Obits

All music posts here please.
Audiomat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Obits

Unread post by Audiomat »

The NY Times Obit says Lou Reed was a practitioner of Tai Chi even in the hour of his death:

NT Times Obit

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There are many Tai-Chi's, mostly bullshit i am afraid, and often confused with Chi-Kung. REAL Tai-Chi is a SOFT martial art so most people who expect something like Karate or the many Chinese variations of Kungfu (which translated means good work!), don't even recognise it as a martial art and take the piss. Even the name as used in the west is all wrong. Chinese is a pictorial written language and is not phonetic as with Romanic languages. So there are two methods of transliteration, the original by two American academics Wade and Giles, and one produced by the communist government, as they felt insulted by Wade Giles, called Pinyin. Using symbols WG and PY so Tai-Chi Chuan in WG (Supreme fist is the translation) is Taijiquan in PY. Chi-kung in WG (Internal energy work is the translation) is Qigong in PY - lots of confusion because of this.

There is very very little understanding in the west of REAL Tai-Chi Chuan as it was taught as family arts and you had to be accepted as family to learn it (a semi religious ceremony called bai-shi to become son disciple) and that was the only way to learn real stuff. They taught the health / exercise side of it readily to everyone, but not the martial. because of this some bullshit Chinese masters started teaching hard martial art techniques and calling it tai-chi, which created even more confusion, and some denied the martial art side of the art exited fostered by the Chinese government who created their own simplified Wushi (like dancing competition) forms.

So total confusion and a source of great arguments and even fights. There are 5 genuine Tai-Chi families. Chen, Yang, Wu, Wu-hou, Sun. Yang, along with Wu are the only genuine full Tai-Chi arts now known, but still very very few people know it. You have to check a teachers family line to understand and see if they have any chance of knowing it. Which is why we have no qualifications, we have length of training with a known master of the family line. My lineage within the Yang family is my master was (he is now dead) Tian Yin Jia, who was son of Tian Zhou Lin who was adopted son of Yang Jian Hou who was 2nd generation gatekeeper to the yang Family and son to Yang Lu Chan the founder of the Yang Family art who was bai-shi to the Chen Family. I am bai-shi / tu-di (foreign disciple) to Tian Yin Jia who was based in Shanghai where I visited him and he came here as well, he died 5 years ago.

These article may help to understand http://www.art-of-energetics.com/New/tian_zhaolin.htm http://www.art-of-energetics.com/new/Interview.htm they are hidden articles from my website.

Now Chi-Kung is pursuing internal energy work for health, which happens automatically when you train Tai-Chi as a martial art. So Tai-Chi is a Chi-Kung but Chi-Kung is not Tai-Chi. Lou Read studied Chi-Kung but because of his teacher he called it Tai-Chi - wrongly!

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

A real giant. R.I.P. Lou.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Thanks for the heads up on Tai-Chi Doc.

A very intresting article - very complicated to us uninitiated.
The real masters are sadly far and few between.

RIP....Tian Yin Jia.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Really sad to hear about Lou, to be honest last time I saw him in concert 20 odd years ago he looked like he was no long for the world. My rock music is all Lou, Velvet Underground and Bowie a basis of a great youth.
Last edited by Shevans on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well if you followed your hero's lifestyles you wont remember much of it :mrgreen:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Sir John Taverner, one of Britain's leading composers of the last 50 years has died, aged 69.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... tuary.html

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

slinger wrote:Sir John Taverner, one of Britain's leading composers of the last 50 years has died, aged 69.

Interesting man. Loved some of his music, hated most of it. Sad to die so young (I have to say that, I'm coming up to 67 :o ). Apparently though, he hadn't been well for some time, a stroke, two heart attacks etc etc.

He always seemed other worldly.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Sorry never heard of him - But RIP John T none the less. :cry:

Tiz a funny old thing Death, none of us know's when it's coming for us, and just as bloody well. (When yer number's up, it's up..!!).
But if I ever make "Three Score Year's and Ten" (70) as the good book say's "Mans lot on Earth" - I will be well bloody chuffed.....
If you aint done all you ever wanted do by then - you've fucked up somewhere along the line......
Morbid or what........ ;) :dance: :dance: :dance:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm sad to learn of the death of Junior Murvin, who recorded the now classic 'Police and Thieves' for Island Records. The track became the unofficial anthem for the Notting Hill Carnival.