All music posts here please.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by terrybooth »

Halifax
Ticket.jpg
Ticket.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Fortunately, it was Beth Neilsen Chapman who turned up.

But first a digression. I'd never hear of her until I visited a records shop whilst on holiday in Canada in the late nineties. I in Toronto and was taken to see some of the nicer bits - Brampton. There was a record shop so I went in and asked. "What's good." I came out with the latest XTC vinyl and a couple of Beth Neilsen Chapman CDs. tbh they haven't occupied much of my time since, but I felt obliged to go and see her since she'd turned up in Halifax.

The stage was set with a keyboard, a full sized Grand (a Steinway - this impressed the musicians, at least), a drum kit, an upright base, an electric base, a strat and a couple of accoustic guitars.

The show started with Scott Mulvahill who sang and played upright base and piano (not at the same time!). He was joined my Mia Morris on drums. (You can look them both up on YouTube). He ended with a song a cappella not something that you hear that often. So far, so good.

After the intermission, on came Beth with Scott, Mia and another keyboard player who was only introduced after a couple of songs. I didn't get her name fully - she's Irish, a pharmacist and a part time singer-songer writer, keyboard player and part-time bassist). The set started with songs from Beth's current Album - Crazytown.

The set was marked by a constant swapping around of instruments (everybody sang and sang well) and personnel. For one song, Beth brought up a lass from Liverpool from the audience (again, the name is gone) who had written the song they were singing. She did talk a lot about all the singing, songwriting and performance workshops she did and that is where she met the Liverpool lass. She also talked a lot about her life, people she had worked with (loads) and songwriting. There was a good deal of swapping and passing around instruments. By the end of the evening, everyone - other than the guest singer - had played electric bass.

Beth did a request set solo and the band came back for the last few songs.

At the end, I felt like we'd been invited into an artist's studio where musicians wandering in and out and joined in with whatever was going on.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Maverick Sabre, Only the Brave 10 year celebration gig at the Albert Hall, Manchester 6th Dec.

The more attentive of you will know from my previous comments that whilst it is a truly beautiful old building its sound is normally poor and occasionally a lot worse. Support last night was a young girl called Debbie and I guess she is a good singer with a very good voice but last night her voice was lost in an over the top mix, dominated by the drums.

TBH I was starting to regret buying the tickets after her set, then just after 9 Maverick hit the stage and once again the vocals were hard to decipher however before my gloom turned to doom the mix started to improve and by the 3 track it was ok and bit by bit it improved. He was on top form and the full house were up for a big night, the mix never reached the status of great but it was decent enough and certainly the best I have heard at the Albert Hall.

Towards the end of the set the feel good vibe had got to everyone and it became one big musical party. We all left happy to been a part of joyous celebration.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables