Japanese Direct Drive Appreciation

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Japanese Direct Drive Appreciation

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Oh and it is the original plinth, these were only available in gloss rosewood in the uk, but this is from germany. The german market got the satin black ones. I thought from the photos when i bought it that it had had a pai tjob but it is actually completely original down to the jvc z1 eb cart. Ill get a new stylus for that too
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:01 pm) • Latteman (Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:28 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Ant, its good to see you and your skills back in action. I suspect you could revive any deck in almost any condition :clap:
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

I wouldnt go that far, if the programmed ic had failed on this one that would have been that. And it would have only been good for parting out
But most things are fixable if some time and effort is put in.

Abit more done on it today, I ordered an elliptical stylus for the z1 eb cart it came with from musonic, and spent a couple of hours polishing the platter up.
The one on the my ql-y5f was badly corroded and had to be painted because it wouldnt polish out, but this one was just about salvegable.
Had to give it a really good go over with wet and dry , then wire wool then 400 grit, then polish.
It still has a few marks in it but its perfectly acceptable for a 42 year old turntable. With more elbow grease i could get it shinier but i cant be arsed. There are many more jobs to do on it for it to be that important
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:37 am) • CycleCoach (Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:14 am)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Got the last of the functional bits done on it today, got some feet made and got a new stylus on the cart.
I priced up some aluminium, some acetal and some brass to see about making the feet, and came to the conclusion that I could just buy some feet for the cost of materials.

However, as I am such a cheapskate git, while out shopping I saw a cheap nylon plastic chopping board for £2.50, and thought "that'll do'

ImageJvc ql-y3f restoration feet by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

First had to turn an arbor to hold the blank cut from the board, it's secured via an m5 bolt in the front of the arbor, then turned it down to diameter

It is then glued to the top of the big rubber foot

A lick of paint and a 6mm stud through the centre hole, and we have a functional foot (or 4)
I am debating wether to swap the new feet over onto the y5 and put its original feet on this as this one is much more original than the y5 is

The new elliptical stylus arrived from Musonic so I've also fitted that, I'm quite surprised how nice the z1 eb cart sounds. Smooth and detailed, is seems pretty neutral. The shibata upgrade will be done at some point if I keep it

ImageJvc ql-y3f restoration z1eb + new stylus by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

So, mechanically and electrically the deck is now spot on. It's just abit cosmetically challenged.

Onwards!
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 5):
thebhoyricky (Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:57 pm) • Latteman (Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:30 pm) • antonio66 (Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:33 am) • CycleCoach (Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:00 am) • Fretless (Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:10 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I'm following this with added interest as I am also a bit cosmetically challenged 🤭
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Any plans to try other cartridges on it?
How highly would you rate the arm on it?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Ill put some other carts on it, ive got plenty knocking around. Probably my dv20. The arm on it is pretty good, similar to things like the r200. All the auto bits are non contact bits, optoelectric sensors, so its not connected to a set of nylon gears like other auto decks so its not hamstrung by the friction of all the gubbins usually associated with auto. Only 2 extra bits are a pretty big ring magnet on the end of the pillar and a plastic cam that blocks the optoelectric sensors to tell the ic where it is
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:09 am)

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

You must have turntables everywhere at the moment 👍🏼
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Yes.
There is the y3 and y5 plus a lenco and the jbe set up in the living room, an oracle delphi in its box in the dining room, 3 lencos, the roksan and the garrard on top of wardrobes in the front bedroom. Other stuff is in cupboards but i cant see them so i dont care

The dining room is a disaster area, the lathe and millig machine are set up in there on a big bench, (no way they were going in the shed they cost too much for the theiving scum around here to know they exist) there are tools and materials all over the place in there. At least the living room looks fairly neat and tidy even though it does look like a dealers dem room
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 3):
Lindsayt (Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:06 pm) • Latteman (Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:37 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:35 pm)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Sounds like me and guitars.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:56 am) • Lindsayt (Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:41 am)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).