Electronic Music

All music posts here please.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Electronic Music

Unread post by terrybooth »

Thanks to Dave for posting a link to Redshift - had a little listen but saved it until later. But prompted this.

One of this months 'Society of Sound' Downloads is an album by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (and yes, it has the Dr. Who theme - or I should say themes - on it) and listening to it brought back memories of listening to some Electronic music by Ilhan Miramoglu and 'Sonic Seasonings' by Walter Carlos. I have, of course, got the obligatory Tangerine Dream album.

So what do you think? Electronic music: infinitely textured soundscapes or electronic farts?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Electronic Music

Unread post by jimbob »

I'm a lover of electronic music. 'Ghosts' by Nine Inch Nails is where its at for ambient electronic music. Most NIN stuff has an electronic vibe to it and the new album 'Hesitation Marks' is super.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

jimbob wrote:I'm a lover of electronic music. 'Ghosts' by Nine Inch Nails is where its at for ambient electronic music. Most NIN stuff has an electronic vibe to it and the new album 'Hesitation Marks' is super.
Amazing band to see live, seen them twice now
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Indeed seen them at the Manchester Apollo, MEN arena and the 02. Mr Reznor sure knows how to put on a performance! Where have you seen them?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I made notes in the early 90's about NIN as albums to buy after dems, but never did! Thanks for jolting my memory!

'EM' definitely has it's own beauty and grace, but you have to be of a mind for it ('for those obliged to space' was a Tee Dee comment on their Alpha Centauri album - a bit early for me, I much prefer Atem from that pre-Virgin era). it works the other way too - Snowflakes Are Dancing by Isao Tomita introduced me to the sublime beauty of Debussy and although the 'technicolour' tonalities may upset some, I love both kinds of presentation, now finding and deeply loving the inner beauty of Clair de Lune as played on a piano for example.

Some EM fans dislike Redshift (Ether is a favourite as well as the first self-titled album and both now available again on CD) because much of the early stuff was almost derivative of mid 70's Tangerine Dream (Phaedra, Rubycon and Ricochet - ah those three...) and Klaus Schulze, who is something of a god in these circles. That Mirage track (LP side) needs to be listened to in total peace where you can give yourself completely to the music, which is deliberately half-composed according to the liner-notes.

Ulrich Schnauss is another to look out for. He uses vintage synths and keyboards and his 'Goodbye' album really taxes a good system as the production is like a thick treacle or fog of reverb with so much going on within the 'gloop.' He's now touring with Tee Dee and their new 'EP' is eagerly awaited when I order it in the new year...

So much out there and it's well worth subscribing to the groove.nl newsletter as they have most of it...

I know so little about this genre today, but uber-geek mode has kicked in. Sorry folks... :ugeek:
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

When I started buying LP's in the 70's I was really excited by sounds that appeared to have come out of 'Doctor Who' and consequently would buy albums just because the word synthesizer was on them.
Major turning points were '... live ...' By Klaus Schulze and Stratosfear by Tangerine Dream (which I got mainly for the amazing gatefold sleeve).
The influence of Krautrock bands like Neu! and Kraftwerk came into the post-punk scene and I followed the trail of: Human League, Gary Numan, OMD, Thomas Dolby, Cabaret Voltaire etc. etc.

As a fan of EM I have tried to trace it back to the crude beginnings with bands like The Silver Apples and White Noise who were creating their own technology from scratch in the 60's. And the integration of electronics into mainstream music hit a peak around the period of Underworld and Faithless.

I'm not only an EM fan, but have regular phases of just wanting to hear synth music. And the clean dynamics and aural soundscapes of this genre have prompted me, more than any other, to invest time, energy and cash in my audio equipment.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Afterthought: Ron Boots of Groove has a weekly internet music show called Dreamscape Radio. Featuring old and new synth music. The link is on the Groove Unlimited page.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

jimbob wrote:Indeed seen them at the Manchester Apollo, MEN arena and the 02. Mr Reznor sure knows how to put on a performance! Where have you seen them?
MEN both times, earlier this year and the final tour (after which Reznor sold all the bands kit on ebay) a couple of years before
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

:shock: lost me now. I feel a Spotify moment coming on.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've just opened up JRiver and had a quick count up, and I've got 23 Tangerine Dream titles in my collection. Air (I've only got 5 of theirs), Cybotron, Daft Punk, Deodato, Edgar Froese, Gary Newman, Röyksopp, Ulrich Schnauss, Tomita, Dieter Meier, Future Islands, Yello, The Future Sound of London... Then of course there's the stuff I've got "filed" under Prog like Eloy and Ekseption, and do I include bands like Pink Floyd and/or Emerson Lake and Palmer under the Electronic music banner and what about Pendragon and The Enid? Then of course there's my Ambient section, with people like Aphex Twin, Wendy Carlos, Eno, Klaus Schulze and Ryuichi Sakamoto. It seems that I quite like "Electronic" music, I'm just not sure where the classification begins and ends.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X