Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Thats most eclectic & bizarre line up I think I have ever seen. Its crazy and that's before we discuss Noel bloody Edmunds and the Cheeky Girls
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Went to the Hay Festival to see Jimmy Page talk about his career. He was informative and entertaining, mainly focussing on the 50s and 60s where less is known about him. He said his playing became better and better as the guitars got more expensive. The cheap guitar he started on, which he found in a new house, was very limiting. He believes no amount of practicing can make up for a lack of natural talent. Much of the talk concerned drums and he made a big point about the importance of tuning them, saying that this was something John Bonham was very particular and adept about. It has his intention that the drums would take centre stage on Zeppelin's ground breaking first album. Because most drummers were not very good at tuning drums and it took up so much studio time they would be replaced by session musicians. As a session guitarist he was more of "an insurance policy" with drummers getting a lot more work. As a session guitarist he developed a good knowledge of the recording industry in the 60s. The Beatles were rejected by Decca because they had three singers which did not fit the current model. I was unaware that he had known Jeff Beck, who drew him away from session work and into The Yardbirds, since around the age of twelve. The hour passed very quickly and my wife. who is not a Zeppelin fan, described him as a charming old man with a good memory. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:09 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:19 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Tonight's concert by the Rolling Stones in Amsterdam has been cancelled at the last minute as Mick Jagger tested positive foe Covid.

I wasn't planning to go anyway.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

Fantastic gig this week, Bob Mould on his solo electric tour of the UK.

Still a force of nature with an electric guitar
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post:
savvypaul (Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:58 pm)
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Paolo Nutuni last night in the Bristol harbour amphitheatre. I am a huge Paolo fan and would probably travel anywhere in the UK to see him as long as the venue wasn't a cavernous warehouse type of place. I always enjoy my time in Bristol and last night's set was excellent with 4 or 5 tracks from his soon to be released new album. The sound was poor for Brooke Combe (support act) but was thankfully better without being brilliant for the main man. He was nervous after being away for so long but he soon got into the swing of it. What I admire most is he is humble and he is always focused on giving his gigs his all. Backed by 6 very good musician's it was a complete performance and one I would recommend without reservation.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
slinger (Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:21 pm)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Had a great time at the Cluny, in Newcastle, last night, in a sell-out, jumping hot (no AC!) crowd for country starlet Sierra Ferrell. Imagine Dolly Parton (or Loretta Lynn) crossed with Amy Winehouse and raised by Polly from Peaky Blinders. Classic honky-tonk bar country and blues with a twist of tango and even Django gypsy guitar. Great voice and performance and lots of interplay with the (2-piece) band. She's also a talented and unorthodox guitarist. Played 90 minutes of her own stuff and then did a second encore of a couple of honky-tonk standards...Dim Lights, Big Smoke & Loud, Loud music / Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down. Everyone had a hoot. Picked up the ticket at the last minute thanks to a friend of a friend who picked up Covid and a thunderstorm that cancelled my junior cricket training...

Tonight: The Skids acoustic set in Sunderland.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Went to Let's Rock Leeds Retro festival yesterday. Took 15 minutes to drive there. Wife and I go to this every year however we took the kids this time. They did really well to last so long sat in a small tent.

I always enjoy the day even though I have to listen to one or two 80's shite bands that you would have to pay me to listen to back in the day. I enjoyed Bad Manners who were second on - really got the crowd going. I was at high school when Tiffany burst on to the scene with I think we're alone now. The rest of her set was average but when she played that song the place went absolutely wild. Brought a tear to my eye.

Also enjoyed Nik Kershaw and Nick Heyward (Haircut100). The highlight for me was Berlinda Carslisle. She sang really well and floated around the stage like z goddess. Back in the day my whole class fancied Berlinda, even the girls :lol: She was a heavenly sight even at 63 years of age - it helps to be married to a plastic surgeon :grin: She has something special about her. Where as most of the other acts looked fat, old and tired Berlinda was a beautiful slim angel that captivated me with her movement on stage. Sing along hit after hit. She was the one my kids took notice of too.

Forget Billy Ocean and Wet wet wet ( the last two on), Berlinda stole it. I was driving this year so only one pint consumed. At £6.50 a pint I was glad I was driving :lol: It's fecking daylight robbery. £5 for a tray of crap chips, £25 for a bottle of Prosecco, €2.50 for a cup of tea. Robbing bastards, I kept my spending to a minimum as we took food and soft drinks in. World has gone crazy and some people carry on as normal - the day must cost them an absolute fortune.
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:34 am £6.50 a pint I was glad I was driving :lol: It's fecking daylight robbery. £5 for a tray of crap chips, £25 for a bottle of Prosecco, €2.50 for a cup of tea. Robbing bastards, I kept my spending to a minimum as we took food and soft drinks in. World has gone crazy and some people carry on as normal - the day must cost them an absolute fortune.

An even bigger rip off than the Hay Festival we went to at the start of the month and I thought things were cheaper "up north". Might not have been such a good idea for a mate to pick Newcastle for his 60th in October, a trip which will include racing and Premier League football.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Last night...

The Skids acoustic set, upstairs at The Peacock pub in the centre of Sunderland. I was a bit worried, beforehand, that this could have been a bit naff and I'd be desperate for them to 'give it some bollocks'... but it turned out to be a great night with plenty of singalongs and some top craic (Jobbo is a charismatic and engaging fella). The venue is owned by Futureheads singer, Barry Hyde. Timothy Taylor Landlord @ £4.40 a pint...

I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

What's everyone thoughts on this year's Glastonbury? I have enjoyed it without ever being immersed in it. I still have loads to catch up on but no one's set has yet knocked me for 6 but I haven't given up hope that might happen as I work through the missed sets on iPlayer..