Do low power amps sound better than more powerful ones?

All general audio posts go here.
Copperblue

Do low power amps sound better than more powerful ones?

Unread post by Copperblue »

Over the years, I have tried many different types of amplifiers and have always had a feeling that lower power amplifiers can connect you to the music in a better and more musical way compared to high power units. This idea first manifested itself with my first try with NVA which was the NVA AP30 amp, circa 15+ years ago. I just felt it had an “open window” sound that was so natural.

Recently - after a very convoluted route - I ended up with an S80 power amp for an office system. I am running it directly from a DAC in that system and think it’s just super. However, recently I have been trying it in the main system replacing A70’s and using a pair of Audio Note AX2 loudspeakers (I have two pairs of these brilliant speakers). Again I get the feeling that I am preferring the lower power amp - it just sounds more natural and inviting to my ears.

I just wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience or is it just me ???? :roll: :roll:
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Do low power amps sound better than more powerful ones?

Unread post by Shevans »

It’s not just you, I had a pair of A40’s and subsequently bought the AP10P for the bedroom. the AP10 driving the same speakers as the A40s was preferred.

Currently have an 80W NAD amplifier (streamer box o tricks) but honestly considering a lower power amp as I just find them engaging / fun.
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
Copperblue (Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:54 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I'm kind of with you two. :romance-grouphug:

I had whopping great 35V 350VA toroids in my power supplies. Then I tried some little 25V 100VA EI frame transformers and preferred the outcome with the EI. Not quite a fair comparison though as not only was the voltage and VA lower but the type of transformer changed. Everything else stayed the same including the capacitor banks.

I suspect my speakers are a very easy load as the mid bass have no electrical filters and the high pass filter for the tweeter is done passively at line level (input stage of the power amp).

Results could be entirely diferent with different speakers and amplifiers.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Copperblue (Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:55 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Amongst sold state amps, I can think of examples where the more powerful one in a particular model range has sounded better to me.

When you start talking different designers, different brands, all bets are off. It all depends.

I think there's a lot to be said for having high efficiency and gentle impedance speakers. So that amplifier power is taken out of the equation. And you're just left with looking for an amplifier where the first watt sounds as pure as possible.

As well as high efficiency speakers tending to have a dynamic freedom and clarity that's lacking in low efficiency designs.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

If you read the original advertising for the Quad 405 you will see what Peter Walker had to say, essentially, it is easier to make a small, accurate amplifier than a large one. He then goes on to explain how he used a small amplifier to improve a large one.

From this I conclude that a well designed small, low power, amplifier is likely to be more accurate than a higher power one. The information available on the current dumping design further suggests that heat is a problem where noise is concerned. Lower power should mean lower temperature and lower noise.

As long as there is sufficient power available to drive the speakers I would suggest that an amplifier driven optimally should sound better than a bigger, or smaller, one driven below or above the optimum. Which seems to be what you are finding.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

So not just me then…….

The AX-2 speakers are designed for lower power valve amps so that definitely helps …..
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

When I had my A80s upgraded to the latest specifications the A20 from the second system was moved to the main system. The sound signature was the same and I was losing very little at low and modest volume. I was pleasantly surprised and did not play any less music during the wait. What I did not have was the dynamic impact and sheer clout which is important for heavy rock in a detached house.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Latteman (Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:25 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Hey you guys are not doing any good for nva's survival by suggesting the entry level amps are good enough.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:40 am Hey you guys are not doing any good for nva's survival by suggesting the entry level amps are good enough.
Should we do the Linn fanboy thing where we're convinced that the least expensive NVA amp sounds better than every other amplifier ever made, because of some unique magic in the development and some special philosophy? :text-woo:

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:06 am
karatestu wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:40 am Hey you guys are not doing any good for nva's survival by suggesting the entry level amps are good enough.
Should we do the Linn fanboy thing where we're convinced that the least expensive NVA amp sounds better than every other amplifier ever made, because of some unique magic in the development and some special philosophy? :text-woo:
Yes
DIY FREE ZONE