Curiosity gets the better of me (again)

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Curiosity gets the better of me (again)

Unread post by karatestu »

The small size of the amps is remarkable. One in each pocket :grin: my only exposure to Class D is my JBL Bluetooth jobbie. Nothing to complain about there. Although its not a fair comparison with my main equipment which is in a completely higher stratosphere.

The chip probably has more than one power pin , each one ought to be powered from a different regulator (one would hope). It can get really interesting when however many regulators there are, are given their own dedicated psu (right back to separate transformers). I did that with my cdp and the dac chip alone has three psu's, the fancy clock another anc thd iriyinal psu powering thd rest. If i hadn't bypassed the six opamps in the output stage i would have ended up with a shed load more.

Sometimes I find you just can't go far enough with separating things out. If your speakers are wired for biamping then get another two of the blighters - balance control and tone control :grin: You might get tired of adjusting four volume controls though :lol:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Geoff.R.G (Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:48 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Don't know about UK and Holland, but at least here in Finland, class d amps are quite popular DIY projects. Boards are reasonable priced and quite easy to put together, if I have understood correctly.
These users thanked the author Firebug1 for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:09 pm) • slinger (Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:04 pm) • karatestu (Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:22 am)
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 pm The small size of the amps is remarkable. One in each pocket :grin: my only exposure to Class D is my JBL Bluetooth jobbie. Nothing to complain about there. Although its not a fair comparison with my main equipment which is in a completely higher stratosphere.

The chip probably has more than one power pin , each one ought to be powered from a different regulator (one would hope). It can get really interesting when however many regulators there are, are given their own dedicated psu (right back to separate transformers). I did that with my cdp and the dac chip alone has three psu's, the fancy clock another anc thd iriyinal psu powering thd rest. If i hadn't bypassed the six opamps in the output stage i would have ended up with a shed load more.

Sometimes I find you just can't go far enough with separating things out. If your speakers are wired for biamping then get another two of the blighters - balance control and tone control :grin: You might get tired of adjusting four volume controls though :lol:
Stu, depending on the chip, the power pins may be connected together inside. Always worth checking before supplying each pin from a different PSU.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
slinger (Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:04 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I am also intrigued by the advances of class D Amps, especially when the likes of Nelson Pass is saying the very best class D Amps are getting to be very good then you have to acknowledge the rate of progress is impressive.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:50 pm
karatestu wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 pm The small size of the amps is remarkable. One in each pocket :grin: my only exposure to Class D is my JBL Bluetooth jobbie. Nothing to complain about there. Although its not a fair comparison with my main equipment which is in a completely higher stratosphere.

Stu, depending on the chip, the power pins may be connected together inside. Always worth checking before supplying each pin from a different PSU.
Of ourse Groff, always read the data sheet. I would say though that if each pin already has its own regulator then it shouldn't be directly connected inside ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 pm I am also intrigued by the advances of class D Amps, especially when the likes of Nelson Pass is saying the very best class D Amps are getting to be very good then you have to acknowledge the rate of progress is impressive.
It has taken 65 years! Admittedly most of that time was spent waiting for suitable semiconductors but the rapid progress hasn't been quite as impressive as it might look.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:06 am) • Grumpytim (Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:54 am) • CN211276 (Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 pm)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Chopping & changing. Hooked up a spare set of speakers to the Douk G4 for a blast. These are (Dutch) Audiolab Minax that I Doc-Modded back in 2015 and used as my main speakers for a while.

These boxes have a troublesome tweeter that is rather shrill and has been Plasti-dipped to tame it. With the Class D amps this shrillness was unpleasantly overbearing and it is obvious that this combination isn't going to work.

Attaching the Minax to the old warhorse Kenwood KA-4010 was a different story, sounds great! So this has freed up the G4's and the Mission 760's for an alternative setup that is taking shape.

Now I just need some speaker cables, wonder what there is on Amazon?

:dance:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:39 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Result! :dance:

If you look closely you can see the two tiny Douk G4 amps tucked under the monitor of my home office desktop. Nicked the speaker cables (NVA LS5) temporarily from the music workstation and have ordered a short pair of Douk's own OFC speaker leads from Amazon, may be in tomorrow.

For now this is doing exactly what I wanted it to do ...
.... make music!

:music-listening:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 4):
Latteman (Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm) • slinger (Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:55 pm) • TheRealAleman (Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:30 pm) • Grumpytim (Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:12 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 am
It has taken 65 years! Admittedly most of that time was spent waiting for suitable semiconductors but the rapid progress hasn't been quite as impressive as it might look.
Interesting. It predates digital playback, where there has been rapid progress in the past decade, by some.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:01 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 am
Interesting. It predates digital playback, where there has been rapid progress in the past decade, by some.
I was surprised too, I thought I was a much more recent development.