Mitch Mitchell

All music posts here please.
karatestu
Great Britain

Mitch Mitchell

Unread post by karatestu »

Love this man's playing. His jazz influenced style suited Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing extremely well. He was obviously heavily influenced by jazz drummers by his use of rudiments like drags, press rolls and four stroke ruffs etc. A few flams and explosive single stroke rolls thrown in for good measure.

I am currently listening to a JHE compilation. Hey joe shows Mitch at his best. Very busy but then its just what helped to make the music so good. Wind cries mary shows another side of him with beautiful sublety. One of my favourite drummers without a doubt and doesn't get enough praise imo.

What do you like or dislike about his playing with jimi ?
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Mitch Mitchell

Unread post by slinger »

He was a jazzer at heart and could lock down a groove, extemporise (beat the crap out of everything), and still leave room for Jimi to be Jimi. His style suited Noel Redding's bass playing too, and Billy Cox's later on. Noel Redding switched from being a guitarist to a bassist to join Jimi's "Experience" which might mean he was a more melodic player than was the norm, and coupled with Mitch Mitchell's playing it was a miracle that they could put so much in but still leave so much out. Mind you, Jimi was bloody loud, and some of the time he was playing over them rather than with them. :mrgreen:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I like the bits " it was a miracle that they could put so much in but still leave so much out." and " some of the time he was playing over them rather than with them. :mrgreen: ". The most important beats/ notes you miss out are the most important. Playing over the rest of the band is an art that Jimmy Page mastered as well.
DIY FREE ZONE

fisherman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by fisherman »

I only saw mitch once at the lyceum in London January
1970 I think with jack bruce and Larry Coryell
Very under rehearsed he was great managed to keep the whole thing together
By the end of the year jack was in lifetime with Tony Williams my all time fave drummer managed to see them at the marquee and royal court theatre absurdly loud but probably the best thing I have ever heard pity they never managed to pull it off on record