A Preview of the NEW CUBES and more

All general audio posts go here.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

A Preview of the NEW CUBES and more

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I had some very welcome visitors yesterday.
Paul and Tomasz had made the trek south and dropped in for a cuppa.
After we’d gotten their gilded carriage off the avenue and fed and watered their team of thoroughbred horses, we had a chance to do a bit of listening.

They’d brought with them some new Cubes, (as well as some other bits and bobs, of which more later.)
I already own a pair of the original Cube 1s and I love ‘em to bits, so I was giddy with excitement to hear the new version in my system. (I had already heard them in Paul’s system up north.)
As with the original, it’s got the simplest of crossovers (a capacitor and a padding resistor in line with the tweeter: and that’s all folks.) But where it differs is that rather than using a doped bass driver, they’ve opted for a custom jobbie that works perfectly straight out of the box. This new driver is lighter and more efficient than it’s older sibling, and the sonic difference is quite striking. The new speakers are undoubtably cubes. That is to say that they’re musical and give that “omni” stereo effect which gives a soundstage that hovers between and above the speakers. You won’t get ultra-pinpoint positioning, but you will get a convincing “presence,” as these speakers drive the room rather than fighting against it. Bloody lovely. These are faster and more resolving than the old ones. More “Hi-Fi” but in a good way. If you're a lover of the original Cube's presentation then you will appreciate these as being the same but more so.
But wait: Tomasz crossed his legs, put a hand on his chin and listened a bit harder.

“I can hear your stands.” He said.
“What? Is that even possible?” I was shocked.

My stands are a pretty bomb-proof pair of Atacamas with a single sturdy triangular pillar filled with sand. I believed they were inert. Solid. Silent.

Tweak no.1 was to place a set of Iso Acoustics pucks under the speakers. Yes, that was cleaner, a little bit of wooliness had disappeared from the lower registers. Wow. Yes, I could hear it. Then Paul got his footman to fetch a pair of Hi-Fi Racks Ltd wooden stands to replace the Atacamas altogether. Another difference. I can definitely hear an improvement. I play a couple of familiar tracks again. More of the same clearing away of muddiness. Bloody hell.

And then all too soon my guests were leaving and I had to put my system back as it was. And now I can hear the stands again and I didn’t even believe that it was possible to do that.
Bugger.
It’s going to cost me I’m afraid!

I've already ordered a set of Pucks, but I might look in to making my own stands....
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 7):
slinger (Fri May 06, 2022 5:34 pm) • CN211276 (Fri May 06, 2022 7:15 pm) • Latteman (Fri May 06, 2022 7:34 pm) • Fretless (Fri May 06, 2022 10:22 pm) • Ithilstone (Fri May 06, 2022 10:38 pm) • antonio66 (Sat May 07, 2022 5:45 am) • savvypaul (Sat May 07, 2022 9:50 am)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: A Preview of the NEW CUBES and more

Unread post by Shevans »

Richard recommend these stand (RC60) to me for the Cubes before they had a whatnot review..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/customspeake ... media=COPY
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sat May 07, 2022 10:57 am) • CN211276 (Sat May 07, 2022 11:46 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Shevans wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:56 am Richard recommend these stand (RC60) to me for the Cubes before they had a whatnot review..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/customspeake ... media=COPY
They look pretty solid, and they're a lot cheaper than the ones I tried. Did you get a set of those, and if so, what did you think?
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I never did buy them but saw them in the flesh with Cubes on top. Only reason for not buying them was at the time we had a Victorian fireplace with alcoves at the side and Richard’s said the placement of the Cubes in the alcoves would not be good.
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat May 07, 2022 2:10 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I bought the Hi-Fi Racks stands for a couple of hundred a year or so ago. They are now £365 on the Hi-Fi racks site. :shock:

Looks like this dealer still has a couple of pairs at the old price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294542376323 ... SwmhdhjlWQ

I prefer open-frame to solid pillar.

YMMV
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sat May 07, 2022 4:52 pm) • CN211276 (Tue May 10, 2022 5:58 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

savvypaul wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:19 pm I bought the Hi-Fi Racks stands for a couple of hundred a year or so ago. They are now £365 on the Hi-Fi racks site. :shock:

Looks like this dealer still has a couple of pairs at the old price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294542376323 ... SwmhdhjlWQ

I prefer open-frame to solid pillar.

YMMV
For some reason they only have one pair left in stock now............................. :whistle:
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
antonio66 (Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 pm)

Betty Boo
Great Britain

Unread post by Betty Boo »

Hi Paul, are you sending the cubes out yet for home audition? And do you have a price point in mind (I'm really eager too try....obvs) ?
Cyrus CD, Rega Planar, NVA phono stage, NVA AP50, BMU & DC blocker, Cambridge streamer, SSP interconnects, LS6 cables. Beyerdynamic Amiron, NVA AP10H, Dynaudio

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Betty Boo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:20 pm Hi Paul, are you sending the cubes out yet for home audition? And do you have a price point in mind (I'm really eager too try....obvs) ?
We have one set of prototypes in acrylic, and one set in birch ply. You could hear them in Durham, or if I've got a trip to your area I can pop in with them for a few hours. They will both be playing in our room at the North West Audio show.

Exact pricing will depend on final cost of materials and parts. At the moment, prices are exceptionally volatile Two months ago, best grade birch-ply was £90 a sheet, today it is pushing £300 a sheet. We hope to get the acrylic version in at under £3k. Using the same 4.5 multiplier for the birch-ply version would currently put it at around £6k.

Every cost that you can think of is changing almost daily, at the moment. We won't announce definite prices until the production run is finalised.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Betty Boo
Great Britain

Unread post by Betty Boo »

Hiya, we are spending 2 weeks in Alnwick in mid June. Will see if it’s feasible to nip by. The pricing fluctuation isn’t a surprise; working in shipping I’ve witnessed at least a 10 fold increase in container shipping costs over the last year or so. Our company is forecasting a reduction in volatility and cost by Q4 this year. ….fingers crossed
These users thanked the author Betty Boo for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun May 08, 2022 9:59 am) • CycleCoach (Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 pm)
Cyrus CD, Rega Planar, NVA phono stage, NVA AP50, BMU & DC blocker, Cambridge streamer, SSP interconnects, LS6 cables. Beyerdynamic Amiron, NVA AP10H, Dynaudio