Backing out of DIY

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Backing out of DIY

Unread post by karatestu »

I'm pleased for you Steve. It's a turn of luck that you like them, it so easily could have gone the other way. I had a look at them on t'internet and they are highly regarded speakers. You've gone from 12" to 5" with a port. But who gives a toss as long as you enjoy them and you clearly are. I quite like my little B&W CM1 and they are 5" with a port. Lindsay described them as good for a bedroom system as they could send you to sleep :lol: I can see where he's coming from but hey, I like to relax when listening to music :lol: I have blocked the ports though as they are in the corners of my kitchen diner about a foot from the ceiling.

A bit of a result with xover or lack of. Are you going to check the cap's capacitance and esr ? Could gave drifted and changed the filter -3dB frequency. Saying that, if you have a grin factor of 10 then no point obsessing (from me the master of obsession).

Looks like you are set up now to just sit back and enjoy the tunes. I'm jealous. You need to buy the boy a pint or three.
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

karatestu wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:53 pm
….Looks like you are set up now to just sit back and enjoy the tunes. I'm jealous. You need to buy the boy a pint or three.
Yes, I certainly need to buy him a pint or three, as you say. :guiness;
Whether it’s the speakers themselves, or I’m finally hearing how good NVA actually is I don’t know. I suspect it’s a bit of both.

I won’t be messing with the tweeter caps. I prefer to just enjoy the music for now. I will however be making a pair of tall pillar stands for the speakers. I plan to make these out of 4in black plastic soil pipe, with decorative wooden bases weighted with two storage heater bricks, bolted to their undersides. They’ll be 900mm tall.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
karatestu (Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:12 am)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:22 pm
karatestu wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:53 pm
….Looks like you are set up now to just sit back and enjoy the tunes. I'm jealous. You need to buy the boy a pint or three.
Yes, I certainly need to buy him a pint or three, as you say. :guiness;
Whether it’s the speakers themselves, or I’m finally hearing how good NVA actually is I don’t know. I suspect it’s a bit of both.

I won’t be messing with the tweeter caps. I prefer to just enjoy the music for now. I will however be making a pair of tall pillar stands for the speakers. I plan to make these out of 4in black plastic soil pipe, with decorative wooden bases weighted with two storage heater bricks, bolted to their undersides. They’ll be 900mm tall.
Oh yeah, 110mm black pvc pipes come in really useful :grin: It won't ring like a metal pipe would and it's nice and cheap. Perfect
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

PVC pipes you say? Donkeys' years ago, when they still only had the one shop, on London Bridge Walk, I bought a pair of Richer Sounds' own-brand speakers. The foam "grilles" were Velcro'd on at the corners, and the (front) "ports" were holes in the baffles with a short bit of bronze-coloured PVC pipe stuck in them. Classy, eh? :lol:

There was just about room to swing a cat in the shop, but not if you also wanted to be inside WITH the cat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:07 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Enjoyable thread. Mission has made great speakers.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

9627C00A-CBA4-43B9-967B-54FED7D905BB.jpeg
9627C00A-CBA4-43B9-967B-54FED7D905BB.jpeg (382.34 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Stands for the Missions are done apart from choosing the finish for the bases.
Now I have a yard to clear and a mess of tools to put away and I’m knackered.
Paint the poles black and white and I have a set of traffic lights :lol:
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post (total 2):
southall-1998 (Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:44 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:13 am)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

It didn’t take long for me to conclude that the tops of the stands look like crap.
The solution was a couple of large toroidal transformer washers:
072606CB-886A-4ED5-981B-A0F079B53554.jpeg
072606CB-886A-4ED5-981B-A0F079B53554.jpeg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
The stands now look a whole lot better:
A3AD3A97-3996-4EAD-9781-F65FE7BC7E97.jpeg
A3AD3A97-3996-4EAD-9781-F65FE7BC7E97.jpeg (310.64 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
The construction is dead simple. The bases are a four layer glue-lam made of 12mm ply. The stands are held together by an M8 threaded tie rod passing up the pipe and it holds everything in compression. Years ago I had a pair of B&W stands under my KEF Coda IIIs that used the same principle.

As you can imagine, these much taller versions are far from rigid. Their main resonant frequency at around 3Hz - way below the audio band. However despite the lack of rigidity, the sound is superb. It was very good with the wooden top platforms, but with the washer platforms, the sound is outstanding for a pair of budget speakers.

Also because I designed the Fane full range speakers for my own room, they could just be thrown in and would sound good. With the Missions, I have had to re learn how to position speakers in a room. They ended up 10.25in out from the back wall, toed in a couple of degrees and spaced 66in apart.

I couldn’t be happier with the result. Have I backed out of DIY? Not quite I suppose or I would simply have bought some stands, but these cost around thirty quid for materials so not a bad outcome in the end. But in the case of amp building, that’s it I’m afraid.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I hope the speakers are secured to the stand in some way
It wouldnt do to knock them off and smash the telly....
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Vinyl-ant wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:17 pm I hope the speakers are secured to the stand in some way....
‘Course they are.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Like all speakers, the Missions are front heavy. They are wider than they are front to back, so even more front heavy than a more modern speaker. Due to the stand’s top platform now being circular, there isn’t a lot of resistance to the tendency for the front to try to tilt downwards, ie only a single point at the underside of the front.
I had visions of the blu tack gradually giving way at the back and the speaker crashing forwards off the stand in the middle of the night and killing the cat.
Anyway, I’ve solved that with a couple of 3mm aluminium strips epoxied to the big washer: that should stop any toppling tendencies.
D2FA7CD3-6F48-4C9C-85EE-46FEB517BA96.jpeg
D2FA7CD3-6F48-4C9C-85EE-46FEB517BA96.jpeg (261.75 KiB) Viewed 1351 times