Schumann Resonance

All general audio posts go here.
tweet_my_ribbon

Schumann Resonance

Unread post by tweet_my_ribbon »

The Earth frquency 7.83Hz or Schumann Resonance interests me at the moment. A lot of stuff is sold on the basis it produces this frequency and can help with sleep among other things.

I have read that the small machines that can produce it are too small to make any difference and that it's all woo woo sales and marketing hype. Then again I read from others that it does help with relaxation or rest and produces positive results for the user.

So of course I went to youtube and there are loads of videos with a low tone claiming to be that resonance.

Is it possible to make an mp3 (compressed) or mp4 or even wav containing the Schumann 7.83Hz signal ? I thought human hearing was in the range of 20Hz - 20KHz and most speakers and earphones catered to that range. Is it all just :Bllocks: :?: or has anyone had experience of a generator that produces a good healing/calming signal ?

---A mp3 was recorded ! 11 hours in length and I have listened and slept with my air tube ear buds. I'm still on the fence. This sounds like a very low bass tone mixed with some nice soothing relaxation tunes. Very nice to fall asleep to but I don't see how it can contain the 7.83Hz signal as the ear phones only do the standard audio range.
What say you guys ?
NVA amps, speakers, interconnects & speaker cables produce the music.

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Hana, Musical Fidelity, Sony, Cyrus & Soneteer.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Schumann Resonance

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have a signal generator app on my iPad (fGenerator Pro) that can generate that frequency but I certainly can’t hear it.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Try building a speaker that can produce it :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Is this the frequency that the Grateful Dead tried to use in order to make the audience shit themselves? :-?
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:52 pm Try building a speaker that can produce it :grin:
Any speaker can reproduce it but at a much lower level than it can something between 50Hz and 20KHz.

karatestu
Great Britain

Fair point Geoff but how many amplifier ponies would we need to get a useful output especially with those stunt bass ported speakers that roll off at 12dB octave ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

An out of balance rotor spinning at 470 revs per minute would give you the 7.83 hz.

You could make that out of an electric motor, maybe a gearbox and a bearinged shaft with a weight screwed onto it at 90 degrees to the rotating axis. The downside is that it would be difficult to make a quiet mechanical resonator.

The commercially available Schumann Resonators that I've seen, look like they give a feeble amount of resonant force.

Something that's worth bearing in mind is that when it comes relaxing, placebo works very well - according to my understanding of the scientific research.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

reminds me of this story...

The mystery magnified for Dr. Gavreau and his team, when they tried to measure the sound intensity and pitch. Failing to register any acoustic readings at all, the team doubted the assessment of the building engineers. Never­theless, closing the windows blocked the sense of nausea. In a step of bril­liant scientific reasoning, Gavreau and his colleagues realized that the sound with which they were dealing was so low in pitch that it could not register on any available microphonic detector. The data was costly to the crew.

They could not pursue the "search" for long time periods. During the very course of tracking the sound down, an accidental direct exposure rendered them all extremely ill for hours. When finally measured, it was found that a low intensity pitch of a fundamental 7 cycles per second was being produced. Furthermore, this infrasonic pitch was not one of great intensity ei­ther. It became obvious that the slow vibrating motor was activating an infra­sonic resonant mode in the large concrete duct. Operating as the vibrating "tongue" of an immense "organ pipe", the rattling motor produced nauseat­ing infrasound. Coupled with the rest of the concrete building, a cavernous industrial enclosure, the vibrating air column formed a bizarre infrasonic "amplifier".
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:55 am) • Lindsayt (Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:11 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Resonance-frequencies-of-human-body-organs

tweet_my_ribbon

Unread post by tweet_my_ribbon »

Thanks for the information. Time to moan - I asked due to it being a personal problem. A next door neighbour uses a washing machine and tumble drier overnight, on a very regular basis. We do not get on due to this and other noise intrusions. Land lord has been no help. And complaints have been made by myself more than once.

Last night for instance, 7-8 hours non stop. I was kept awake the whole night. Unfortunately the washing machine is the super quiet variety, so is only just audible but my body is hypersensitive to these machines so try as I might to relax with the calming tones through ear buds, sound oasis machine with multiple noises natural & man made, ear plugs, radio 4. Putting bed as far away as possible. Nothing works.

I have learnt to relax all my muscles and steady breathing but this noise intrusion targets the heart, mainly keeping it at approx 65-75 bpm. Also the eyes with constant blinking when shut. No chance of sleeping.

Do these washing machines produce infrasonics ? The low frequency assault sounds plausible. Unfortunately I have no idea how to shield myself exept with distance but I don't want to sleep in the garden. There is also a clinical reason(s) why I'm hypersensitive to noise when sleeping which complicates matters massively. (someone sent me a helpful text "you can't choose your neighbours")

This is why I'm taking a punt on a Schumann resonance machine to add to the 11 hour mp3 file that was no good last night. Desperation and sleep depravation is guiding me now.

Looking at the table of frequencies it seems I may be being hit between 20 - 90 Hz region. Is it possible to make these infrasonic freqs less by mixing with other noises ?
NVA amps, speakers, interconnects & speaker cables produce the music.

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Hana, Musical Fidelity, Sony, Cyrus & Soneteer.