Speakers again

Unread post by ChrisNeil »

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of using the following with NVA Amplification

EPOS ES22

PMC GB1

Spendor S5/S6 range

There a few pairs of the above on flea bay at the moment

I sold my old amplification and bought NVA power and pre a few months ago. My current speakers are Epos M15 that I have had for years and am looking to upgrade. I like t M15 sound but the presentation is a bit bass shy and I have to crank the gain up a fair bit to get a reasonable listening level. I am not talking concert volumes, only when the wife is out.

I don't have a massive budget and have recently listended to several speakers including Focal that I did not like , Jean Micehell Reynaud Bliss silvers, that i did like in the shop, but I thought overpriced.

I also listended to, and have on loan a pair of Von Schweikert Unifield 1 which I am currently trying but on first listen the wife described them as being "cold" and lacking the warmth of the system with the Epos M15. I do find some of the vocal presentation very in your face but that could just be the source recordings.

Has anyone any experience of using these with NVA? (They were much better when i swapeed LS3 cable for LS6 that a member has kindly lent me).

My preference would be for a floor stander and I prefer a warm sound at the expense of detail

Can anyone recommend a decent speaker stand in case I go down the bookshelf route?

Thanks in advance and be gentle I'm a bit fragile at the moment guys and gals.... "this indecisions bugging me"

Chris
Tweaked Rega RP3 - Sumiko Moonstone/Dynavector10x5
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Speakers again

Unread post by savvypaul »

The Epos ES22 would be my pick of those with NVA. ES14s are also good, but not easy to track down a cheap pair in good condition - a lot that I've seen are either tatty, or overpriced.

Cubes deliver deep bass thanks to a decent sized woofer and the wider dispersion that you get with an upward facing driver. They turn up occasionally secondhand (we have a set of pre-owned Cube 1s, but I've promised first listen (in early May) to someone who is also interested in the new Cubes - I'll let you know if they are still available after that.

I'm not a fan of PMC, but I know several customers that like NVA with them. They have a distinctive bass presentation - it might be up your street.

What price range are you looking at?
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
ChrisNeil (Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:26 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

A few other ideas...

Living Voice - the earlier versions turn up for reasonable money, and I'm told they love NVA amps.

Proac - their larger standmounts tend to have a good amount of meat on the bone.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

As a Cube 3 owner, I would certainly recommend trying to track down a second hand pair or waiting to hear what the forthcoming Cubes sound like.

The Cubes have a different presentation to “traditional speakers”. If you love pinpoint holographic imaging then they will disappoint. If you like a realistic soundstage and speakers that sound like people playing musical instruments then take a listen. You can “tune” the speakers by moving them away from a wall and toeing them in until you get a presentation you like.

I use mine on stands which I purchased on ebay from a business called oak speaker stands. I don’t know if they are still active but to be honest any stand which gets the Cubes high enough and are steady will do the job.

Have fun with your search and remember the only opinion which matters is yours and your wife’s.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Stemcor1990 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:32 pm As a Cube 3 owner, I would certainly recommend trying to track down a second hand pair or waiting to hear what the forthcoming Cubes sound like.

The Cubes have a different presentation to “traditional speakers”. If you love pinpoint holographic imaging then they will disappoint. If you like a realistic soundstage and speakers that sound like people playing musical instruments then take a listen. You can “tune” the speakers by moving them away from a wall and toeing them in until you get a presentation you like.

I use mine on stands which I purchased on ebay from a business called oak speaker stands. I don’t know if they are still active but to be honest any stand which gets the Cubes high enough and are steady will do the job.

Have fun with your search and remember the only opinion which matters is yours and your wife’s.
+1
You need to hear Cubes before making a decision. Someone who came round to hear mine last week said he was hearing things he was not hearing before and his speakers retail for little short of 6K.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Hi Chris- it’s Ls5 I lent you
Hi Paul- the change from the ls3 to 5 was a step forward- quality of bass improved and the speakers softened- what would Ls6 or higher bring over the Ls5
He has chord chorus interconnects from phono to P50, would they be interfering
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:33 am)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

ChrisNeil
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by ChrisNeil »

Hi Paul

I have managed to pick up a nice pair of EPOS ES 22's for not a lot of money that are really tidy. The guy had them tri wired which I wont be doing so need some jumper cables; any recommendations on cables/plgs etc and the best way to connect.

They don't have biding posts but plug/banana sockets

Chris
Tweaked Rega RP3 - Sumiko Moonstone/Dynavector10x5
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

ChrisNeil wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 pm Hi Paul

I have managed to pick up a nice pair of EPOS ES 22's for not a lot of money that are really tidy. The guy had them tri wired which I wont be doing so need some jumper cables; any recommendations on cables/plgs etc and the best way to connect.

Chris
I used stackable banana plugs on my ES11s, Connect two together with a short length of speaker cable, or even a length of solid bare copper, to use as your link, and then plug your actual speaker cables into the back of either plug.

Does that make sense?
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Latteman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 pm Hi Chris- it’s Ls5 I lent you
Hi Paul- the change from the ls3 to 5 was a step forward- quality of bass improved and the speakers softened- what would Ls6 or higher bring over the Ls5
He has chord chorus interconnects from phono to P50, would they be interfering
To my ears, LS6 is both more dynamic and more relaxed at the same time - which looks to be counter-intuitive, but is pretty addictive once you've heard it. For me, sound per pound, LS6 is the sweet spot in the range.

NVA interconnects are voiced to be the perfect match with your phono stage and P50. SC, SSC , SSP are all very good. TIS is in another league - I lent one to a dealer who told me he couldn't stock it (even if I let him) because he would never sell any more Chord Signatures (around £800, iirc).

Bottom line with NVA is you try at home for up to 30 days - no like, send back for refund.
CycleCoach (Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:55 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 pm
ChrisNeil wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 pm Hi Paul

Chris
I used stackable banana plugs on my ES11s, Connect two together with a short length of speaker cable, or even a length of solid bare copper, to use as your link, and then plug your actual speaker cables into the back of either plug.

Does that make sense?
We've experimented with making some to sell with Cubes.
slinger (Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:07 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade