Linear tracking turntable

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Linear tracking turntable

Unread post by Latteman »

Been browsing eBay again and found some interesting turntables- made in Japan linear tracking turntables- a big step up in the bulk dept compared to the Awia midi unit I had in the late 80’s.
They vary from DD to belt and technics seem to be the most expensive, used price.
Anyone own or owned such turntables- are they in the same ‘hifi’ league as traditional turntables- to me it look like the tonearm wand is the weak point
Thanks 🙏
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Linear tracking turntable

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Ive owned 3, a pioneer pl l 800, a pioneer pl l1000 and the current air bearing arm which is on my jbe

The 800 and 1000 were (are) in my opinion brilliant. No tracking distortion, quartz locked speed, fully auto operation so anyone can use them. The 1000 was a bit better than the 800. Another 2 i wish id never sold

There are others, the technics sl10 and sl7 spring to mind but are now hamstrung by the t4p carts. There are very few decent carts for them these days, and the good old ones are all knackered by now.

Revox linear trackers are supposed to be good but thats an internet opinion. Ive never heard one.

Mitsubishi lt20 and its variants are supposed to be really good too.

Get one with a normal headshell and you can put what you want on it.
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
Latteman (Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:35 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7