Detachable head shells

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Detachable head shells

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

This week I am starting to overhaul my Kenwood KD 8030. I have purchased a new AT OC9 XSH and I am now looking for a new headshell as I am planning on fitting my modified Rega Apheta 2 to the original Kenwood headshell. I believe the AT-LH range of headshells were designed for the OC9 range but that's about as far as my headshell knowledge goes.

From scanning various forums I notice there is reasonable body of opinion that says different headshell produce different sonic characteristics but as this my first experience of a tonearm with a detachable headshell I have absolutely no point of reference and that is where I would appreciate your help and advice.

In your experience do they make a difference and which do you prefer ? Thanks in advance Paul B
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Detachable head shells

Unread post by TheMadMick »

When I was into such things, the gold standard for detachable headshells was the AKG. They are not cheap. There is an AT version but I don't have any background / experience with that. One thing that was recommended and I don't know how relevant it is, is to try adding weight such as a 1p piece to the headshell before balancing the arm out. It is said to increase the intertia and thus the bass response.

Good luck.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Look here

http://korfaudio.com/blog

Loads of stuff, scroll down and they have a load of resonance tests on various headshells
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm One thing that was recommended and I don't know how relevant it is, is to try adding weight such as a 1p piece to the headshell before balancing the arm out. It is said to increase the intertia and thus the bass response.

Good luck.
That will increase the moment of inertia and thus the effective mass of the arm. And also affect the resonance profile of the arm, this wont necessarily affect on the bass response directly
Its more of a tweak to match the cart to the arm better, or worse, as the case may be
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Thanks to both of you. I am on the case ;-)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I’ve used these with no worries- cheap n functional

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254843213662 ... media=COPY
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Cheers for the eBay link :handgestures-thumbup:

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Ive got (and had) quite a few headshells, sound quality wise theres little point recommending one because the kenwood arm is not likely one that people will have any experience with (neither is the arm on my ql-y5f for that matter).

However, there are a few i would suggest trying. Just buy s/h ones, its just a lump of metal after all.

Jelco hs25 and sumiko hs12. these have 2 pins so tend to pull in nice and square to the arm tube. The vast majority have 1 pin so tend to go in very slightly cockeyed, i.e pointing slightly upward with reference to the arm tube because it pulls where the pin is when you tighten the collar up. Those are about 12g so arent particularly heavy or light.

The old adc mag ones are useful as they are light, if you have a higher compliance cartridge, they are a go to for a reason.

Avoid the audio technica ones with the tapped holes on the underside, you simply cant line a cart up properly using the tapped holes, the chances of them being in the right place are very slim

Avoid particularly heavy headshells unless you have a low compliance cart, i.e anything over 13 to 15g, most detachable headshell arms unless they are modern stuff like the new ortofons or the last of the jelco line arent really meant for them.

Dont over tighten the collar on the arm tube because you can skew the azimuth by doing this, and check if your arm has adjustable azimuth at the collar, sme3009 does, my jvc does, a rega r200 does not. There will probably be a slot in the arm tube instead if a hole where the little setscrew that holds the collar in goes, so you can rotate the collar a little. Quite useful if you have it. I milled a slot in the arm tube on the last r200 i had so i could adjust it.
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue May 24, 2022 8:52 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Cheers Ant that's a good post and much appreciated 👍

NSNO2021
Great Britain

By a happy coincidence I have just got myself a bit of a deal on a AT-LH11H. This feels the right choice as 11g is the weight of the original Kenwood headshell and the 11g AT version seem to be in short supply - without Ants advice I would have probably gone for the cheaper version with threaded holes so it shows the benefit of asking people with hands on experience and the benefit of the forum :clap: