Cambridge Alva Duo phono stage

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Cambridge Alva Duo phono stage

Unread post by Fretless »

So, I wandered in to my local Hifi shop for a coffee and a chat, like you do, and quickly steered the conversation around to phono stages.

After explaining my thoughts about the possibility of getting a Cambridge Alva Solo for use along with my Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable, Arnold, the proprietor, walked over to a shelf and handed me a smallish metal casing. "Try that for a week and see what you think.".

The device in question is the Cambridge Alva Duo, big brother to the Solo, which features separate MC sockets, along with MM, and a built-in headphone amp.

Once home, the Duo was quickly inserted into the system, another cup of coffee was made and it's time for an initial listen.

The Duo is in the middle on the photo, between a Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC and NVA P50sa preamp. Very noticeable on handling the Alva Duo is its relatively light weight, no transformer in there but a high-quality switching power supply (don't plug this into a BMU!).

The unit is cold and not run-in and the first impression is mainly caused by a very different presentation to the ART phono. The Duo is warmer-sounding and less up-front.

First we'll let the Duo phono settle in a bit. Reserve a critical listen for later. After all - I've got a week to play with this!

:dance:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:25 pm) • antonio66 (Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:08 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Cambridge Alva Duo phono stage

Unread post by Latteman »

:epopc:
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Fretless
Netherlands

Just back in from choir rehearsal - we are doing Vivaldi's 'Gloria' and a bunch of other stuff in a month, with orchestra!

Hi-fi reviewer mode will be recommenced forthwith.

:ugeek:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

What doesn't help is an environmentally-caring power-off function that sets the unit on Standby after 20 minutes of unuse. Fortunately that can be disabled and I have left the Duo on all night to let it warm thoroughly through.

Thus, this morning, with a fresh cup of coffee and rested ears, it is back to the system with new interest.

And there are changes ... big changes. Yesterday there was over-politeness and restraint that had me thinking I was actually listening to a CD (what is the point of a phono stage that makes your TT sound like a CDP?). Now the system has a clear, driving, open authority which is just what I was looking for as that is what the ART phono was lacking (still an excellent little phono stage, though).

The sound is crisp in a rounded sort of way. Bass full but not bloated. Big-wide soundstage with superb imaging. Vocals nice. Black background with virtually no surface noise from even battered old LPs.

Also tried the built in headphone amp which is very pleasant and refined sounding. Did a direct comparison with the DacMagic Plus on its headphone output and was struck by how dry and artificial digital is.

The Alva Duo phono stage is getting a far richer, living and organic sound from my NVA Cube system than the digital setup has ever managed. Has me pondering about a new, major re-shuffle of components.

Life goes on ...
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Latteman (Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:06 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

Took the demo-unit Duo back into the shop this morning - in order to pick up a new example that had been ordered for me! Handing over a bundle of Euro-notes with thanks for the service (Arnold gives a small discount to his regulars), I have got back and installed the freshly-built Duo into the system.

Knowing that it will not sound its' best without some warm-up I have switched it on and immediately disabled the Auto-power-off function. So we'll be ready to go later on.

I have been using this phono stage a lot in the last week, certainly since I got the Grado Signature Jr. cartridge mounted in the Pro-Ject 1.2. The Cambridge phono revealed the massive differences in performance between that and the stock Grado Prestige Black body with the combination of deck, arm, cartridge and phono raising this rig from a pleasant reserve setup into a full-blown audiophile experience.

One LP I played was Edgar Froese 'Aqua' which contains a lot of great synth effects, this had the Cubes getting a sonic bounce off the ceiling - producing a dramatic vertical soundfield that I haven't earlier got out of this system. Bizarre 3D imaging that got my attention well and truly fixed.

The headphone amp is pleasant and does the job, but the output through the amplifier really shines and just keeps me wanting to listen.

Seriously happy with this phono stage and an absolute recommendation to those looking for a rich and elegant-sounding unit that comes across as far more expensive than it actually is.

:dance: :music-listening:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Wed May 11, 2022 1:26 pm) • antonio66 (Wed May 11, 2022 6:25 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl