Stupid human vanity but I am thinking about it any way .

All general audio posts go here.
Bencat57
Great Britain

Stupid human vanity but I am thinking about it any way .

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Okay I admit this is just me being who I am and acting daft really . I recently had to take my used A60 Amp back to NVA for repair and while there chatted with Paul who as always was both patient and interesting . I was given a little view of the new amplifiers and the new matt cases . I have to say that I really do love the new look and in the course of my chat Paul told me that going forward the larger power amplifiers are going to be housed in these type of cases .

Now it will not change the sound one little bit but I have asked Paul if it would be possible at some stage to have my A60 put in one of the new cases . I have no idea what he will say or if it is going to cost too much to be sensible but it would add a real pride of ownership for me as I like the new look that much .

What is the general view on here ? Do you like the more conventional and less blingy new cases or do you still think the shiny perspex is the right look . As I say I may well not get my wish or it may be just to much to consider . But it would be nice at some stage to just do it and make me happy .

Please note I will ask Paul if he can mark the amp in some way to make it very clear that this is not one of the new production so that no one would be able if I ever sold it to pretend it is current stock and bump the price up . Frankly I doubt I would ever sell it but not everyone wants to be as honest as some .
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:26 pm) • antonio66 (Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:28 am)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Stupid human vanity but I am thinking about it any way .

Unread post by slinger »

TBH the sound something produces always trumps the looks as far as I'm concerned, but, if you can get the sound you love AND a box you appreciate, I say go for it.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:15 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

SQ is my overdoing consideration and I have no issues with the look of NVA kit, not that it is very visible being stored deep a rack to the side of a speakers. Colour matching is a consideration and my source components and PSs are matching black. Colour matching was discarded big time for SQ with the oak speaker stands but they are more appealing to the eye than the black Arcanada heavy metal ones, something a family member has commented on. The oak stands match the rack colour wise, so all is not lost. :grin:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:15 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The way I see it is that at a bake-off, the better sounding item or system wins if it costs less. If it costs more it wins if the price is justifiable to the individual.

If 2 items sound the same, or equally good in a swings and roundabouts kind of way, cheapest wins.

In this case we're looking at 2 equally good sounding options. Therefore the cheaper solution to you wins the bake-off.

Going for a bake-off loser, just because you like the looks, when it's only an amplifier anyway, doesn't make any sense to me at all.

And it's only bloody hi-fi. There must be other stuff you can productively / pleasurably spend your time and attention and money on. Even if it's only more vinyl / CD's / concert tickets...

However it's your money and your choice.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Bencat57 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:46 pm Okay I admit this is just me being who I am and acting daft really . I recently had to take my used A60 Amp back to NVA for repair and while there chatted with Paul who as always was both patient and interesting . I was given a little view of the new amplifiers and the new matt cases . I have to say that I really do love the new look and in the course of my chat Paul told me that going forward the larger power amplifiers are going to be housed in these type of cases .

Now it will not change the sound one little bit but I have asked Paul if it would be possible at some stage to have my A60 put in one of the new cases . I have no idea what he will say or if it is going to cost too much to be sensible but it would add a real pride of ownership for me as I like the new look that much .

What is the general view on here ? Do you like the more conventional and less blingy new cases or do you still think the shiny perspex is the right look . As I say I may well not get my wish or it may be just to much to consider . But it would be nice at some stage to just do it and make me happy .

Please note I will ask Paul if he can mark the amp in some way to make it very clear that this is not one of the new production so that no one would be able if I ever sold it to pretend it is current stock and bump the price up . Frankly I doubt I would ever sell it but not everyone wants to be as honest as some .
My advice would be to trade in and get a new amp. If you decide to go that way.
The new power supply components improve the performance of the amp boards incredibly imho, (as demonstrated by the new integrated,) so maybe give a new one a listen, when they're done, and then make up your mind.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 3):
Bencat57 (Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:40 am) • antonio66 (Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:28 am) • CN211276 (Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:42 am)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

It's not really practical or cost effective to transfer the innards of an NVA amp into a different case. The transformers and capacitors have to be chiselled out - so they would then be discarded. Plus, we want to keep the innards of the new power amplifiers consistent. We will have generous part exchange offers on the new amps, and that will definitely be the best route into the new cases.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:27 am) • CycleCoach (Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:47 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

savvypaul wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am It's not really practical or cost effective to transfer the innards of an NVA amp into a different case. The transformers and capacitors have to be chiselled out - so they would then be discarded. Plus, we want to keep the innards of the new power amplifiers consistent. We will have generous part exchange offers on the new amps, and that will definitely be the best route into the new cases.
Is the idea that all products will eventually be sold in these new cases?
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

George Hincapie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:22 am
savvypaul wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am It's not really practical or cost effective to transfer the innards of an NVA amp into a different case. The transformers and capacitors have to be chiselled out - so they would then be discarded. Plus, we want to keep the innards of the new power amplifiers consistent. We will have generous part exchange offers on the new amps, and that will definitely be the best route into the new cases.
Is the idea that all products will eventually be sold in these new cases?
The square cases (S150, S300, M300, M600) will be discontinued once our existing stock of cases has been exhausted.

The new line up of larger amps, in the satin matt cases, will be:

Integrated with single 250va power supply or 400va twin power supply. Choice of volume pots, including stepped attenuator. Priced from £2500 to £4500. Upgrade between 3 different specifications by paying only the difference in price. Release date imminent - just awaiting professional images for website etc.

Stereo power with 400va twin power supply. Prices to be confirmed. Expected release early 2023.

Monoblocks with 400va twin power supply per channel. Prices to be confirmed. Expected release early 2023.

Pre-amp. Same width as existing P50 but taller (to match power amp cases). Choice of volume pots, including stepped attenuator. Prices to be confirmed. Expected release late 2022.

P2 phono stage with separate twin power supply, in same size case as the new pre-amp.

A combination of pre-amp and monoblocks will fit neatly on a standard 120cm AV unit.

Part exchange offers will be available on all of the above. All of the above will have a 5 year first-user warranty, as standard.

The P50 / S80 / P1 / AP10H / AP10P range will be retained in the gloss black cases. The satin matt cases are too expensive to hit the price points required for this range.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:57 am) • George Hincapie (Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:29 pm) • Bencat57 (Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:02 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/