3 before bedtime

All music posts here please.
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: 3 before bedtime

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

One thing I remember about Bank Holidays, was the ‘’Disney Time’’ Bank Holiday TV special, and always hoping for a Robin Hood excerpt. Look at this from 1973, I think I remember watching it.
Roy Castle hosted the Easter show on 23 April from the National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace with excerpts from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Diamonds on Wheels, Mary Poppins, Snowball Express, Robin Hood, The World's Greatest Athlete, The Sword and the Stone, Saludos Amigos, The Incredible Journey and The Absent-Minded Professor.

3 before bedtime tonight - Bank holiday sunshine pop music.

Our lips are sealed – The Go Go’s. Written by Terry Hall and Jane Wieden. I prefer The Go Go’s version to FB3’s version, it’s a little brighter and more FUN!

Going down to Liverpool – The Bangles. The Bangles had a few poppy hits, this Cover was their best in my opinion, fits well with a nice summer’s day in ’67.

The happening – The Supremes. Many a good song, this being slightly different and slightly better than the average and from 1967. A happy hippy summery happening.

Nighty night.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 pm)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

My 3 before bedtime, tonight, are folkie songs, all long time favourites that are good for a sing along with the headphones on. (Scooby opened one eye then went back to sleep...)

1. The Rising Of The Moon - Shane McGowan & The Popes. One (of many) that my uncle might sing toward the end of a family get together.

And come tell me Sean O'Farrell, tell me why you hurry so
Hush a bhuachaill, hush and listen and his cheeks were all aglow
I bear orders from the captain, get you ready quick and soon
For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon

2. The World Turned Upside Down - Billy Bragg. A traditional old English rebel song. Happy memories of watching Billy at the Durham Miners Gala. Chumbawamba do an excellent version, also.

In 1649
To St. George's Hill,
A ragged band they called the Diggers
Came to show the people's will
They defied the landlords
They defied the laws
They were the dispossessed reclaiming what was theirs

3. Shirt Of Blue - The Men They Couldn't Hang. I started to travel up to Durham in 1984 to visit friends I'd made on the railway. The background of the miner's strike was a landscape that I didn't fully appreciate at the time - a surreal 'other' world.

Hey there Tommy shall we meet again
In the morning wet with dew
Me at the gates of the colliery
And you in your shirt of blue
Shall we wrestle in the muddy patch
Like the other poor miners do?
We can scuff our boots we can tear our hands
And I will rip that shirt off you
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
ArloFlynn (Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Yup Billy Bragg is one of my all time 3 artists. Have loved all he has done.
I dont know the popes or the 'Men' But had GF who wad well into the 'Men' but sadly neither 'hung' around long enough.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime. Worth a listen, and another listen

Oh Canada - Nadia Reid -

A new song for me, just a one-off, I know nothing more by her. Liked it when I heard it on the radio the other day.
Worth another listen tonight.

Keep it chill in the east Vil. - Jeffrey Lewis.

I think this is his latest mashup. He has plenty of material and words to accompany. I like bits of Jeffrey Lewis, Songwriter and comic book scribe ( I was never really into comic books, with the exception of the Dandy) and find him always worth a listen – in small doses, if you don’t mind his New York twang.

Waltz #2 – Elliot smith.
Gloom and doom. Nice tune this one though. Elliot Smith, long dead, stabbed himself in the chest during an argument with his girlfriend. I wonder if that won the argument? Well worth the listen.

Nighty night.
savvypaul (Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 am)
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime. In the darkness, or is it in the light?

It came to my attention last week, that the telescope, Hubble was 30 years old, long time staring out to space. The Universe fascinates and baffles. Mind blowing stuff. Space and dust and rock n roll.

Across the universe – David Bowie. From Young Americans.

I was very familiar with this version well before I heard John Lennon’s original. I thought Bowie had taken a purposely flat song, saw it’s potential for his 70’s Soulboy sound, beefed it up and made a man of it. Or maybe he wanted Lennon to come into the studio with him and used it as a hook (read somewhere) Just my opinion. Lennon played guitar and then co-wrote ‘Fame’. A seal of approval.

Astral weeks – Van Morrison. From Astral weeks.

Van Morrison’s love song to the stars? I like the way his voice rampages, as it always does, and the flute meanders across the space created by the loosely repetitive bass and guitar notes. Great opener to a great album.

