Of audiofools and Prog Mastermen

All music posts here please.
Nigel
Wales

Re: Of audiofools and Prog Mastermen

Unread post by Nigel »

I'm 55 years old. First got into prog mid seventies, my older cousin introduced me to the joys of ELP. However, I never really bothered beyond the major bands. I always considered there being good reason second rate bands remained second rate and unheard of bands remained, well, unheard of.

I enjoy yacht rock, jazz funk fusion, jazz pop. Even some new wave and classic rock. I went to a record fair in my local town today and for a couple of quid bought, Christopher Cross's second album and Matt Bianco's first. On initial listening, I enjoyed the latter a lot more.

I was brought up Church of England, in some ways it was enforced by my late mother. Had no choice but to go to Sunday school. Funny enough my dad never had to go! Just my sister and I. Still have some decent memories of the associated activities though. Probably class myself as atheist now. Although, when the time comes, I might opt for some form of traditional Christian burial. Just in case. 😉
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Engypoos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Engypoos »

Missi is also a punk rock aficionado by the way..... Although he disnae like to talk aboot it.
Ask him anything about punk rock from Dec 75 to Dec 76.
Arsk him....go on .. ....arsk him.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Nigel wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 pm I enjoy yacht rock
wtf?

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Joe, an intelligent man like yourself knows it's pointless ridiculing someone's musical tastes.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Heco Direkt Einklang

joe

Unread post by joe »

I wasn't ridiculing anything; I've just never heard of yacht rock!

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Mississippi Delta Bluesman Blind Child is older than all of youse and dislikes being called "Missy" since this is chummy and disrespectful of an old bloke entitled of veneration (due to being a Pwog Masterman.)

As to how prog-collecting started, can't rightly say. But I DO recall ORDERING "Nursery Cryme" and Strawbs "Dragonfly" from a store that was more into selling sheet music than records. In other words, I was listening to a Genesis & Strawbs lp maybe months beefwhore those lps even appeared in local stores.(Actually over a year beefwhore "Dragonfly" appeared because that was not released in North America till a long whiles later - if ever at all.)

As to how VINYL-collecting started with me, well someone yesterday on another forum asked the same question ,so all I have to do is cut & paste:

It all started with Strauss:

A man owed me dad money but could not pay. He worked with glass. So he gave us instead a "console" record player, the front of which he covered with beautiful gold glass. I think the turntable was an ancient Gerrard. (I still have this console but I eviserated it long ago and it holds lps now.)

My parents were not into music. Me mum had some orange label Polydor 78s: Alfred Hause Radio Tango Orchestra ,Hamburg. I adored these records.
But there was ONE lp - Strauss "Tales of the Vienna Woods" (or summart loike that). It had a marvellous crimson label with sorta Regal Zonophone design. When the lp played I would just sit hunched over it ,mesmerized by the wonder which is moving vinyl.

Guess I was 7 or 8.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusions, Joe.
Heco Direkt Einklang

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:52 pm Mississippi Delta Bluesman Blind Child is older than all of youse and dislikes being called "Missy" since this is chummy and disrespectful of an old bloke entitled of veneration (due to being a Pwog Masterman.)
These words from the man who called me Hansi.... :scared-shocked:

Engypoos
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Engypoos »

Call him Trampus...... He likes that.

joe

Unread post by joe »

What's his real name?