Lenco GL75 v Rega P8

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Lenco GL75 v Rega P8

Unread post by Berty bass »

I've been happily enjoying my BTE Lenco (with Audiomods arm) for the last three years, with no particular desire to consider anything else. However, I've just seen a Rega P8 (having owned a 3, 5 and 6 previously) at a reasonable price and it's, er, 'got me thinking'. Close enough geographically to not immediately dismiss either. Anyone had any experience of how it compares - or might compare - with my Lenco combo? Thanks.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Lenco GL75 v Rega P8

Unread post by savvypaul »

I've heard both, plenty of times, albeit not side by side. The Rega is leaner (which may give an initial impression of more detail) but it's less dynamic than the Lenco, to my ears. The Lenco also times very well, which the Rega does not quite match. I thought the Rega 10 was a big improvement on the 8, when I heard it.

I'm pretty much convinced that the Audiomods arm is way superior to the Rega arm (let me know first if you decide to sell the Audiomods).
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Berty bass (Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:10 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

This is my one with Saturn tonearm. Great deck.

I might experiment, I’ve got other tonearms spare. An Origin Live Encounter 3c, and Origin Live Conqueror, and a Michell Tecnoarm 2
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Berty bass
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:04 am I've heard both, plenty of times, albeit not side by side. The Rega is leaner (which may give an initial impression of more detail) but it's less dynamic than the Lenco, to my ears. The Lenco also times very well, which the Rega does not quite match. I thought the Rega 10 was a big improvement on the 8, when I heard it.

I'm pretty much convinced that the Audiomods arm is way superior to the Rega arm (let me know first if you decide to sell the Audiomods).
Hmm, leaner is definitely not something I'd be looking for. I like my listening to have weight to it. "Less dynamic" is also not a phrase that's set my pulse racing! :grin:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Berty bass wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:26 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:04 am I've heard both, plenty of times, albeit not side by side. The Rega is leaner (which may give an initial impression of more detail) but it's less dynamic than the Lenco, to my ears. The Lenco also times very well, which the Rega does not quite match. I thought the Rega 10 was a big improvement on the 8, when I heard it.

Hmm, leaner is definitely not something I'd be looking for. I like my listening to have weight to it. "Less dynamic" is also not a phrase that's set my pulse racing! :grin:
My opinion is only my opinion. I'm pretty adamant about the Audiomods arm being way better than the Rega arm, though.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Berty bass (Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:29 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:55 pm My opinion is only my opinion. I'm pretty adamant about the Audiomods arm being way better than the Rega arm, though.
Yes - appreciated. Thanks for the response.