I'm back!

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: I'm back!

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I think you'll have a huge smile on your face when you listen to the Minstrels and remind yourself how much (little) you paid for them.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 pm I think you'll have a huge smile on your face when you listen to the Minstrels and remind yourself how much (little) you paid for them.
Absolutely! I was gutted the moment I sold my previous pair, I'll be glad to have Minstrels again. Bit of a mission to collect them but couldn't let them pass at that price, especially as they look very well looked after
These users thanked the author jimbob for the post:
Lindsayt (Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm)
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Welcome back jimbob.
DIY FREE ZONE

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

karatestu wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:07 pm Welcome back jimbob.
Thanks bud 🙂
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

jimbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:21 pm
CN211276 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:13 pm
jimbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:52 am Thanks guys. Of course I've still been listening to music but just not on a hifi. As far as a source goes, I've not thought that far ahead yet and I'm not sure what options there are for streaming music via Spotify/tidal. I used Spotify on the PS4 last time round. To answer Lindsay yeah I believe I've got a pretty good deal, got a pair of minstrels off eBay last night for £100 which look to be in excellent condition. I'm getting the MK2 A80'S off a friend for £650. He has a statement amp so they're surplus to requirements. I'm going to look at sending them off to be upgraded to M600 spec at some point when funds allow.
I would not bother with Spotify as lossless is the way to go. Qobuz is my preference. I am always struck by the dynamic range of the (upgraded) A 80s on a good recording.
I'll look into Qobuz 👍 what front end do you use to run that?
I run it from the BubbleUp app on my phone and tablet. The Nas is connected from the same app. The set up is in my signature.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
jimbob (Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:28 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Managed to bag another pair of Minstrel's for £75! Cabinets are a little tatty but the driver's are all spot on so will keep these for spare parts.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I'm looking at the ifi zen DAC to get me started and just want to check that this will be suitable to use with A80's used as a preamp?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

jimbob wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:55 pm I'm looking at the ifi zen DAC to get me started and just want to check that this will be suitable to use with A80's used as a preamp?
Assuming it's a standard output and you lower the volume before playing music, then adjust...then there's no foreseeable reason for there to be a problem. I've used my RME direct into S80 and M600s on many occasions. BUT, remember that NVA is unprotected / unfiltered - if there is any kind of fault with the iFi then the A80s will not cure it, and may be damaged by it. So, ultimately, you connect it directly at your own risk.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
jimbob (Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:09 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Hmm... Might be safer getting an ifi zen, bypassing the attenuator and feeding it into a cheap single input passive until a suitable P50 comes along

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

jimbob wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:12 pm Hmm... Might be safer getting an ifi zen, bypassing the attenuator and feeding it into a cheap single input passive until a suitable P50 comes along
I've been happy to sell brand new power amps to use with a volume control equipped DAC directly connected. That's at my risk.

With secondhand gear, bought elsewhere, it is always your risk.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/