NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

All reviews of NVA here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NVA Reviews (THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR STASHING REVIEWS)

Unread post by savvypaul »

via nvahifi.co.uk

Another Wow! The BMU has lifted the performance of my 4 A70's. They were run via an old Isotek mains conditioner, which was pretty good. But, I never realised how much this was restraining the amps. All so much freer now, more plangent, the decay, dynamics and transients are just more there. This is after just a few hours running in. Can't wait for it to be fully run in.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Paul kindly delivered my new NVA BMU unit yesterday, and I spent the latter part of the afternoon re-arranging equipment and socketry to suit the new arrival. This 'review' is based on listening to one vinyl album and three CDs, so it is only a snapshot view, but there is a noticeable uplift in sound quality. Apologies for any hifi w*nk words that follow...

The first thing I noticed I'd call 'presence': the soundstage seems to have moved forward and is sharply defined. Bass quality has improved immeasurably, being less 'wooly'. Albums I know well seem to have been 'turbo charged': they feel 'faster', & previously hidden details brought into focus. It feels far more dynamic.

I'm normally not one to make early comment, wanting to live with a new piece of equipment for some time before commenting, but this was a real surprise for me. I had assumed that my mains supply was good enough (between 236 and 244V, no extraneous noises), but it certainly benefits from the BMU. It's still early days, but all I want to do is get back home and play some music.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

---Tom---

Unread post by ---Tom--- »

Here's a review of my upgrade from A80MKII to MKIII:

This week I received my upgraded A80s. My A80s were, I think, the last amps that Richard worked on before he passed away. They were the first and, I think, only pair in the wild that were fitted with the higher quality transformers that Richard had planned to start using more widely across the product line. These amps were a noticeable improvement on the stock A80MKII. But even then, the improvement following the upgrade to MKIII spec is not at all subtle. It's not easy to describe what's special about NVA amps, but for me it comes down to the way the sound fills space - it has a distinctive kind of presence, that's very natural and very addictive. It goes without saying that the amps have retained this quality, and so the NVA magic is still there. But otherwise it's like having a new set of amps - increased detail, better separation, better imaging, deeper and more controlled bass, higher and more detailed highs. The MKIIs were certainly no slouch in any of these areas, but still the jump to MKIII is significant and not at all subtle. And importantly, even with the more detailed highs, the sound is still as natural and unfatiguing as ever - I could (and will!) listen for hours. I haven't had much of a chance to really crank them yet - the downside of lockdown is that my neighbors are at home all the time! - but what's surprised me is how great they're sounding, and how discernible all of these improvements are, even at pretty polite volume levels - the bass in particular is very present even when they're playing quietly. A couple of small points: The MKIIs emitted a quiet, but still noticeable hum. Likewse, the speakers when connected to the MKIIs would emit a quiet hum, noticeable when no music was playing. The amps and the speakers are now completely silent. Tomasz and Paul are clearly onto something with the MKIII component changes.

I sent the amps in the new boxes, which worked very well, and the turnaround was speedy. Tomasz had clearly given the amps a good clean as well - they came back looking better than they went out.

To sum up, the upgrade to MKIII spec is money well spent. Thanks guys! :grin:

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

A20se- I find these reviews difficult as I can never express verbally what I hear / feel.
I jumped at the opportunity to purchase the ‘forum member only’ offer on the A20 earlier this year: upgraded transformer and caps but still in the cute A20 size case that complements my P20 so well.
The A20se replaces an A20.
The packaging and white glove were a nice touch- the amp is hidden deep in my system fed by P20, ssp mk2 and ls6 to the doc modded drivers in a large cube like enclosure
After a brief chat with Paul today and his enquiry about the A20se prompted me to dig deep for an honest response as honestly it’s has been fit & forget (and now this review from what I said)

It’s amazing, never been happier with the music, the bass has especially become richer over time as it’s settled in and is now so musical- I remember being at Ants and listening to his ‘large’ full range and amazed at the delicate bass line / control from such large beasts- well I have that pleasant sensation in my own room- the bass is not forced and is proportionate to the type of music wether it’s AC/DC, Rag n Bone-man or London grammar.
I did a back to back ‘test’ one evening with a audiophile friend (pre- Cv-19) and both agreed at that time the initial difference was the tonal richness from vocals- vocal image held the stage better- very positive evening.
I love this little amp and honestly as it’s hidden it maybe out of sight but in reality it can’t be forgotten.
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

savvypaul
Great Britain

MODEL WORKER POWER AMP

By Classicrock

It's your high and mighty know it all attitude that bothers me more. Ever heard of 'the customers always right' If you have no intention of changing the name and reject all suggestions why start this discussion in the first place? The amp is a bloody good product and doing a great job in my office system so why spoil a good thing with a stupid mouth full of a name? I would actually go along with the suggestion of 'Worker'. A product should have a catchy one word name if you want to get away from a series of letters and numbers. Sorry to be so blunt but I'm telling how it is in the tradition of RD. Disagreeing is not being negative. People here disagree because they are passionate about NVA product not to be a thorn in your side. I have respect for what you are doing but rebranding an established product needs some long consideration.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Stephen (by email)

I'm very happy to report that the M600s are sounding great and a big step-up from the A80 Mk1s. I must admit I was surprised by how much of an improvement I'm hearing, having always assumed that the A80s would never need replacing. I'm delighted with the new amps and amazed at the enhanced detail, separation, dynamics, presence, etc. They are clearly allowing the system to perform at its highest level so far, perhaps with more to come as they settle in. They also look great side by side in the rack, better than stacking the A80s for lack of shelf space.

Thanks to you and Tomasz for a fantastic new product. I look forward to future developments with interest!
I am in the hi-fi trade

Keithh
Has thanked: 0
Wales

Unread post by Keithh »

I took advantage of the offer earlier this year to upgrade my A80s to MkIII spec and after a short wait for Tomasz to return to the UK a received them about four weeks ago. I really liked the A80s in their MkII but they where never silent to the extent that I had put them on isolating pads to reduce the hum being transmitted through the wooden shelf they were on, not a particlar issue when listening but just an annoyance. I had also got one of the first BMUs from Richard which transferred the hum from the A80s onto the BMU but the improvement in sound stage depth meant I kept the BMU in any case. So what about the MkIIIs?...

The first thing was the total lack of hum in either the A80s or the BMU, so much so that I wouldn't know they were on if not for the red LEDs.

First listen was Rovo and System 7 Pheonix Rising, it sounded a bit constrained but I expected it to take a while to bed in so was not concerned. What was it really impressive was the space in the mix and also more texture to some elements. This has become a bit of a theme with more listening over the last few weeks as the tightness went but many tracks shone with coherance and again that extra grain and texture which really pulls you in.

I also noticed that there was seemingly more grunt, this may be just better resolution of bass lines but I am generally listening at slightly lower volume levels.

This comes on the back of upgrading my P50 SA to the new spec last year and I have to say it is a real pleasure doing business with Paul and Tomasz, and the products are just great.

Thanks Keith.
These users thanked the author Keithh for the post:
savvypaul (Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:25 pm)
Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable. - Samuel Johnson
In == Vortexbox + Raspberry Pi + BOSS DAC/ Goldring 1042 + SL-1210MK2 + Phono 1
Shaking it all about == P50SA + SP + A80s
Out == LS6 biwire + B&W 602 S3
Bubbling under == BMU

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ian (by email)

I am overjoyed with the cables and BMU. When funds allow, I will be updating my P50 pre-amp with the stepped attenuator,and if possible a different elma switch fitted that I have retained from a project, which never started. And, if I can have my first generation A70 mono's upgraded in any way.

NVA has given me pleasure now for 30 years, and the upgrade path,I am sure will give me many more.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Paul (by email)

Hi Tomasz & Paul,

I am sat at home listening to an album that has just been delivered by the postie (Violet Waves by Jeremy Tuplin. I had never heard of him, but description sounded interesting). On first listen, not bad, I’m sure it will be a grower.

Now what can I say about the quality of sound, well, if I close my eyes it feels like I’m in the same room as Jeremy Tuplin and band (oh, how I’m missing live gigs). My Vinyl was sounding very good with my fairly new Pro-ject Classic turntable going through my fairly old NVA AP30. Then a horrible sound started coming out of the speakers, every time I turned the amp to phono. So the amp was sent to NVA, in the hope it could be repaired. To cut a longer story, the phono part of the amp was too old to be repaired, so now I have 2 extra boxes attached my AP30 - phono2 plus PSU, and the difference in the sound quality is absolutely stunning. So thank you Tomasz and Paul.

I’m not one of these Hi-Fi ‘experts’ who listens to lots of systems & reads about different products etc, I’m just a massive music fan, so hope this review is satisfactory. I’ve never penned a review on a Hi-Fi product before either. I am really pleased with what have now. So thanks again,
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Graeme (by email)

BMU Standard Voltage

Tiny hum that I can live with, to be really picky as it's only there when all else is quiet and you place you ear next to it.

Definitely an improvement , feels like I've had my ears syringed by the nurse.

Very happy!

And yes, my rega neo psu is now fed by the bmu... blimey! Like a new deck! (Well more like it's got more oomph).
I am in the hi-fi trade