Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
Toontrev

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by Toontrev »

At last a live gig to report!
Van Morrison played at the Virgin Money Unity Arena at Gosforth Park last night. Newcastle's unique socially distanced music arena and an evening I'm never likely to forget.

He's still got it, unmistakably Van the Man despite he's now 75. Great selection of the old and new with a really tight band behind him. Played a lot more Sax than I recall, most numbers had a jazzier swing feel to them but enjoyable all the same.

I'm guessing a crowd of about 2000, each group having their own little pen / pod 2 metres apart with chairs provided in each pen. We were about halfway back from the front row so it was hard to see but the sound was great . On either side of the stage 2 large TV screens which is normal these days but the camera action was remote controlled and I think the apprentice must have stood in for last night as he/her managed to miss just about every solo going.

The row in front of ours only had one couple up on their feet proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that old people cannot dance and are convinced that excessive finger pointing is somehow advanced choreography. Yes you've guessed it we were directly behind them.

Couldn't fault the organisation or the staff . You had to wear masks except when in your pen, virtually no queuing and plenty of sanitizing stations. The missus said she could easily get used to this. You have to admires peoples ingenuity to get something of this nature up and running.

Did I enjoy it - Yes
Would I go again - Probably
Was it a bizarre, hard to believe this is happening experience - Most definitely.
These users thanked the author Toontrev for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:34 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Toontrev wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:30 pm At last a live gig to report!
Van Morrison played at the Virgin Money Unity Arena at Gosforth Park last night. Newcastle's unique socially distanced music arena and an evening I'm never likely to forget.

He's still got it, unmistakably Van the Man despite he's now 75. Great selection of the old and new with a really tight band behind him. Played a lot more Sax than I recall, most numbers had a jazzier swing feel to them but enjoyable all the same.

I'm guessing a crowd of about 2000, each group having their own little pen / pod 2 metres apart with chairs provided in each pen. We were about halfway back from the front row so it was hard to see but the sound was great . On either side of the stage 2 large TV screens which is normal these days but the camera action was remote controlled and I think the apprentice must have stood in for last night as he/her managed to miss just about every solo going.

The row in front of ours only had one couple up on their feet proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that old people cannot dance and are convinced that excessive finger pointing is somehow advanced choreography. Yes you've guessed it we were directly behind them.

Couldn't fault the organisation or the staff . You had to wear masks except when in your pen, virtually no queuing and plenty of sanitizing stations. The missus said she could easily get used to this. You have to admires peoples ingenuity to get something of this nature up and running.

Did I enjoy it - Yes
Would I go again - Probably
Was it a bizarre, hard to believe this is happening experience - Most definitely.
Cool. What price a ticket? And how does that compare to 'normal'?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

There are many people in the same situation as me with tickets for sell out, or near sell out, concerts cancelled because of Covid. I have four. Had an email today saying the Magnum concert I would have gone to in March, resheduled in December, has now been put back to September next year. I am sure it will be the same with the other three tickets I have gathering dust. Seems clear that cancelled concerts cannot go ahead until there is a vaccine and by that time will the venues still be around? It amazes me that tickets are going on sale for tours next year. I have not bought any since the pandemic started and will not until there is a vaccine. Music at home has never been more important.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I haven't played a gig since February :cry: I don't mind really as it would be a really daft idea. Saying that the bass player I play with in one of the bands I am in has actually played a gig recently to a real audience :shock: (outside of course). None of us rely on music as our only source of income.

The small bands are the ones who will suffer the most. As nobody can rehearse either (without being really clever) then musical quality is going to suffer as well.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Notified of the first cancellation today of the four rescheduled gigs I have tickets for, Fish in February. I am not being refunded the booking fee which is very mean.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Don't think there will be any this year. The Magnum concert rescheduled for September has been put back till April. Also have a ticket for the Nick Mason rescheduling next May. It is not just the UK situation bands are putting tours on hold until they are certain the vaccine will be rolled out all over Europe.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Eurovision Song Festival here in Rotterdam is being held with a live audience of 3500 as an experiment. Hopefully this will prove that concerts and events can get running again soon.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Went to my first gig in over a year last night. The place was packed, it got really hot and as I'm not used to standing for a couple of hours, I was knackered. Looking forward to next one.
These users thanked the author Toontrev for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:42 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

A bit late but Black Pumas on bonfire night at Manchester's Albert Hall. The venue is wonderful, the booze sensible money but I have yet to hear a performance here that's not been harmed by the sound desk. I have no idea if each act brings and is allowed to use their own sound engineers or its always the " house" sound engineers but it's average at best and quite often poor.
The Pumas were brilliant, they are one of those rare acts that are much better live than their recordings would suggest. Their front man, Eric Burton was born to be front and centre, he really has that X factor. All in all a great night out.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

An even later write up. 27th September, the Latham's at Manchester's Gorilla. £14 ticket got you in and a free signed CD of their debut album. The atmosphere was uplifting, even though the album was only released 48 hours earlier, everyone knew every word and the place was literally bouncing. The set was short probably just over 70 mins but what a wonderful 70mins it was. They are very young and look it but there's no doubt they will go all the way if they can build on the success of their first album. 👋👋👋
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables