Do low power amps sound better than more powerful ones?

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Do low power amps sound better than more powerful ones?

Unread post by karatestu »

Or howz about my A20 sounds better than your NAP250. And my dad can smack your dad.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:51 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

karatestu wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:40 am Hey you guys are not doing any good for nva's survival by suggesting the entry level amps are good enough.
I think Doc would have approved of the sentiment and the honest subjective assessment…….
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:37 am) • Shevans (Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 am) • Lindsayt (Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:52 am)
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

If I had a larger room, or inefficient speakers then I would absolutely need more power!

Always fancied a Church conversation with a vaulted ceiling, humongous living room and some big JBL’s with enough oomph behind them to make the local think the organ is still working,

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Anthony Michaelson (whatever you may think of him) said that the first watt is the most important. Get that right and the rest follows. Mind you he did talk a lot of rubbish sometimes.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Shevans wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 am Always fancied a Church conversion with a vaulted ceiling, humongous living room and some big JBL’s with enough oomph behind them to make the local think the organ is still working,
How big a church and how big an amp do you think you would need?

I use a 150WPC amp and some efficient PA speakers in a church 40m long20 wide and 25 to 30 high. It can get VERY loud.
OK the Bose speakers that fill in add a bit but the main sound is via the 150 W amp, which by the way isn't turned up to full.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

As usual, it's about what you're trying to achieve and what you're working with. Efficient, easy impedance speakers, average British living room, sensible listening levels - try an S80. I like the S80 with my Klipsch Heresys. We sold an SIP to a guy in Germany who is using it with 7 foot tall horn speakers. He wanted something solid state for the Summer!

Less efficient speakers, larger room, higher levels, more demanding music - the larger amps will do better. For example, the 3 Square Audio Ayals love power (and volume).

The other consideration which I've found does make a worthwhile difference is having dedicated power supplies for input and output stages The S80 case is not large enough for that.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:05 pm
Shevans wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 am Always fancied a Church conversion with a vaulted ceiling, humongous living room and some big JBL’s with enough oomph behind them to make the local think the organ is still working,
How big a church and how big an amp do you think you would need?

I use a 150WPC amp and some efficient PA speakers in a church 40m long20 wide and 25 to 30 high. It can get VERY loud.
OK the Bose speakers that fill in add a bit but the main sound is via the 150 W amp, which by the way isn't turned up to full.
Yeah… an amp capable of 150W per channel was exactly my ballpark thinking, I do however have these in mind… Start with one and add another in bridged mode as required.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-26 ... amplifier/

Don’t have any money but it’s the though that counts.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My understanding is that bridged mode is likely to result in audible sonic compromises?
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Geoff.R.G (Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:41 pm)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:22 pm My understanding is that bridged mode is likely to result in audible sonic compromises?
Yes, that would be the case but the current trend is class D amplification where high power is considered necessary. Personally I would rather have efficient speakers and a lower power amplifier. I try to avoid class D.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:36 pm)

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:44 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:22 pm My understanding is that bridged mode is likely to result in audible sonic compromises?
Yes, that would be the case but the current trend is class D amplification where high power is considered necessary. Personally I would rather have efficient speakers and a lower power amplifier. I try to avoid class D.
I've never found a switching amp i'm happy with... Switchmode PSU in a linear amp - yes, other way around or <cringe> SMPSU & Class D, no thanks.

It's been my observation in the past that with the right speakers, a lower voltage rail _can_ result in a better subjective sound. I have a theory or 2 but they are probably just rubbish.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 pm)