Small floorstanders

All general audio posts go here.
jimbob
Great Britain

Small floorstanders

Unread post by jimbob »

I have a bit of a thing for nice sounding small floorstanders. I'm not in the market but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard the Totem Arro's or Neat Iota Alpha's?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Small floorstanders

Unread post by karatestu »

jimbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:31 pm I have a bit of a thing for nice sounding small floorstanders. I'm not in the market but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard the Totem Arro's or Neat Iota Alpha's?
Sorry, not heard either of them but wouldn't say no to having a shufty.

By the way do you like being called Jim or Bob ? :grin:

I have some slim floorstanders from 1996 - B&W P4. 20cm wide 2 way with a quarter wave tapered line (kind off transmission line). They were my main speakers for 20 years but since hearing God sealed enclosures I have fallen out with their bass behaviour. It goes down low but the timing is all wrong.

Are those two you mention sealed, ported, TL, aperiodic or some other new devilry ?
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The only pair of small floorstanders I've managed to get on with were MK1 Rga Ela. Royd drivers, I think, but not doped...good timing.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

savvypaul wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:39 pm The only pair of small floorstanders I've managed to get on with were MK1 Rga Ela. Royd drivers, I think, but not doped...good timing.
I had a pair for a while, most enjoyable they were too! There's a tidy pair on eBay at the moment that were tempting me til the Minstrels came along.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

karatestu wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:05 pm
jimbob wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:31 pm I have a bit of a thing for nice sounding small floorstanders. I'm not in the market but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard the Totem Arro's or Neat Iota Alpha's?
Sorry, not heard either of them but wouldn't say no to having a shufty.

By the way do you like being called Jim or Bob ? :grin:

I have some slim floorstanders from 1996 - B&W P4. 20cm wide 2 way with a quarter wave tapered line (kind off transmission line). They were my main speakers for 20 years but since hearing God sealed enclosures I have fallen out with their bass behaviour. It goes down low but the timing is all wrong.

Are those two you mention sealed, ported, TL, aperiodic or some other new devilry ?
Well I'm called James so either that or Jim 😆

They're both ported, I've heard many good things about the Arro's and Totem speakers in general. Neat also do a larger Iota with isobaric bass drivers... That's one I'd love to hear!