AP30

How to get the best from the forum.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Re: AP30

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Thanks everyone. First question how do I get the lid off? 100% acrylic case no screws :-?

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Take a sharp knife and a hammer. Place the knife on one side of the lid. Now hammer the knife gently towards the front panel (take care not to hurt it!). The same procedure on the other side. Now lift the lid with gentle force - there are two glued joints in the middle of the lid. When you close it again take a rubber based glue like Pattex or Bison and put something heavy like a big book on it while the glue is drying.

These users thanked the author Hannes-Gregor for the post:
Latteman (Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:54 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

You have obviously done this. Thank you. Can I ask what you were doing?

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

I replaced the standard pot against a linear Alps one because of the channel imbalance. I think a log one Alps would have been fine too but I wanted to stay on the save side. I haven't glued the lid yet so I could do a 'fake-opening-picture'.
Ordinaryman (Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:57 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Was hoping I could send this to Nva earlier in the year for the available upgrade. Made an enquiry, unfortunately it seems it cant be upgraded. So it would seem I will have to follow your root. Many thanks for your reply. Not so fussed if I cant replace the top just didn't want to do any further damage to the amp ;)

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

If you do everything with care, you won't damage the amp. More the opposite: The amp will benefit from your actions! Just let me know when the picture based tutorial should be continued. But I think the rest could be done without. Take a photo of the way your pot is connected. Then desolder the connections. Take a small hex wrench to take off the pot knob. Loose the screw and take the pot out of the amp. Put the new one in and tighten it. Have a look at you're taken photo. If the new is an Alps the connections are same as at the old pot.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

One more thing: The Alps pot has a small nipple to fix it at the front panel. You don't need it. Just take a pincers and remove as much of it as you can. A small rest of it doesn't disturb. Or you leave it on the pot and drill a small hole in the front panel for it to fit in. I recommend the first solution.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

It would appear I have a small hole drilled in front panel next to standard on/off light (mentioned here previously) so possibly someone else has done this before?, bear in mind it is S/H. Ill give it a go. :grin:

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:56 pm It would appear I have a small hole drilled in front panel next to standard on/off light (mentioned here previously) so possibly someone else has done this before?, bear in mind it is S/H. Ill give it a go. :grin:
Normally the hole would be covered by the volume knob. But who knows. Good luck!
Ordinaryman (Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:10 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Whether you can fit an ALPS depends on space, which depends on internal layout.

The AP30s we've looked inside had the boards fitted behind the front fascia and wouldn't accommodate the extra depth of the ALPS.

But, you never know until you open it up. We fit the ALPS to the new P50 and AP10. It's very good - but buy from an official outlet such as Hi-Fi Collective. There are a number around on eBay that may be copies.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/