nva a20 and p20, several passive pres, a tape deck, a marantz reciever, several sets of electret headphones, and christ knows what else.

Its utterly rediculous. I need a room with a load of dexion racking in it.... just like the back room of tandys
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

That's why I have a farm :lol: There's no room to store crops because of all the shite :roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

A few comments:
My Quad Pre-Amp, Tuner and CD Player would fit in the hole in the middle.
I have a 10.5" Reel to Reel tape deck, you can't hide one of those! No point in not having it on show.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:42 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well done in assembling your Quadraspire rack, still looks in nice condition and maybe one of the better looking racks. Not so sure about having seven shelves stacked, I'd rather see it split 3 and four although it would mean another base was needed. I wasn't looking for anything but came upon this if anyone is looking for a rack or something, I'm sure he would make it to your specification https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363443992611 ... 006%26algo% and also there are quite a few here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vidaxl-uk/m. ... 7523890f07
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:42 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:40 pm A few comments:
My Quad Pre-Amp, Tuner and CD Player would fit in the hole in the middle.
I have a 10.5" Reel to Reel tape deck, you can't hide one of those! No point in not having it on show.
Hello Geoff.

I was OK with my Linn & Naim stuff apart from a little Stageline phono stage which luckily was so small it could fit on the perimeter. I agree, you can't cover up a reel to reel and shouldn't try.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:56 pm Well done in assembling your Quadraspire rack, still looks in nice condition and maybe one of the better looking racks. Not so sure about having seven shelves stacked, I'd rather see it split 3 and four although it would mean another base was needed. I wasn't looking for anything but came upon this if anyone is looking for a rack or something, I'm sure he would make it to your specification https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363443992611 ... 006%26algo% and also there are quite a few here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vidaxl-uk/m. ... 7523890f07
I did try to look after it but there us on or two very light scratches. As to it being one of the better looking ones - I think that is a personal thing and I must have liked it to buy it. Quadraspire still make the ordinary Q4 racks (not the reference model like mine though) but have solid shelves with no holes in the middle and are rectangular without the curves. The dimensions and spacer legs are exactly the same though.

I agree about the height being too much. It's a shame I didn't think about that when I bought it. Having two side by side maybe five tiers high would have been better. :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Quadraspire racks are OK - relatively light and rigid - but they suffer, like most racks of that era, from being too tightly spaced.

I like to have plenty of room between equipment and plenty of space for easy access when setting up, especially at the rear of the equipment.

One of the best 'rack' set ups I saw was simply a series of different height wooden tables and platforms.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:07 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:31 am Quadraspire racks are OK - relatively light and rigid - but they suffer, like most racks of that era, from being too tightly spaced.

I like to have plenty of room between equipment and plenty of space for easy access when setting up, especially at the rear of the equipment.

One of the best 'rack' set ups I saw was simply a series of different height wooden tables and platforms.
Yeah, it's light as a feather. My legs between tiers are 140mm. Bigger ones are available up to 326mm so there is scope to have over 12" between each tier. To do that I would need to buy some more legs which are still available (at a cost :shock: ) or make my own. That would enable me to make two racks out of what I have to go side by side.

But I have another plan for the long term........
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:12 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

......or maybe not so long term :grin:

I have found in the tool shed, the perfect candidate to adapt into my hifi in a sideboard idea. It has seen little use apart from storing some tools. I won't miss it in the workshop. It looks to be homemade by one of my ancestors so has a bit of sentimental value attached.

Here she is....

I have sanded away the paint in certain areas since I took these pics, just to see what the wood looks like and the joints. It's a winner :dance: 103cm width x 50 cm depth x 85cm height. Just about bloody perfect although there is a bit of space wasted by the height of the feet and base which I might do something about.

There will be some work to do on it of course. I will probably extend the height a touch with a couple of the Quadraspire shelves side by side on their legs. We will see.
DIY FREE ZONE

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

That looks exactly like the chest of drawers I had as a kid in Scarborough. It was well put together and is still going strong at my brothers house. Ours was an awful shade of pea green which may have looked good in the 50/60's but it looked a lot better after it was painted grey.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
karatestu (Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:48 pm)