I've done my own head in.........again

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

I've done my own head in.........again

Unread post by karatestu »

Yet again I am giving in with this diy audio lark.i must face up to the fact that I am just not upto producing anything worthwhile . Its all going in a storage box just in case I ever get the urge 6o subject myself to more mental torture.

Going forward I will use my AP20 with something like a node streamer/dac from Richer Sounds and my Doc modded B&W P4. Job done. Really can't be doing with this obsession anymore. No more CD or vinyl, can't be arsed anymore. Feels good to say this. I've said it before but this time I mean it. Not that anyone actually cares but me. No, hang on I just said I didn't care. Take no notice of me I am completely full of shit.

Anybody got a better option than the node streamer with dac built in for similar money (£550) ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: I've done my own head in.........again

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I know nothing about streamers Stu, except the BBC.
As you know I have little time for Hi-Fi and more for live sound. It is my involvement with the latter that makes me cynical about Hi-Fi, all that effort to reproduce something that often isn’t what the band actually played. Some recordings can make my hair stand on end, others are big turn-off.

If streaming works for you, great! Personally I am happy with my aging collection but CDs, Vinyl and tapes with some BBC radio. I’d like a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers but I’m in no hurry. One day maybe.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:42 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Streaming is very much what it is today as far as the mass market is concerned. I have become very much aware, even from my age group, that vinyl and CD are dinasours. With the advancement of technology streaming does not mean SQ compromises. IMO, with decent amps and speakers, it is the pinnacle. SQ aside it has so many other advantages, eg convenience and portability.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:43 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Volumio Primo is a good streaming unit. Easy to use
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:43 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well the title of the thread made me laugh. :lol:

Is it better than Node, I don't know but you can store all you ripped cd's and stream as well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203964134552 ... R8C47rjIYQ
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:44 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 pm Streaming is very much what it is today as far as the mass market is concerned. I have become very much aware, even from my age group, that vinyl and CD are dinasours. With the advancement of technology streaming does not mean SQ compromises. IMO, with decent amps and speakers, it is the pinnacle. SQ aside it has so many other advantages, eg convenience and portability.
I have to agree with you there Clive. Six years ago when I joined this forum i would not have entertained it, it's funny how our prejudices shape what we do and the decisions we make. Blinkered.

I enjoyed getting the turntable out recently but it has been put away again. I don't see the point in CD's anymore because streaming is basically the same thing but you don't have to store the bloody things and you don't have to worry about the laser going pop.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
CN211276 (Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:16 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:10 pm I know nothing about streamers Stu, except the BBC.
As you know I have little time for Hi-Fi and more for live sound. It is my involvement with the latter that makes me cynical about Hi-Fi, all that effort to reproduce something that often isn’t what the band actually played. Some recordings can make my hair stand on end, others are big turn-off.

If streaming works for you, great! Personally I am happy with my aging collection but CDs, Vinyl and tapes with some BBC radio. I’d like a pair of Quad electrostatic speakers but I’m in no hurry. One day maybe.
Having little time for hifi sounds liberating Geoff. I have been on this roller-coaster of low quality diy bodgineering for six years and it's time to get off. I'm exhausted and still no nearer to making anything decent.

I don't really get too involved with the engineering at gigs apart from setting up the microphone in my bass drum if required. I have a few questions to ask about PA and mixing desks but will start a new thread.

Don't put things off Geoff, life is too short. Get those panels bought :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm Volumio Primo is a good streaming unit. Easy to use
Thanks for the suggestion :grin:

I have been reading this https://www.stereophile.com/content/ ... reamer

My brain hurts now. All I need to know is will it be usable with my android tablet and my family's iphones? They use apple music and I use YouTube music. All via Bluetooth. I expect using the primo's WiFi connection and using the volumio software would be a better option for SQ ?

What worries me about it is Stereophild describe it as being perfect for types who like tk tinker. I'm trying to refrain from ruining things :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:59 am Well the title of the thread made me laugh. :lol:

Is it better than Node, I don't know but you can store all you ripped cd's and stream as well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203964134552 ... R8C47rjIYQ
Glad you got a laugh from the title Dave :lol: it's true, it's all my own doing :roll:

Thanks for that suggestion, I am researching it now. :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:56 am
CN211276 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 pm Streaming is very much what it is today as far as the mass market is concerned. I have become very much aware, even from my age group, that vinyl and CD are dinasours. With the advancement of technology streaming does not mean SQ compromises. IMO, with decent amps and speakers, it is the pinnacle. SQ aside it has so many other advantages, eg convenience and portability.
I have to agree with you there Clive. Six years ago when I joined this forum i would not have entertained it, it's funny how our prejudices shape what we do and the decisions we make. Blinkered.

I enjoyed getting the turntable out recently but it has been put away again. I don't see the point in CD's anymore because streaming is basically the same thing but you don't have to store the bloody things and you don't have to worry about the laser going pop.
If you're buying and running used sub £30 CD players, it's not such a worry if the mechanism fails. Just buy another.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:08 am)