Cable Elevators

All general audio posts go here.
Nearlymusical
Great Britain

Cable Elevators

Unread post by Nearlymusical »

I came across this whilst browsing the PS Audio forums in the US. From these videos it seems that cable elavators may be a thing. However it's suggested that the degree of effect is dependent on type of cable and sensivity of system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1EWGu7Te8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSpc7GOjxA

I may give it a try ( not sure where to buy tinker toys in the UK ) but does anyone have any experience or thoughts ???
Aurender N100H > SoTM USB cable > Audio DG DI-20 (I2s out ) > Audioquest Carbon 48 HDMI cable > PS audio Directstream DAC > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > Modwright 36.5 Pre > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > PS Audio M1200 Monoblocks > Cardas Golden Cross Speaker Cable > Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrod speakers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Cable Elevators

Unread post by savvypaul »

Everyone should certainly keep power cables away from signal cables, wherever possible. Crossing at right angles is OK, but you don't want them running alongside each other. It's also good practice to ensure speaker cables are not stressed / strained at the speaker / amplifier connections.

My suspicion is that, if the cable lifters do anything, it is related to the above rather than the act of 'elevation'. I could be wrong, but no-one that I respect in this industry / hobby has ever done anything but laugh at the idea that cable lifters are worthwhile.

YMMV
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue May 17, 2022 12:38 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I got some dirt cheap ones for a laugh and to tease a few of my more serious audiophile mates. If they make any sonic difference it's lost on me but they tidied up things a bit so they have stayed in situ.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
slinger (Mon May 16, 2022 2:14 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I made some out of polystyrene blocks, waste of time
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Mon May 16, 2022 9:22 pm) • Lindsayt (Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 am)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have, marginally, more experience with elevator cables, my speciality was avionics so many more now with fly by wire but never had anything to do with cable elevators.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Helium balloons are the best type of cable lifters, because they minimise floor borne vibration getting into the cables.
And if they leak, the change in density of the air in the room elevates the pitch of Kate Bush to bat levels, resulting in a clear improvement in enjoyment.
With it being even better if they all burst at the same time, resulting in every listener passing out.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Tue May 17, 2022 7:54 am) • savvypaul (Tue May 17, 2022 9:54 am)