The Return of the Wam Show

All general audio posts go here.
Bencat57
Great Britain

The Return of the Wam Show

Unread post by Bencat57 »

I posted something similar to this about eighteen months ago and believed it would happen . Sadly due the poor conduct and general idiocy of the previous owner of The Wam it was just a pipe dream . Since then that individual has moved on and has no influence or contact with The Wam and things there are going in a different direction .

The best thing about this has been the confirmation that this year there will be a Wam show it will be 1/2 October and based in new venue in Stoke very close the main railway station . Large deposits have been paid and there is a set plan for the 40 rooms that are available for use . Firstly all those who paid for the 2019 show and left their payment with The Wam will be given first refusal on a room . After this those that booked but either asked for a refund or had not paid will be then given a chance . After this if there are any rooms left then it will be announced and first come first served.

The format has returned to the old one of set up on the Saturday and full open day for the show on the Sunday . Ticket sales will be announced and there will be a reduction for advance booking . Due to the current restrictions (which may well change) there will be a limit to the numbers allowed to attend .

I will hopefully have a room and will be using my three way active system with NVA amplification so if anyone decides to go please drop in have a listen and a chat and let me know honestly what you think of the system .

Shows have been very few over the last few years and this show is different no one has anything to sell you and the variety is huge . I think we need to support it and keep it for future years but this will only happen if we can get good support both for the rooms being filled and visitors on the Sunday .

Apologies if this upsets anyone I do know that there are historic issues mainly caused by the previous owner I think things have changed and would love to see anyone off here on the day.
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post (total 2):
slinger (Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:11 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:32 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: The Return of the Wam Show

Unread post by savvypaul »

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:11 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Bencat57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:56 pm Apologies if this upsets anyone I do know that there are historic issues mainly caused by the previous owner I think things have changed and would love to see anyone off here on the day.
HFS has always been supportive of the show, since the very beginning. The previous WAM owner was on his way to destroying both the show and the WAM forum. Things are, indeed, now looking up a fair bit.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Bencat57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:56 pm ...Shows have been very few over the last few years and this show is different no one has anything to sell you and the variety is huge . I think we need to support it and keep it for future years but this will only happen if we can get good support both for the rooms being filled and visitors on the Sunday .

Apologies if this upsets anyone I do know that there are historic issues mainly caused by the previous owner I think things have changed and would love to see anyone off here on the day.
When it comes to being supportive, I think that my support is more towards the ethos of the early Scalford shows. It's the principles of those early shows that I support.

In that I think that exhibiting should cost the exhibiters nothing to £10, with the cost of an overnight stay at the hotel being optional. Bearing in mind that exhibitors have to bear the cost of transporting their equipment - with the risk of damage or theft - which are costs that should not be sniffed at given the value of many of the systems.

I also think there should be a similar number of large rooms to what there was at Scalford. IE about 12 of them.

Plus parking for exhibitors and visitors should be free.

Visitor numbers. Does anyone know how many visitors came to the show when it was Scalford? And how does this compare to the fire limits for the venue at Stoke?

I can understand why the show has changed in nature. And can appreciate the changes from the point of view of the organisers.

However these changes have not been in the interests of the exhibitors. As someone that exhibited 3 times at Scalford I now find myself in a position where I have no desire to exhibit. But would have the desire re-ignited if I could do so for £10 plus transportation costs.

For attending as a visitor - at the moment - I'd prefer to turn up on the day and pay on the door, if the price of that is within a pound or so of the pre-booked tickets. If that option isn't available, I'd have to think carefully as to whether I will attend or not. With the deciding factor being visitor ticket prices.

Support - when it works best - is a two way thing. When one starts taking others for granted, one can expect support to evaporate.

I would fully support the Wam show if it returned to an early years at Scalford format. Fully support it as in offering to exhibit.
With the current format I have no wish to support the show to that extent.
Which is fine. I have no right to determine the format of the show. And the organisers of the show owe me nothing. It's their show, they can organise it how they want. Just as I can organise my first week-end in October however I want.

I don't know what historic issues you are referring to?
Are you referring to Richard Dunn falling out with James Palmer? If so, that was never an issue as far as I was concerned. I saw it more as the equivalent of me having 2 friends that didn't get along with each other. Something that was between the 2 friends. Something that never stopped me from spending time with each of them separately.

What counts more for me is how each friend treats me. Whether they respect me or not, with the respect being shown by their actions. That is more important than whether the 2 friends can stand each other or not.

As for shows being very few over the last few years, it's only 2020 and 2021 when they didn't happen. But those years didn't happen. As per current Downing Street policy. They've been brushed under the carpet as if they were all a Dallas type dream. Was it 2018 when we had a bit of snow? I attended that year as a Visitor and enjoyed my day out. Prior to the snowy year, the Wam show had had a good run of luck weather wise.

savvypaul
Great Britain

The 2020 show was cancelled just a few days beforehand, which is likely to have put a large dent in funds.

From what I've read, James Palmer did well to break even and possibly lost money on more than one occasion. Fair play to him for his generosity and community spirit. There aren't many people around who are both willing and able to take the financial risks involved.

I plan to visit on the Sunday, at least, assuming the trains are running normally.
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have never been to a hifi show although Bristol is not far away. Stoke is not a million miles so I will look at the cost. A shame my bus pass cannot be used for rail travel discounts outside Wales.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

What y'all need is to get some Richard Dunn T-shirts printed to wear when you go :lol:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:33 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Bencat57
Great Britain

My only comments on the above is that the cost of running this show is large and profits in the past have never been that much . Sadly a full return to the Scalfold ethos would need an owner that has very deep pockets and is prepared to accept a loss on the show . The number of people who would do this is not that large so unlikely . If you have read the Wam thread then you will know that a large loss was taken by The Wam for the late cancellation of the 2019 show none of the Exhibitors have been asked to pay anything towards this the current Owners taking the hit .

However as a result of this this show has to pay for itself and I think they have been very transparent in how they have charged for rooms and food they are doing all of this at cost at the reduced rate the hotel have offered . For me this is fair yes I will have to pay to travel and for meals while I am there but the enjoyment I will get is far outweighed by the cost . I intend to arrive Friday afternoon and stay through to Monday the cost for all of this is less than I would have paid to arrive Saturday and leave Monday at the 2020 show which shows the current set up is less concerned with making a profit than the last CEO was who has now been distanced from any connection with the site or the show . If we can get this show to be a success then we will have more starting next March 2023 and on going if it fails then there will be no more.

Fire regulations will restrict the number of tickets that can be sold and I suspect (but can not be sure) that if the ticket sales on line go well there will be very few tickets able to be bought on the day but I am sure there will be notification of this well before the actual date . Any one can take the chance to just roll up but you may well find that you are unable to enter .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I suppose it's the nature of these things. Great institutions tend to go through youth, maturity and old age.

Compare and contrast Scalford 2010 to Kegworth 2019 and, in due course, Stoke 2022.
In terms of the exhibitor experience, the visitor experience.

Bencat57
Great Britain

Just as an update there is now a thread for those wanting to exhibit to at least put there names down . As per my update those already previously paid are getting preference and then those who paid but obtained a refund. After this it is first cone first served so if you want to have a room best to get your name on the list now.

It now seems that this show will really happen and I have my use of a room confirmed so I will be there . Will post when I know my room number

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/an ... rs.108063/