Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

The Stranglers, Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stokeontrent.
I wanted to go see The Stranglers in 1979 at Bingley Hall in Stafford but was not allowed - school the next day.
So 43 years later... Was it worth the wait?
Fanfuckintastic!
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 4):
karatestu (Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:29 am) • Fretless (Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:18 am) • Toontrev (Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:38 pm) • savvypaul (Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:12 pm)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I finally managed to get see a gig at the Brudenell club in Leeds. I stupidly turned up for the rescheduled gig in October last year only to find it had been rescheduled for a second time (March 13th 2022) So on Monday my girl and I had the pleasure of seeing Ellen Smith who I had never heard of. She has a truly wonderful voice and writes some very good songs but for reasons I don't understand her music is hard to find.
The main "act" was Sarah Klang a Swedish singer/song writer with 4 piece band, she has a voice Adele could only dream of having, lead guitarist was great, bass guitar and drummer more than decent but the keyboard player was only average but when the tickets are a mere £10 I really shouldn't grumble and I am not going to. It's a great venue, acoustics are decent,good choice of beer and amazing pies and all the staff are friendly and helpful. I will definitely be going to more gigs at the Brudenell
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 am) • savvypaul (Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:17 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

NSNO2021 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:28 am I finally managed to get see a gig at the Brudenell club in Leeds. I stupidly turned up for the rescheduled gig in October last year only to find it had been rescheduled for a second time (March 13th 2022) So on Monday my girl and I had the pleasure of seeing Ellen Smith who I had never heard of. She has a truly wonderful voice and writes some very good songs but for reasons I don't understand her music is hard to find.
The main "act" was Sarah Klang a Swedish singer/song writer with 4 piece band, she has a voice Adele could only dream of having, lead guitarist was great, bass guitar and drummer more than decent but the keyboard player was only average but when the tickets are a mere £10 I really shouldn't grumble and I am not going to. It's a great venue, acoustics are decent,good choice of beer and amazing pies and all the staff are friendly and helpful. I will definitely be going to more gigs at the Brudenell
As someone once told me: this is real music, not supermarket music. Great venue.
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:17 pm)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

terrybooth wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:54 pm As someone once told me: this is real music, not supermarket music. Great venue.
Yep. Proper!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Next up is Maverick Sabre at Manchester's Band on the Wall on the 4th April. I first saw him years ago in Birmingham helping Jorgi Smith out on her first UK tour. I have never been to the Band on the Wall so I am looking forward to that.

One of my objectives is to visit as many small to medium live music venues as possible over the next few years inspired by friends who have been to every single football league ground in England, Scotland & Wales.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

NSNO2021 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:34 pm
One of my objectives is to visit as many small to medium live music venues as possible over the next few years inspired by friends who have been to every single football league ground in England, Scotland & Wales.
Band on the Wall another great venue. I had tickets to see Soft Machine there on 28th but it was decided that I should go on holiday instead. :shock:

Trades Club in Hebden Bridge and the Picturedrome in Holmfirth, if you haven't been are worth a visit.
The Parish in Huddersfield has lots of Gigs but I was a bit disappointed on my only visit, but maybe that was because The Apples were playing without the drummer they used to have.

Q
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:52 am)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It is going on two and a half years since I saw a band which beggers belief. The wait is going to continue as the Magnum concert I was going to on Monday, rescheduled from a month before the first lockdown, has been cancelled because a member of the band has tested positive. I have Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets later in the month, fingers crossed. I am not holding my breath as this has been happening so often. There are bands I would like to see next month and in the Autumn, but I am reluctant to buy tickets in fear of cancellation and rescheduling to a date which would not be convenient. Have not bought any tickets since Covid started.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

NSNO2021
Great Britain

terrybooth wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:52 pm
NSNO2021 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:34 pm
Band on the Wall another great venue. I had tickets to see Soft Machine there on 28th but it was decided that I should go on holiday instead. :shock:

Trades Club in Hebden Bridge and the Picturedrome in Holmfirth, if you haven't been are worth a visit.
The Parish in Huddersfield has lots of Gigs but I was a bit disappointed on my only visit, but maybe that was because The Apples were playing without the drummer they used to have.

Q
Cheers TB, I like Hebden Bridge a lot, it's got a funky independent vibe - I saw Paul Carrick at the Picturedrome a good few years ago, ditto PC at Cambridge's Corn Exchange. It's reassuring that so many venues appear to have survived the pandemic 🙌

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Steve Ignorant at Newcastle Uni Union, last Friday. Not quite sure that I've fully recovered yet!

If you look closely...you can see my right arm :lol:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

ChrisNeil
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by ChrisNeil »

The Mysterines in Hull supported by Coach Party - great liitle venue by the marina and not stupid prices - Liverpool rock band, i am not one for genres and labels but their album "Reeling" is well worth a listen.

Next one is in Liverpool to see my Nephews band, "Seas of Neptune" @ 24 kitchen Street Liverpool on Wednesday 29th of April - its a fair old trek from Doncaster but hey, it's family.

Roxy Music, from my "Halcyon" days are doing a 50th anniversary "retirement pot" tour but I am not paying ridiculous ticket prices and am not prepared to sit half a mile from the stage so it's a no from me.
Tweaked Rega RP3 - Sumiko Moonstone/Dynavector10x5
Rega Fono Mk5/ TTPSU
Naim CD5X
NVA S150
NVA P50 Mk 2
NVA LS3
Epos M15 speakers
NVA LS3 speaker cable
Teufel streamer