Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: 3 before bedtime

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

3 before bedtime.

Excuse the extra blab, A story to tell as quick as I can.
A very good friend of mine, a few years older than myself, was a big Steely Dan fan. A group of us used to drink, smoke, chat, watch films, play music and sit in his famous kitchen until the early hours, talking. The sort of things you do when free and single, although he was married.
He was always trying to get me into Steely Dan, but for me, no matter how much I listened to them, I just didn’t get it, or like it. After 20 years he gave up.

10 years ago this week, he died. About 6 months after that I was browsing the local HMV (long closed now) I saw Steely Dan’s greatest hits, for fiver. Bought it, played it and it immediately clicked. I now have most of their records and play them a lot.

A couple of years ago, I bumped into his wife (widow) in a pub.
She asked me bluntly ‘’Do you still miss him?’’
‘’Yes’’ I replied and told her my Steely Dan story.
‘’One out, one in’’ she said.

1 – Peg from Aja – my favourite. I love the snap and brass.
2 – Kid Charlemagne from The Royal Scam - Her favourite
3 - Aja from Aja - Maybe his favourite? I never asked.

Nighty night.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Tonight before zed I heard.

1- What a fool believes - Doobie Bros. Written by Michael McDonald & Kenny Loggins. McDonald puffs and pants his way through verse and chorus, bringing the song together from chords that shouldn' t fit. Masterfully. Incidently he supplied backing vocals for Steely Dan's Peg.

2 - Fly like an eagle - Steve Millerband. He should have ran for the labour leadership. Soothing, slipping and slumbering is what it does for me. Not up much on Steve Miller, besides a few hits well after the event.

3- I saw the light - Todd Rundgren.
It's the only song of his I know. It is well played on radio, popular, tuneful ditty but I like it, especially the drums and cymbals, they are what makes this song.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

ArloFlynn wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am No3 - meant to say it reminds me of the Handsome Family...
Had them on at work, today. Yeah, they've got something about them. And, I do like a nice murder ballad...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

The Handsome Family are absolutely great. Brett Sparks could sing "Happy Birthday" and it would still sound like someone he loved had just died.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ArloFlynn
Ireland

I shall have to have a deeper listen to them, have only really skimmed in the past.
My friend for his 50th went to see them in concert. His wife said she would treat him to whatever he wanted, but he had already made his mind up. Handsome family it was.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Well here's an obvious 3 before bedtime.
I seem to be slightly stuck on the Country side of the road at the moment. It is just a little excursion, as I'm not a huge fan in general. Good music is good music regardless of genre or band and once the blinkers are removed, the world is record lending library (terrible analogy)

As Emmylou Harris said. " I smoke country but I aint addicted"

1 - Folsom prison blues - Johnny Cash. Contains one of the best lines '' I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die".

2 -    Wild horses - Gram Parsons. Of the 3 versions of this; Stones, Gram, Burrito Bros, I think a prefer the later, but all sound similiar. There are probably many more covers.

3 Emmylou - First aid kit.
I quite like 1st aid kit, sometimes. They can get a bit "anthemy'' at times. Im not keen on anthems. Great voices though and you can always feel the epic scene they seem to effortlessly create. And of course it melds all 3 songs together.

Nighty night.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Tonight's 3, from the movies.

1 - The main theme - The good the bad and the ugly. Ennio Morricone.
Perhaps one of the most recognisable themes ever written. And said to be one of the most original, I agree there. At the end scene in paticular, the music was so strong they didn't want to detract from it, so they jusy had the ugly bloke Tuco, running in circles from grave to grave for 5 mins. Or so the myth goes. Imagine watching this film without the music! I think all this has been said before?

2 - Sean Sean - Duck! You sucker.
(Shooting in the Irish pub). Ennio Morricone.
Perhaps my favourite western. Ex IRA explosives expert, caught up in the Mexican revolution. Love James Coburn, odd accent however. The music flows more and is sad and longing. Whereas '' The good..." is more Bad and Ugly. Both scores fit the films like a Gestapo leather glove.

3 - lovely head - Goldfrapp.
The whistling sounds like it has been lifted from a Spag. Western. But it was written as a nod to the films and scores of Leone and Morricone or so I read. A simple whistle conjours so much.

Nighty night.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Some serious brass before bedtime tonight… so plenty of spins, shuffles and swallow dives please.

3 of my favourite floor fillers.

The snake – Al Wilson 1968
Great set of lyrics to accompany a thumping beat. ‘Take me in, tender woman!’

Got to get you into my life – Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers 1966
McCartney & Lennon’s penultimate track on Revolver, brassed up by the Rebel Rousers. I prefer this version to the original. Cliff Bennett has a great vocal style, not too much or too little. Far better than any over the, nasally, limp mouthed, over emotional, note bending, wharbling, shite style of singing today.

6 by 6 – Earl Van Dyke and the Motown Brass 1966.
Instrumentals are perhaps my favourite style of ‘Northern soul’. Gets me out of the chair!

Nighty night.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Evening,

Night shift this weekend, last one tonight. Sometimes staying awake in the wee small hours can take more brain power than is required for doing my job! Consumed by fatigue, heavy eyes, blurred vision. Sitting in my chair, float up stream…

3 songs of sleep and slumber. Zzz

1 - I’m only sleeping – Beatles (Revolver)

Peaceful, relaxed, solitary and content, not a worry in the world, couldn’t care less. A daydream possibly. And that backward guitar work! has so much slumber in the notes, it sounds like someone falling around drunk with tiredness. All accidental or skilfully crafted? Wow what a song!

2 - I’m so tired – Beatles (white album)

So tired, tired of what? The band maybe? Unable to sleep, driving him mad, close atmosphere. Tiredness turns to anger. All the worries in the world. You can feel the tension in this song.

3 - From under the covers – The Beautiful South (welcome to...)

I first saw them at Trentham Gardens, Stoke On Trent in 1994. They opened with this song, which for that reason, is also my favourite on the album.

The Rat Race!

‘’ It's 7.00am and we're coughing up the phlegm
Spitting out the taste of night before
And we'll vomit and we'll choke
Just to climb their tatty rope…’’

Nighty night.
Kevin.