CD Transport

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: CD Transport

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 am I recently got a Philips 751 cd player with the 1549 DAC for £45 Inc postage. At some point, I'll compare it to the Audiolab we use for shows.

The Audiolab is very good.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

With digital sources, when I've compared them in the past, I've really struggled to get worked up over the sonic differences. Especially in the context of differences you can get from different amps and speakers.
The differences in price are something I could get worked up over.
Latteman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:13 pm As a non cd user I ask, not for argument sakes, but why - most music is available online via a streaming platform- I have boxed all my cds.

I could be forced back if a Musical Fidelity M1 cdp turned up😂
I went through a period of buying used CD's from ebay, car boot sales. I was buying quite a few per year for the same price as a year's subscription to Spotify. After a while I got tired of the ubiquitous excessive Loudness Wars compression on 21st century releases.

I'm also old school and like having physical media.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Shevans (Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:22 pm)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

One charity shop (near me) is selling CDs @ 10 for £1.

So it's cheap to build up a sizable collection.

And, the range of titles is surprisingly broad, not just "old git" music. :lol:

In the past I have purchased "job lots" of CDs from Ebay sellers, the last few were mainly classical, but that is good for me.
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post (total 3):
Shevans (Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:21 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:33 pm) • DaveyTed (Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 pm)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Re the Cambridge CXC, mine developed a skipping problem.

Reading up on CXC problems I reasoned it may be a laser problem. I found the CXC uses a Sanyo laser unit, so I ordered one from Amazon, it came from China and was about £12.50 inc carriage.

I pissed up the fitting of it, so I now have another £12.50 special from Ebay, but from China again, just waiting to get it fitted.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

valvesRus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:01 pm One charity shop (near me) is selling CDs @ 10 for £1.

So it's cheap to build up a sizable collection.

And, the range of titles is surprisingly broad, not just "old git" music. :lol:

In the past I have purchased "job lots" of CDs from Ebay sellers, the last few were mainly classical, but that is good for me.
My last purchase was 350 CD for £30, only handful were truly awful but the rest were keepers. One CD was actually recorded at our local church of some rather nice female singing accompanied by a harp.

Our local dump (recycling centre) often has piles of CDs thrown into the general rubbish skip. Unfortunately they won’t let me dive in and as it’s a big deep commercial skip I doubt I would ever get out.
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post (total 3):
slinger (Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:49 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:33 pm) • Nearlymusical (Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:37 pm)