MM versus MC

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: MM versus MC

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Bear in mind that the mm magnet generally weighs more than a set of coils these days. When i mentioned potentially less moving mass, i was thinking along the lines of the old line of empire carts including the 1000gt and 600lac which were built specifically to have very very low moving mass in the generator. These were very expensive for the time and mc was not as prevalent so they probably needed a usp for the range to stick out in the market. Nobody bothers these days, who will buy a thousand pound plus mm that is built this way (if one was available and the market was there to bother in the first place) when they can just buy an mc?

It is a potential benefit, not specifically an expected one
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm Bear in mind that the mm magnet generally weighs more than a set of coils these days. When i mentioned potentially less moving mass, i was thinking along the lines of the old line of empire carts including the 1000gt and 600lac which were built specifically to have very very low moving mass in the generator. These were very expensive for the time and mc was not as prevalent so they probably needed a usp for the range to stick out in the market. Nobody bothers these days, who will buy a thousand pound plus mm that is built this way (if one was available and the market was there to bother in the first place) when they can just buy an mc?

Thanks for that, my cartridges are more than 40 years old so probably time I updated myself. I was actually referring to the Ortofon video where the presenter suggested that the mass of the magnet was low. As there are due to be two more in the series I didn’t want to draw any conclusions without seeing them. I certainly didn’t get the impression that MC was automatically superior, there are factors that may mean a MM is superior in some applications, as I have sure you know.

To answer the question, some one who has an arm that is finicky about low compliance cartridges might be prepared to pay £1,000 for a MM that is more compatible. I would be happy to try a MC if I thought there was one that would work with my SME 3009 S2 improved but when I was more into Hi-Fi such pairings weren’t recommended. Times change.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm Bear in mind that the mm magnet generally weighs more than a set of coils these days. When i mentioned potentially less moving mass, i was thinking along the lines of the old line of empire carts including the 1000gt and 600lac which were built specifically to have very very low moving mass in the generator. These were very expensive for the time and mc was not as prevalent so they probably needed a usp for the range to stick out in the market. Nobody bothers these days, who will buy a thousand pound plus mm that is built this way (if one was available and the market was there to bother in the first place) when they can just buy an mc?

This is why I've been interested in trying a MI. From what I understand, the 'iron' is mounted on the cantilever and is generally lower weight than a magnet, so has a moving mass similar to a MC. My understanding has always been that MC's main perceived advantage over MM's is their (generally) lower moving mass, which gives them an ability to respond faster as they track the groove on the record. I'm sure that's not the be all and end all of it, but (even) I can at least understand that that should offer a theoretical advantage.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Well it appears that I have actually been thinking, and taking, about moving iron type cartridges. My Ortofon VMS 30 being a variation on the principle. Thus low moving mass, similar to or less than moving coil, and compliance appropriate to my SME arm. I should have looked up the variable magnetic shunt principle earlier. Certainly the VMS 30 out performed the Shure M75ED back in its day. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.