Kate Bush

All music posts here please.
wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kate Bush

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

I think 'the Flat Earth' has aged very well, quite sparse and clear production in parts adds to that Ambient Eco feel about it,sits very well with this modern thinking.

Yello was another great band of it's time together with Kraftwerk,loved Trans Europe Express,being a cyclist,
i love 'Tour De France',the 80's was renowned for the New Romantics era but there was some cracking alternative stuff.
Frank...made me do it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

jayman67 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:25 pm
_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am ... and boy did she 'milk it' to the camera for all she was worth - cough :oops:

Side 2 of Hounds of Love is an absolute masterwork imo from beginning to end, although there are standout songs after this. Was all this really half my life ago?

"Let me be weak, let me sleep, And dream of sheep...." :cry:
totally agree with you,side 2 is lovely.
if i may change the subject quickly,dave i read a thread from long ago on decca cartridges in which you said you once heard a decca gold on an alphason hr100,if you remember would you care to elaborate please.
Re The Flat Earth - I have two vinyl copies and the remastered CD. The first vinyl I bought at the time and scratched it one day, so I use it for testing out my gash decks and ancillaries. Great music and recording that hasn't dated imo... The remastered CD sounds good to me, but some find there's too much bass on the album tracks - I like the 'Search for truth' remix of 'Dissidents' though, which hasn't been 'remastered...'

The Decca was a re-tipped silver Export I seem to recall, the deck was a Gyrodec and the arm was an HR100S with a cueing device which had lost its damping. I bottled out removing the cueing device because the deck as a whole sounded so good with perfect rock-solid images, something I'd never heard before from a Gyrodec, which I tended to find a little 'swimmy.' My cheat was to put the damping fluid on the top of the dashpot and hope it would creep back down into the piston assembly (I think I was partially successful). Knowing how difficult Deccas are, I seriously didn't want to disturb it all as it sounded so very good...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot

[/quote]
The Decca was a re-tipped silver Export I seem to recall, the deck was a Gyrodec and the arm was an HR100S with a cueing device which had lost its damping. I bottled out removing the cueing device because the deck as a whole sounded so good with perfect rock-solid images, something I'd never heard before from a Gyrodec, which I tended to find a little 'swimmy.' My cheat was to put the damping fluid on the top of the dashpot and hope it would creep back down into the piston assembly (I think I was partially successful). Knowing how difficult Deccas are, I seriously didn't want to disturb it all as it sounded so very good...
[/quote]

Interesting Dave, have a Decca Gold stashed here for eternity and always meant to give it a go,
never got round to it, good to hear it gets on with the Alpha's, i've got 2 of them. :grin:
Frank...made me do it.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

shear greed! although id love to hear the decca on mine,fancy a loan?? :)
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

wiicrackpot

I know...i know..should really slap it on and see whats bitching, :lol:
but i am not a tinkerer and when my system is set up, i don't tend to touch it,
cartridges is one hifi item i am not keen on loaning, lemme think about it.
Frank...made me do it.

wiicrackpot

[quote=Rick4001
[/quote]
Another one of that era was Yello's first album You've go to say yes to another excess. A bit unusual but some very interesting ideas.
[/quote]

Agreed, what set the likes of Yello and Kraftwerk apart is they were right in there with the explosion of Punk (which i never took to),and established themselves and built on it, as you said the innovation and ideas stood the test of time.
Frank...made me do it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Claro Que Si.....

This song 'was me' thirty odd years ago :( Don't know how I survived that time to be honest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vLG4SxsVI

'The evening's young, The night begun
Between the bottles and the mirror, I'm smiling at myself
Look in my eyes and start to count, The bottles on the shelf,
Bottles on the shelf

Evening's young, And the night begun
Barman brings another beer, Could ask myself, Why am I here
Between the bottles in a mirror, I'm smiling at myself
Look in my eyes and start to count, The bottles on the shelf

I know I could at any time, Get up the chair and leave this place
I know I could at any time, Get up the chair and leave this place
I wait for me and my decision, Between the bottles, That's my face

TV shows a football game, I leave the place but all the same
If someone asked me hey guy you
Where do you go, what do you do?
I wouldn't know what I could say'
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot

Class...strange i was playing that yesterday on the 80-85 New Mix album.
Frank...made me do it.

shanewhite

Unread post by shanewhite »

Love some, less sure about other bits. In a way, it's s shame she hit her stride when she did. The Fairlights and gated drum sounds of the early eighties are so of their time that they almost seem like museum pieces now, whereas her earlier and later stuff is timeless and still totally relevant.

Amazing also the people she's been able to work with. A particular favourite moment of mine is Clapton's contribution to "And So Is Love".

I recently got hold of a copy of "Before the Dawn". Normally I don't go much on live recordings, since so often you get a poorer recording and production without the immediacy and excitement of being there. Not with this though. She may have lost a bit in the higher registers over the years, but there's a depth and warmth there that's new. Listening to "Thd Ninth Wave" is a whole different listening experience from side 2 of Hounds. Extraordinary how she can make the same pieces sound so fresh.
Heybrook TT2 (original steel chassis version)
Mission 774
Denon DL103
Vintage Partridge/BBC SUTs
EMO Systems E235 phono preamp
Squeezebox 3
WAD KEL84
A&R Arcam Alpha CD
Mission 782
Projects:
Vestax/Heybrook hybrid turntable
Bitsa unipivot with Acutex M320 III STR cartridge.
Re-housed WAD Phono 2 with Nick Gorham design shunt PSU.

wiicrackpot

shanewhite wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:14 pm Love some, less sure about other bits. In a way, it's s shame she hit her stride when she did. The Fairlights and gated drum sounds of the early eighties are so of their time that they almost seem like museum pieces now, whereas her earlier and later stuff is timeless and still totally relevant.

Amazing also the people she's been able to work with. A particular favourite moment of mine is Clapton's contribution to "And So Is Love".

I recently got hold of a copy of "Before the Dawn". Normally I don't go much on live recordings, since so often you get a poorer recording and production without the immediacy and excitement of being there. Not with this though. She may have lost a bit in the higher registers over the years, but there's a depth and warmth there that's new. Listening to "Thd Ninth Wave" is a whole different listening experience from side 2 of Hounds. Extraordinary how she can make the same pieces sound so fresh.
Bang on the money Shane, she's held in high regards by the higher echelon of the music world,
shame to say i stopped at Aeriel and Director's Cut, must check out ''Before The Dawn''. :guiness;
Frank...made me do it.