Wandering star – Portishead. From Dummy.
One of my top 10 albums from the 90’s. Every song on it is timeless. Her voice is soft, wandering and lost itself, with an industrial space age backing, and Harmonica too. Fits the bill here perfectly.

Nighty night.
savvypaul (Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:53 pm)
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight.

The Stranglers wrote and released for me, one of the greatest albums of my youth – Black and White. Dave Greenfield, who bowed out recently, was responsible for supplying the threads that weaved the Stranglers’ songs together. His finger work ,along with Jean Jaques’ Bass and an iconic album cover (most important), shoehorned my musical taste, past the end of Punk’s slightly childish ‘whingeing’’ mantra and into a slightly more mature post punk mindset.

I think all the songs are of equal merit on ‘Black and White’ and thusly, had to play the whole album. A choice of three however -

1 – Nice n Sleazy – Ok, it’s a well known single, snappy, bass driven and sounds good on any stereo and of course, like all Strangler songs, has a good dose of Dave Greenfield’s magic fingers. Oh and nice synths too.

2 – Curfew – Slightly offbeat sounding, opposing vocals and chords, very racing keyboards and in contrast, a tuneful chorus. ‘’ Stay in your homes, be off the streets by nightfall ’’ fitting lyrics.

3 – Toiler on the sea – It sounds lost at sea to me, a ghost ship, unmanned and drifting in the fog. But bizzarly it starts with ‘’surf ‘’ style guitar and of course Keyboards, weaving around Cornwall’s biting voice.

Nighty night DG.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 2):
slinger (Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 am) • savvypaul (Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 pm)
Kevin.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Toiler On The Sea is one of my favourites, too. Brilliant, driving rhythms.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

ArloFlynn
Ireland

It was a massive album in my youth and is still played 42 years on. An envy of many modern day bands.
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight -

Drawn to the B side of ‘Heroes’ by David Bowie for tonight’s three. Looking for 2 tracks to go with’ V2 Schneider’. But I find Heroes to be one of those albums - and there is a lot in my life, where the whole album must be played sequentially in order to get the full hit.

1 – V2 Schneider –
It starts like a V2 rocket homing in, on a target. Then Bowie funks a bit of Sax. over his semi instrumental nod to Florian Schneider and his Kraft. Dennis Davis’ crisp drums and delicate brush work (heard best on NVA amps) adds extra interest to the synth sound. When I first bought Heroes sometime in early 1979, V2-Schneider was my least favoured song, with all the other songs sharing equal merit. As time has passed, ’V2’ has gained equal par.

2 – Sense of Doubt –
Next track along. A walk through a post Nuclear war scene. Cold, desolate, eerie and with danger lurking, constantly reminded by the 4 notes of the Piano, should the mind wander.

3 – The Secret Life of Arabia –
Some say, it is misplaced as the final track and that ‘Neukoln’ should be the last one, with the final dying screams of the Sax ending the album. But Bowie’s not predictable and this, for some reason he has been bolted to the end. For me it has always fitted perfectly and joins the B side back to the A, causing a continuous loop of Heroes.

Nighty night.
CN211276 (Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am)
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight, rap, rap, rap. Well, I'm beginning to quite like rather a bit too much Rap for my own good these days! Never thought I would to be honest. There are many styles, all branching from an original idea.

1 - Subterranean homesick blues – Bob Dylan. From Bringing it all back home.
Maybe the first Rap song ever written? so some say. One of the Dylan songs, that when I first heard it, it spun me around and slapped me in the face. Such an original song (and the film to go with it). Many have copied but few if any bettered the idea. ''I'm on the pavement, thinking about the Government.''

2 - Brass monkey – Beastie Boys. From Licensed to ill. (I think it is the correct 'License', even though they are Yanks)
One of their fun rap songs, although all their songs seem to be full of fun. I never got the Beastie Boys when they were first around in the 80’s. It took 20 odd years before I got it. I Enjoy most of what I hear of theirs these days. It was all really cleverly done. ''Brass Monkey that funky Monkey''

3 - Jobseeker – Sleaford Mods. Jason Williamson’s explosive energy really pumps through, as he spews out words and lines with fury. His anger and wit, subtle tongue in cheek bodily movements / antics, go well together. It's all very minimal looking and sounding on the surface, but there is some serious depth to their performance. A class act, the Gruesome Twosome.

Nighty night.
savvypaul (Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 pm)
Kevin.