Your last listen

All music posts here please.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your last listen

Unread post by antonio66 »

Since being recommended Ulrich Schnauss on here, I have become quite a fan and purchased a few cd's. Now my first vinyl purchase Quaeschning & Schnauss - Synthwaves, excellent, here's a small sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUkVL1_ ... ZL7FBUpyFT

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Way too far back to remember comfortably; I fished this LP out of a bargain bin somewhere, struck by the cover, and spotted a couple of familiar names in the credits: Mick Rogers (guitar) of Manfred Mann's Earth Band, John G. Perry (bass) from Caravan and Clive Bunker (drums) of Jethro Tull, with Jack Lancaster on Sax and keys. Paying my 75p I rushed it home and had a listen.

Trouble was in those late 70's / early 80's times that anything Prog was dead, buried, decaying and being nibbled at by worms. So musicianship and well-crafted albums were doomed at birth - and so was it for Aviator. This is an album of melodic and well-played rock that will certainly appeal to fans of Caravan / MMEB.

But there is more ...

Jack Lancaster had left and the remaining trio recorded a second album 'Turbulence' which is even better. Rogers and Perry had more room to stretch out and display their instrumental prowess, and throw in some excellent jazz-rock workouts.

A couple of superb albums here, lost in the mists of time. There are tracks on Youtube - but don't confuse them with an American 'Aviator' who play an FM-friendly glam-metal.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Traffic "Low spark of hi heeled boys"
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Never heard of Aviator so will have to check them out. Never saw Clive Bunker with Jethro Tull but did see him with Jude, an amazing drummer.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Just for fun - here is the same song in 3 (count 'em) different versions:

The Buggles - I Am A Camera (1981)
Yes - Into The Lens (Official Music Video)
Kim Carnes - I Am a Camera

When Yes split after 'Tormato' - Howe, Squire and White firstly called themselves Cinema and tried to get something more 'modern' sounding. To achieve this they called in the help of tech-pop-production duo The Buggles. And 'Drama' was born - still one of my very favourite Yes albums.

'I am a Camera' was a Buggles song that eventually appeared on their 2nd album 'Adventures in Modern Recording' (effectively a Trevor Horn solo record). This version of Yes then split again with Downes and Howe going off to form Asia, Trevor Horn stayed with Yes, now in the production seat and came up with '90125' and 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'. The rest is history ...

Kim Carnes - simply love her voice and I've just discovered 'Barking at Airplanes' which is great synth-rock. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Every one a winner. Bonny Prince Billy goes to Nashville. Lilting melodies, swooping arrangements. An all-time classic...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

First proper listen, not sure what I think so far...

Rick4001
Great Britain

Unread post by Rick4001 »

Fretless wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 pm Just for fun - here is the same song in 3 (count 'em) different versions:

The Buggles - I Am A Camera (1981)
Yes - Into The Lens (Official Music Video)
Kim Carnes - I Am a Camera

When Yes split after 'Tormato' - Howe, Squire and White firstly called themselves Cinema and tried to get something more 'modern' sounding. To achieve this they called in the help of tech-pop-production duo The Buggles. And 'Drama' was born - still one of my very favourite Yes albums.

'I am a Camera' was a Buggles song that eventually appeared on their 2nd album 'Adventures in Modern Recording' (effectively a Trevor Horn solo record). This version of Yes then split again with Downes and Howe going off to form Asia, Trevor Horn stayed with Yes, now in the production seat and came up with '90125' and 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'. The rest is history ...

Kim Carnes - simply love her voice and I've just discovered 'Barking at Airplanes' which is great synth-rock. :dance: :dance: :dance:
I still really like 90125, Trevor Rabin gave YES the Roundabout for the 80's with Owner of a Lonely Heart.
My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/modified Musical Fidelity X DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Nakamichi CA5E preamp, Passive RVC, Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp ,Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands, NVA LS5, Cambridge NP30 network player, Mogami with Neutrik RCA, Sennheiser HD650, 600, Koss Pro4 AA.

Rick4001
Great Britain

Unread post by Rick4001 »

Oh yes, by the way, don't bother with the rare 90214, it's utter rubbish.
My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/modified Musical Fidelity X DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Nakamichi CA5E preamp, Passive RVC, Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp ,Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands, NVA LS5, Cambridge NP30 network player, Mogami with Neutrik RCA, Sennheiser HD650, 600, Koss Pro4 AA.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

An empty house tonight, time for the volume dial to go up a notch. On with one of my all time favourite albums..