Class D :mrgreen:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Voumio make a steamer, dac and amps in one box :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: I've done my own head in.........again

Unread post by karatestu »

It has been a long, expensive, frustrating and time consuming journey to this point where I have finally realised it was pointless and all for nothing. I think of all the other things I could have been doing ........like actually listening to music :dance: or earning more money :cry:
DIY FREE ZONE

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Funny Stu. You have actually inspired me to go down that rabbit hole with my Rubik's. The good news for me is that some other mad sod has spent 5 years doing all the hard work 😁 ... Thanks 🤣😂🤣😂

I can also "blame" Fretless and co for getting me out of the dark ages and into lossless oversampled streaming (Volumio on a NUC type PC, with a DACMagic 200 dac) The good news is that I am not going down the rabbit hole of cables, filters and LPSU's It works, music sounds great. May rip the CD collection just to give me more record storage space. The NVA and fruitbox upgrades have really rekindled my love of music, so from now on money is getting spent on vinyl. Hardware can take a back seat!
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:44 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Stu, search "volumio primo review" on YouTube for more info on the beast.

Here's a f'rinstance...

There are plenty more.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:44 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Stu if it reduces the frustration, stress and cost of delivering the music you like then that's the way to go.

What's great is the choices that we currently have re music playback. Never has it been so big, there is literally something for everyone and I have always resisted being locked into a school of thought or particular audio "camp".

If your system and the music it plays moves you, makes your toes tap, makes you smile then that's great because that's all I ask of mine.

And FWIW I still love making my own audio tweaks, sure in the final analysis some are a frustrating waste of time and money but with the amount of information out on the web the bad decisions are minimal and when I do get a positive result I feel happy and satisfied that my curiosity has been rewarded.

My latest focus area is my Planar 8 glass platter, it's a 3 piece affair that highlights Rega absence of quality control. I have convinced myself I can and will make a much better quality multi layer platter, a platter that reduces and dissipates vibrations and in doing so gives me a better understanding of what's been recorded.

Onward and upwards my good audio friends.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:19 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:03 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:11 pm

No music ripped or stored on anything Dave. Can't be arsed with that. I'd be obsessing about the rip and anything else that could possibly be obsessed about :grin:

Ripping CDs is straightforward but time consuming. Something I have not done for a while so others here could best advis you of the best programmes. The rips would need to be in FLAC or WAV.

You might want to consider lossless streaming and compare Qobuz to Tidal. I have found that Qobuz streams usually sound better than my ripped CDs through superior mastering.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:16 pm) • TheRealAleman (Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:29 pm) • NSNO2021 (Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:35 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

karatestu wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:50 pm Yet again I am giving in with this diy audio lark.i must face up to the fact that I am just not upto producing anything worthwhile . Its all going in a storage box just in case I ever get the urge 6o subject myself to more mental torture.
Alternatively, I do happen to know of someone that would be interested in taking some of those tweeter units off your hands :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I'm a big Qobuz fan, for reasons I don't pretend to understand I never got on with Tidal, it sounded like a decent car stereo so I got shut and I have been happy with Qobuz from my first day with it.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Nearlymusical
Great Britain

Unread post by Nearlymusical »

+1 for Qobuz - I also switched from Tidal
Aurender N100H > SoTM USB cable > Audio DG DI-20 (I2s out ) > Audioquest Carbon 48 HDMI cable > PS audio Directstream DAC > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > Modwright 36.5 Pre > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > PS Audio M1200 Monoblocks > Cardas Golden Cross Speaker Cable > Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrod speakers

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Another who switched from Tidal. I prefer the sound and there is no MQA smoke and mirrors. You know the Bit and sample rates, up to 192kHz. The problem with Qobuz is gaps in the catalogue but I have recently overcome that to a large extent. They have a facility where you can inform them of missing albums and they usually put things right if you provide a link to it from another streaming platform. I have been doing so with free Spotify. Soundiiz turned out to be a red herring for this.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
TheRealAleman (Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc