NVA Blog

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: NVA Blog

Unread post by Latteman »

savvypaul wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 am
The RME is not a daft price, especially given the amount of features. Just sell a few of your turntable mats... :lol:
😂😂😂😂😂😂🫣
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Grumpytim wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:35 am
Fretless wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:20 am Putting a P50SA inbetween cleared everything up - and provided the protection that RD always advised as he was suspicious of digital volume controls, thinking that they could 'glitch' to a max setting and blow up amp and/or speakers.

That RME DAC looks really nice though.
If I had more cash than brains I would consider it.

:grin: :guiness;
That is the only reason I don't go 'bare', I had an instance where I did RTFM, but didn't quite understand the software feature involved and inadvertently turned every device in the house up to 100! Given that for some reason Ramones - Leave Home was the test disc the result was loud, but happily no actual damage beyond shredded nerves & neighbors was done.
I seem to recall that the DACs RD had issues with were certain ones in the Metrum range and I don't think they were used "bare". I would concur that it all boils down to the quality of the volume control in the DAC and sensible use.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Definitely, but whilst I like the less is best approach that rather stupid little incident has made me much more cautious. Sensible use is also the key, for me it was one box I ticked that I shouldn't - a bit like most voters in the UK :shock:

It also helps that my DAC's volume control does degrade sound quality, as does the one in the squeezebox touch. Which begs the question why would you implement a software volume control that adversely affects sound quality in a 'hifi' device?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:27 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Hi, everyone

We will be updating our Facebook page through out the duration of the show, as it is much easier to upload the photos from mobile
(internet down here is rather poor as expected)
https://www.facebook.com/hfsaudio

Full report here will be published after the show

p/s If you're visiting the show, pop in we have free sweets :grin:
These users thanked the author Ithilstone for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am) • CN211276 (Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:54 am)
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I hope you are having a great time. We set off yesterday afternoon full of anticipation but got no further than junc 22 of the southbound M6. There was something wrong on the Thelwall viaduct and even though I know the area inside out every detour I took ended up in another snarl up so reluctantly we headed home after an hour or so of nonsense.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
slinger (Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:19 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

You can see us at 6:32 on this YT video of the show (if I've done the link correctly, it should start automatically at that time).

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 5):
CycleCoach (Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:06 pm) • slinger (Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:39 pm) • CN211276 (Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am) • SteveTheShadow (Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:04 am) • Fretless (Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Thats looks good and makes me wish I had tried again on Sunday but lots of music/beer/gin combined with a very late finish in the small hours of Sunday morning made that too difficult. I would love to know what any visitors thought of of the show.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

A quick show report...

Red hot on the Friday (set-up day). Room was boomy and lots of reverb. Did our best to manage this by pulling the Cubes out into the room much more than we would normally...and by 'borrowing' a large pot plant from the hotel foyer!

Very, very busy during most of Saturday - started getting visitors from 0930 (despite the show being advertised to open at 1000) and queues to get in the room for much of the morning. Sunday started much slower and was then a steady stream of visitors.

We had both the acrylic and the birch-ply Cubes playing / on display. Feedback for 'the looks' was around 75% in favour of the birch-ply, but around 50-50 (or no strong opinion either way), re which sounded better. Lots of interest in the new integrated, especially when we took the lid off!

Lots of cards given out and several people proclaiming themselves serious about getting a home audition of the Cubes. Plenty of interest in the Starter Bundle (and a lot of head scratching about how we do all that for £995).

https://nvahifi.co.uk/products/starter-system-bundle

Well worth doing the show. Very friendly and well organised. Hotel rooms never sound great but 99% of visitors understand that. The words / phrases that featured most in visitor feedback about our room, were; natural, unforced, open, and 'a relief from being pinned to the wall'. Favourite moment, for me, was playing a 1932 Busch Quartet mono recording for one chap, who turned to me at the end of the track and said..."That's. Just. Music".

Finished on the Sunday, around 4.45pm. Packed up and away by 6.15. Unfortunately, we found ourselves around 600 yards behind a serious crash on the M62 on the way home and the police closed the whole motorway for 3 and a half hours. Unloaded at workshop and got home around 2 in the morning...and van had to be back by 8, so dropped it off and went back to bed!
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 6):
CN211276 (Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:46 pm) • slinger (Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:03 pm) • Grumpytim (Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:03 pm) • CycleCoach (Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:27 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:46 am) • Fretless (Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:50 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade