Bristol Show

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Bristol Show

Unread post by savvypaul »

On a direct train from Durham to Bristol. 4 and a half hours. No catering due to staff shortages.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff_Burns
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff_Burns »

Nice to meet Paul and Mark today, and CN211276.

I may not have bought any gear, but I did spend far too much on vinyl 🎶😁🤘
These users thanked the author Geoff_Burns for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:31 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:09 pm)
__

Rega P3/Exact, NVA PA50/S80 (HF)/M160 monoblocks (LF)/AP10H Headphone Amp/P1 Phono (MM), Rega Apollo, Wharfdale Pacific Pi-120, Sennheiser HD660S.

Canon RP (lenses from 4 - 600mm) & EOS1100D, Minolta Dynax 3, Mamiya RB67, Chinon CA4.
Toyota HiLux (Vigo) Doublecab.
__

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It was nice to meet Geoff, Paul and Mark. My first hifi show and well worth going. Listening to what was being exhibited was an enlightening experience. My ears will appreciate it when my system is back on tomorrow. :grin:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:32 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:08 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:58 pm It was nice to meet Geoff, Paul and Mark. My first hifi show and well worth going. Listening to what was being exhibited was an enlightening experience. My ears will appreciate it when my system is back on tomorrow. :grin:
I tend to find my ears ringing after attending hi-fi shows. :shhh:

Maybe I need to be more assertive in asking exhibitors to turn it down?
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:08 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Bristol hi Show

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:35 pm
CN211276 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:58 pm It was nice to meet Geoff, Paul and Mark. My first hifi show and well worth going. Listening to what was being exhibited was an enlightening experience. My ears will appreciate it when my system is back on tomorrow. :grin:
I tend to find my ears ringing after attending hi-fi shows. :shhh:

Maybe I need to be more assertive in asking exhibitors to turn it down?
Loudness was not a problem as when alone I listen at higher volume at home in the detached house. When not alone the volume is significantly lower than the show, but music is not lacking in engagement. The issue with most of what I heard in Bristol was harshness. I know it is difficult to get a good sound in hotel rooms packed with people but I was expecting a lot better. Compared to what I am used to at home, as well as harsh, expensive systems seemed to sound "muddy" as if a veil needed to be lifted.

The worst system I heard was the top of the range Chord one with Mscaler/Dave. It sounded shrill and I did not stay in the room for long. The music being played did not help and was the worst I heard all day. The speakers were Kudos floor standards. As a Qutest/Mscaler owner I was at least expecting something I could listen to for some time. This was room was my first destination.

The Linn room sounded better, but by then I had had a drink. :grin: The digital system sounded better than the LP12 but there was not much in it. They both sounded harsh. We were treated to some marketing BS which concerned what I consider to be superfluous features. Though neither system was top of the range the digital one costs 50K. Again the speakers were Kudos but this time stand mounts. We were informed that this company is affiliated to Linn.

Systems on the higher floors sounded better and there being fewer people in the rooms probably had a lot to do with it. The lifts were very slow and the stairs would have been daunting to many of the attendees. The systems which sounded best were vinyl with stand mount speakers. The Rogers system sounded nice but the one I liked best was the Pink Triangle/Funk Firm. Could not believe it only cost £1,800 with the source taking up most of this. The active speakers and sub were Phillips. My only criticism was the integration of the sub on rock. It seemed fine playing classical.

The show was my first experience of p&s speakers in five and a half years and on the systems where I was not distracted by harshness the difference in presentation could not have been clearer. I can see why many would prefer the concert hall type presentation, but I don't.

I took the opportunity to speak to Qobuz who must have been the longest travellers from France. I raised the subject of missing content and why most albums appear when I provide links from Spotify but some don't even though the label could be the same. I was told that artist have a say in the matter as well. I also mentioned that I have recently found that Qobuz does not sound quite the same through different apps. A subject for another post.

HiFi racks had a prominent stand and I informed them of the improvement brought about following the purchase of their oak stands last year, decoupling the semi omnidirectional speakers. They had not heard of NVA Cubes and asked me to send a photo.

I am glad I attended my first hifi show and met Geoff, Paul and Mark. The big lesson I learned was to the extent that the price of equipment is not a guarantee of quality. I am nevertheless sure tha some of what I heard was seriously compromised by poor partnering equipment, the variables and lack of attention to setting up and presentation. Playing music at home now I am very assured about the quality, transparancy, neutrality and musicality of my system in my room. The second system puts much of what I heard at the show to shame.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 5):
Fretless (Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:59 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:54 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:27 pm) • Nearlymusical (Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:00 pm) • Geoff_Burns (Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:27 pm)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Great write-up CN. Almost like being there in person!

:clap: :guiness; :grin:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:31 pm) • Lindsayt (Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:54 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Geoff_Burns
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff_Burns »

Alas, it wasn't me who won the Euromillions jackpot this weekend, so I don't have the pressure of deciding whether to opt for the utterly wonderful sounding Pink Triangle turntable or wait for the Rega Naia.
How hard life must be for those who can drop £12k on something like that . . .
__

Rega P3/Exact, NVA PA50/S80 (HF)/M160 monoblocks (LF)/AP10H Headphone Amp/P1 Phono (MM), Rega Apollo, Wharfdale Pacific Pi-120, Sennheiser HD660S.

Canon RP (lenses from 4 - 600mm) & EOS1100D, Minolta Dynax 3, Mamiya RB67, Chinon CA4.
Toyota HiLux (Vigo) Doublecab.
__

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Did not buy a Euro millions ticket but I entered the Linn draw on Friday. Seem to recall the prize is a Linn mug. Somewhat apt. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:36 pm) • slinger (Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:36 pm) • Lindsayt (Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:28 am)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Geoff_Burns wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:23 pm Alas, it wasn't me who won the Euromillions jackpot this weekend, so I don't have the pressure of deciding whether to opt for the utterly wonderful sounding Pink Triangle turntable or wait for the Rega Naia.
How hard life must be for those who can drop £12k on something like that . . .
Never mind. Buy yourself a Lenco. Mod and fettle it and you'll have a great vinyl source.
Or look out for deals on Jap DD's.

I find this hi-fi malarky puts the biggest grin on your face when you have a sub £1k or £2k system that sounds decent. And by decent I mean better than £20k's worth of whatever Sevenoaks have to offer.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Good to meet up with Clive and Geoff.

Getting a system sounding good in a hotel room is always going to be difficult. It's more just to put your stuff in front of people and chat to them. Most people attending seem most interested in 'what's new'.

It was a useful enough exercise for us - met up with several people in the trade, and focused our thoughts on what we want to do at the North West Audio Show in June. A few rooms were quite interesting from an enthusiast POV, too, but the WAM show is much better for that.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 4):
CycleCoach (Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:25 pm) • slinger (Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:27 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:50 pm) • Geoff_Burns (Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:40 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/