Antonio's 'back home' system

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Antonio's 'back home' system

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Good to see your UK system evolving Dave. Just out of curiosity are those two big square blocks transformers?
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:01 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Thank you Stu, not sure the room looks like it's from the 50's, but the speakers do. :lol:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

NSNO2021 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:20 am Good to see your UK system evolving Dave. Just out of curiosity are those two big square blocks transformers?
Yes, I was recommended this amp due to the excellent transformers. I know there are diy mods for the amp, I simple don't have the skills though.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

You are better off out of that diy malarkey Dave. Its real addictive and turns people in to proper boring wankers (yes I've been there). Then you end spending all your time on ridiculous hifi forums arguing about which capacitors are best.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:58 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

We know you've been there Stu :lol:

I will say though you do have the skills, you have also given good advise to others from your experiences.

antonio66
Great Britain

Time for an update, the Yaqin is running in nicely and certainly pairs well with the Quad's. I get a much larger and precise soundstage, I will admit to missing a little of the EL34 magic from my Musical Paradise, I still think a good few more hours are needed on the Yaqin. Unfortunately one of the Quad's has developed a buzz/crackle, you can quite easily hear this when entering the room although it doesn't affect the sound when the music is playing, or at least to my ears. I have contacted One Thing Audio who have informed me the warranty is not transferable! These were refurbished at a cost of £1000 last April and the previous owner has told me there were no caveats regarding the warranty. I have now asked OTA twice how much he thinks the cost will be to put the speaker right and when it can be booked in for, not a word from him which is bloody annoying.
On to some more good news, I have purchased a Lumin U2 mini from Badger (pfm) and it arrived yesterday, so far I have downloaded the app :) With all my techno knowledge I am not looking forward to the setting up of the damn thing, but will let you know how I get on and what it sounds like (don't be holding your breath), you will have to make do with a couple of pics. I hope you will be able to see what a quality item this looks to be and the finish is superb.

These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:31 am) • slinger (Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:05 pm)

antonio66
Great Britain

Setting up wasn't as bad as first thought. I have already been streaming Qobuz, still got to add my music from an external hard drive, but what I've heard so far, I like it. Is it better than my Aries, yes but it's close, I do need to hear a wider variety of music yet.

antonio66
Great Britain

Well nothing much has been happening with my system, I did spend 2 months abroad and haven't really listened to my set up much to be honest. Thought I'd give the Quad's another listen a couple of days ago, really to on the humm/buzz that I heard coming through one of them. Well it seemed to have disappeared, that was until this morning, it's not loud but can be heard from the sitting position if no music is playing. Looks like I'm going have to make the trip to Leicester to have them looked at.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Try swapping the speakers around to see if the noise is from them or somewhere else in the signal chain.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

What Fret said. Even with my extremely limited knowledge, I'd say that there's a fair chance that your speakers are "picking up" the hum from somewhere else rather than generating it themselves. Moving them around will cost you a couple of hours at worst, and may save you loads of dosh and a trip to Leicester at best.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X